Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
942 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Chanel is 5 months old now. My breeder told me that she should be spayed at around 8 months old. Isn't this too old?

When did you have yours spayed/neutered or when do you plan to get it done? (I did a search and didn't find a topic on this!
)

Thanks,

~Elegant

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi was spayed at 6 months. I almost put it off for another month but a lady at work has a dog that went into heat at 7 months. I did not want to have to deal with that so I kept my appointment. One of the vets I went to told me Lexi could have been spayed at 4-5 months. I put it off until she was almost done teething. That way if she needed to have any teeth pulled it could be done when she was being spayed.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i did sprite and ellie at 5 months...i wanted to do it before their first heat because that decreases their chance for cancer. ellie went through heat once before her spay....so that means she has a greater chance of getting cancer than sprite. i forget the perecentages, but if they go through one heat, its like 5% chance, 2 heats its like 11% chance. something like that. i forget where i found it. sorry.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts