Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All. I couldn't find a thread on this question. When should I expect a maltese to be fully trained? I know it's hard to say but perhaps a ball park figure? 6 months? 1 year? thanx alot!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi is 17.5 months old and is about 90-95% trained. Nikki is 12.5 weeks old and is about 60% trained as long as i stick to the schedule.

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
As you can see it varies from pup to pup, Scooby was very good from about 4 months on, but I still had to watch him and make sure I read his signs because he never yips to go out or go to the door, he just looks at me with that little stare that says he wants to go potty. The secret is to be vgilant and keep to a tight regiment till they get the message. I would say most are probably close to 100% by 12 months.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanx for all the replies. MuShu is about 90% trained in his "area" which is a section of the living room. Should I still keep the pads @ the same place once he has full access to the rest of the living room? Or move the pads more to a central area so he can find it?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
took me 3 months with sprite, so she was 6 months old. ellie was 5 months old. and gruffi didnt have accidents after he was 7 weeks old (i got him when he was 5 wekes old)

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Our pup is 10 months old...according to my vet, 2 months with no accidents would be considered "potty trained". I'm not sure I agree, but I think you'll know when your pup is reliable. Once they've mastered their small area, you can gradually introduce a bit more free range (that what we call it). Bit by bit they get it. Are you using the crate? Our pup loves her cabana (what we call the crate) and goes in on command.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts