Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,
I was looking at the websites for Artemis and Merrick foods, and was thinking of ordering some. But Codi is only 5.5 months old, and didn't know if I should stop using the puppy formulas or just continue with it and for how long? There seems to be so many yummy types of canned food, but I didn't know if he was old enough yet for them or just stick to puppy stuff.

THANKS! :D

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Your baby needs to stay on Puppy food a lil longer. You want to start feeding them adult food close to 1 yr. I think I did it a couple months earlier but that's because I ran out of food at that time.

Because they are puppies and playful, they need the extra calories that puppy formula offers.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Aug 14 2005, 11:59 PM
Your baby needs to stay on Puppy food a lil longer.  You want to start feeding them adult food close to 1 yr.  I think I did it a couple months earlier but that's because I ran out of food at that time. 

Because they are puppies and playful, they need the extra calories that puppy formula offers. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90532
[/QUOTE]
I agree, 5 months is still a puppy.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by wizzyb@Aug 14 2005, 10:55 PM
Hey guys,
I was looking at the websites for Artemis and Merrick foods, and was thinking of ordering some. But Codi is only 5.5 months old, and didn't know if I should stop using the puppy formulas or just continue with it and for how long? There seems to be so many yummy types of canned food, but I didn't know if he was old enough yet for them or just stick to puppy stuff.

THANKS!  :D
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90529
[/QUOTE]

If he eats really well now, adult food would be fine. The main reason I recommend puppy food for small breed puppies is that it has more calories/cup so the dog can eat less. Many small breed puppies just don't eat a ton so that is a better situation. For growth, however, I go with Pat Hastings that they don't really need all that much protein...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts