Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

Do you pick up your dog's poop when you are out on a walk?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

• Sometimes

• Total voters
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what everyone does with their doggie's poops when they do their business out on a walk. I usually pick it up, I always bring pooper scooper bags with me.. but there's been a few times that Tuffy has pooped more times than I've had bags for, so I had to leave it. I made this a poll so you can vote anonymously :ph34r:

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I try to always pick up the poop. I live in an apartment building so I have to pickup the poop outside ($50 fine if you don't). I use sandwich bags (the ones with the fold). I keep a box right by the door where I keep Lexi's leash. I seem to always have a plastic bag. Just a habit I've gotten into.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I save the long plastic bags my newspapers come in and wind them up into little balls and keep a bowl full by my front door.

When I travel I rubber band a "bouquet" of these bags together and keep them in a pocket in his carrier.....

Because they are long I can invert the bag, twist it, invert it again, twist it, etc. so the Poop is well wrapped for the trash. And they're free!

·
Registered
755 Posts
Since we live in LA, picking up poop is a must. <_< If you are living in a rural area then I don't think it's a big deal to not pick it up, as long as there is no chance of somebody stepping on it. :D

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
We often walk our neighbor's dog and we always (as do they) pick up the poop. I think it's the neighborly thing to do. We save produce bags or newspaper wrappers for just this job. I stick my hand all the way in the bag like a glove and pick up the poop. I then take off the bag leaving the poop inside. Just make sure your bag doesn't have a hole in it!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Always, Always, Always!

It drives me crazy when people don't pick up after their pets, especially when it is some ones yard; kids may run outside to play and step in it! Now malt poops are quite small but I still pick up after Tiki, I hate it when I am walking him and someone with a very large dog has left behind the mess. I agree with Salty Malty.. it is the neighborly thing to do. We use "diaper disposal" bags from the Dollar Store... 100 for $1. They are scented so you don't have that odor while you continue your walk. The also have two little handles so you can time the bag closed nicely.

Judi

·
Registered
447 Posts
We have a house with a big backyard so no.... i don't pick up the poop... sorry!

It fertilizes the grass though!

Besides... it seems she makes it more in the house than outside! Gosh I don't know WHAT to do... she will be starting training classes next week though. Hope they can help us!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
in yards....we always pick up. but gruffi loves to go into the paseo(its like a sidewalk area away from traffic...usually behind houses. we have a bunch in the new house areas). anyway, in the paseo there's bushes and stuff...and gruffi will back up for his butt to be against the bush and poo. so those we dont pick up, cuz we cant. lol.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I live in a townhome complex that is also within the city limits (Raleigh, North Carolina), so picking up after your dog is a city ordinance. Still, it amazes me how many people don't pick up the poop. There are wonderful sidewalks that connect a small shopping plaza, townhouses, private homes, even a very upscale assisted living place so a lot of people walk in this area. The whole area is kept beautifully landscaped and mowed, but it is disgusting to see (and smell) all the piles of poop people leave behind in the little grassy area between the sidewalk and the road. It makes me so mad and I am a dog lover! I can't imagine how parents pushing their babies in strollers must feel!

So yes, I always pick up after Lady. I tie a few fold type sandwich bags to the handle of my retractable leash, keep a few in my coat pocket, etc.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You know what bugs me the most about the whole picking up poop thing.. whenever I'm out on a walk I'm always picking up my little dog's tiny poops but I never see the big dog owners around here picking up their dog's huge pile of poop.. I never really see anyone out with small dogs. <_< Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever seen anyone besides my sister and my self pick up after their dogs, EVER. People here are super disrespectful.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
My apartment has little "Doggie Doo Stands" all over our complex. They have little bags and a garbage can (kind of like the diaper genie)...very nice feature of our complex... also..if catch someone not picking up after their dog (like the HUGE rottweiler below us) they get fined $50 and the person who turned them in gets the $50!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by nataliecmu@Oct 28 2004, 01:41 PM
My apartment has little "Doggie Doo Stands" all over our complex. They have little bags and a garbage can (kind of like the diaper genie)...very nice feature of our complex... also..if catch someone not picking up after their dog (like the HUGE rottweiler below us) they get fined $50 and the person who turned them in gets the $50!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=13715
[/QUOTE]

That is great! I wish my apartment complex did that. There is a huge lab that the owner never picks up after. But for some reason when someone complains they think it is from my side of the building. Everyone over on my side has little dogs except for the pit bull. I think the poop is even too big to be his.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
when we lived in a townhome, there was only grass areas so gruffi only pooed on grass. we always picked up our dogs poo---and a neighbor who hated us called the home owners association and they sent us a letter saying that if we dont pick up our dogs poo that they'll fine us.
i was soo pissed off. this lady across the street wouldnt pick up her dogs poo and she had 3 big dogs and we couldnt even walk in the grass area near her house. ugh!! i hate people sometimes.

DMZ dogs---Thats sooo funny. sprite does the same thing like "what are you doing". lol.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
We live on a large corner lot and it seems there is always a pile of big-dog poop on our lawn by the curb. That tells me it is from people walking their dog so it can poop on someone else's lawn and not thiers.

I discovered one culprit and the next time I saw him walking his dog (off-leash, too) I said to him "your dog's not going to poop on my lawn is he?) He had the nerve to tell me he never does that! But I couldn't see the point in him walking the dog to our corner and then turning around as if going back to his house when his house is 2 houses away from ours! Why was the dog getting such a short walk if not for the purpose of pooping elsewhere?

And then their are other owners who just let their dog out of the gate or house to run loose for the same purpose of pooping elsewhere. Rrrrrrrrr! :ph34r:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts