Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alice is 11 weeks old today and I want to get rid of the tear stains. Can I start now?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Not sure what you mean by "treating", but if you're talking about Angel Eyes/Tylan, Alice is too young. It can stain/damage her permanent teeth while they are still in her gums. You have to wait until she is finished teething.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i don't have angel eyes or tylan, it's stuff you put on a cotton ball to clean the area.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
You can start using what you have now, it won't harm her...but it won't work. :) Tear stain removers don't generally work, but keeping the eye area clean & dry does help! Has anyone suggested you wash her face daily with Spa Lavish Facial Scrub? It is great at cleaning the eye area and smells heavenly! Until Alice is about 1 year old, you shouldn't be too concerned about her tear staining as right now it's just from teething. :)

She looks beautiful, by the way. I'm so glad she's in a good home now despite her rough start!

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
You can start using what you have now, it won't harm her...but it won't work. :) Tear stain removers don't generally work, but keeping the eye area clean & dry does help! Has anyone suggested you wash her face daily with Spa Lavish Facial Scrub? It is great at cleaning the eye area and smells heavenly! Until Alice is about 1 year old, you shouldn't be too concerned about her tear staining as right now it's just from teething. :)

She looks beautiful, by the way. I'm so glad she's in a good home now despite her rough start!
Great advice above! :thumbsup:

And the good thing about you starting the face cleaning regimen with the Spa Lavish Facial Scrub, is that Alice will get used to the routine at a young age. And it really does smell that good!

I use a baby wash cloth for the scrub, they are thin, so they are easier to use.

Sounds like your an excellent Mama for Alice!

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great advice above! :thumbsup:

And the good thing about you starting the face cleaning regimen with the Spa Lavish Facial Scrub, is that Alice will get used to the routine at a young age. And it really does smell that good!

I use a baby wash cloth for the scrub, they are thin, so they are easier to use.

Sounds like your an excellent Mama for Alice!
thanks guys :) i'll look it up and see if i can't order any now.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
574 Posts
You can clean the area with a gentle cleaner and keep it nice and dry with a little cornstarch combed through.
honestly, you hit it right on Nikki's Mum :) gentle cleaner, DAILY or TWICE daily if you can and you need to keep the hair out of the eyes...so you either need to keep that hair around the eyes trimmed, or you need to start banding it, when it gets long enough to fit into a band between the eyes..like this:

Ritzy had bad tear stains before I got her. (see photo below, she was 6 weeks) The above photo was taken when she was 4 mo old, ~1 month after getting here. See how light the stains got? I used Anna's products (which I have used on 4 dogs/puppies and it always works, just takes DILEGENCE and time, but you can use whatever you want, you just need to DO it, daily!!!)

They stayed this bad, if not worse, until she came to my house. So, just keep the area cleaned with a cleaner (don't use the products with anbiotics, you do NOT need them) and I don't think that tear staining as a puppy is always due to teething... many times it is the hair in the eyes.

Pictures of your baby please :)))

Karla and Girlz

·
Registered
115 Posts
Alice something else that might help is to have her trimmed around the eye area. Sugar had tear stains when i first got her and I had her trimmed and used( with a cotton ball) crystal eye that you get at the pet store. Now she don't have tear stains. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Alice something else that might help is to have her trimmed around the eye area. Sugar had tear stains when i first got her and I had her trimmed and used( with a cotton ball) crystal eye that you get at the pet store. Now she don't have tear stains. Good luck!!
If you want to go this route, be very careful trimming or have a groomer do it (although I would wait until she is fully vaccinated before taking her to a groomer) Once you cut that hair, it's hard to grow back (takes FOREVER) so make sure it's something you want to do.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
i think the breeder tried to trim her hair and now its at awkward lengths around her nose and eyes (UGH), so it's not quite long enough to pull back into a band - but pretty close... i'm guessing maybe a month or less? i'm going to try clipping it back with these little flower clips. they're very light, so i don't think it's going to bother her at all. she seems completely comfortable with everything going on at our house, so i'm thinking i'll start washing her face today. i've been using a warm wash cloth, but it hasn't helped much.
i don't want to clip the hair around her eyes because i want it to grow out. i want to put her hair in bands, so i'm just going to let it all keep growing and clip it when necessary.

thanks everyone :D

EDIT: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Goody-Clear-3-Different-Sizes-Hair-Rubber-Bands-1-ct/12018417 can i use these to pull her hair out of her face?

·
Registered
574 Posts
i think the breeder tried to trim her hair and now its at awkward lengths around her nose and eyes (UGH), so it's not quite long enough to pull back into a band - but pretty close... i'm guessing maybe a month or less? i'm going to try clipping it back with these little flower clips. they're very light, so i don't think it's going to bother her at all. she seems completely comfortable with everything going on at our house, so i'm thinking i'll start washing her face today. i've been using a warm wash cloth, but it hasn't helped much.
i don't want to clip the hair around her eyes because i want it to grow out. i want to put her hair in bands, so i'm just going to let it all keep growing and clip it when necessary.

thanks everyone :D

EDIT: Walmart.com: Goody: Clear 3 Different Sizes Hair Rubber Bands, 1 ct: Hair Care can i use these to pull her hair out of her face?

Well, make sure you do it as soon as you can (go back and look at Ritzy's photo) because most people wait too long. It can be put into bands between teh eyes, pretty quick...then hold her, so she doesn't get down right away and rub it out.. she'll get used to it, quickly.

As for bands, go and look at some of the show bows sites. you need very light ones, that won't break hair

Karla~N~Girlz

·
Registered
373 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well, make sure you do it as soon as you can (go back and look at Ritzy's photo) because most people wait too long. It can be put into bands between teh eyes, pretty quick...then hold her, so she doesn't get down right away and rub it out.. she'll get used to it, quickly.

As for bands, go and look at some of the show bows sites. you need very light ones, that won't break hair

Karla~N~Girlz

i put two cute pink clips in her hair. i distracted her for awhile because she didn't like them at first. i kept them in her hair for maybe 5 hours :)chili:).

how do i know if the bands are going to break the hair? wouldn't the ones i posted work?

·
Premium Member
2,025 Posts
I can't tell how big the Walmart human hair bands are, but I would guess they are too big.

Grooming bands are about 1/4 inch in diameter. I think they have some kind of coating on them that keeps them from tangling the fur too much. But usually people just cut them out.

The grooming bands come in packages with large numbers of bands in each package. I think I had two packages in my Maltese's whole life. :D When he got older, I didn't do topknots very often--partly because I wasn't very good at it. More often I did a single ponytail with the smallest human terrycloth ponytail holder. :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts