Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night when I returned home from my first art class, Rocky ran to me and started to not be able to breathe. A little snort like he couldn't get air a few times and then he acted like nothing happened. He has done this in the past a few times. Is that reverse sneezing? Another thing he does is when he drinks water, he coughs like he has something in his throat. He's going to the Vet the end of this month. I wanted to know what you guys thought first...I'm so worried.:unsure:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
it sounds like reverse sneezing , dolce has done that a few times .. hope its nothing.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Sounds like reverse sneezing to me. My kids do that every once in a while. Maya (my friend's Chihuahua) does it everytime she gets excited...which is a LOT! When they come to visit, I have to pick her up right away and block her nostrils with my hand. It stops right away after doing that. With my dogs, I just usually rub their throats gently and it stops. I wouldn't worry unless it happens constantly.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sounds like reverse sneezing is common and not to worry...ok, thanks!! :thumbsup:

What about the coughing after drinking water? Not all the time, but a lot. With me going away I wanted to make sure he was ok before I left and I got all my bases covered. He is also due for his booster which he said he can break up the shots every two to three weeks. Booster and shot for kennel cough,then rabies two to three weeks later.

·
Premium Member
20,073 Posts
Sounds like reverse sneezing is common and not to worry...ok, thanks!! :thumbsup:

What about the coughing after drinking water? Not all the time, but a lot. With me going away I wanted to make sure he was ok before I left and I got all my bases covered. He is also due for his booster which he said he can break up the shots every two to three weeks. Booster and shot for kennel cough,then rabies two to three weeks later.
Archie does that sometimes, I think he's drinking too fast.... (?)
it's just every once in a while.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Pat...sighing a deep sigh of relief. When did I turn into this worry wort Mommy? Oh about 36 years ago!:HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
Thanks Pat...sighing a deep sigh of relief. When did I turn into this worry wort Mommy? Oh about 36 years ago!:HistericalSmiley:
Yup - that's the definition of "mom." Tyler will occasionally reverse sneeze when he's really excited about me coming home or some other times or just for no reason at all. I can usually calm him and he's fine. My neighbor's Bichon coughs after drinking water tho Tyler doesn't. You can ask your vet about that but it's probably the same thing.

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is when it happens, when he's very excited. And here I thought it was just my fluff with me...JK. :HistericalSmiley: Thanks Susan...I am going to ask the Vet about the water thing..it happens quite often.

Yup - that's the definition of "mom." Tyler will occasionally reverse sneeze when he's really excited about me coming home or some other times or just for no reason at all. I can usually calm him and he's fine. My neighbor's Bichon coughs after drinking water tho Tyler doesn't. You can ask your vet about that but it's probably the same thing.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Maggie does this too, especially when she is excited. I tilt her head back and it seems to help. I never heard of covering the nostrils but will try it next time.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Andy used to do reverse sneezing all the time. I had found what helped him was like kinda rubbing/massaging the back of his neck. Sometimes my cat actually does this and startles himself while he is sleeping. Almost like someone with sleep apnea. I think more than anything, they scare themselves.

And as for the water. Nelson does that all the time, like after he runs around and plays hard, and then goes over and drinks water like a horse. And then he starts coughing sorta, like what you said. But only when he laps it up real fast like that after playing, not all the time. So probably just from drinking too fast. Andy used to do that sometimes too.

And yeah from what I remember, covering the nostrils helped too. It makes them breathe from the mouth, which then stops the reverse sneezing. Just gently for a short time. His never lasted more than a few seconds though.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts