Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I spoke to my vet and did a bunch of research and had planned to spay Audrey at 6 months old (beginning Feb). I just got an e.mail from her breeder, saying that it is much too early and we should wait until she is at least 8 months old.
Audrey is 3lbs. Any advice much appreciated, I am torn on what to do - we want to spay her before her first heat, at what age does that normally occur??
Thanks!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I think you should go with what your vet says. Noriko was suppose to get spayed when she was 8-9 mos but then she started
. 6 mos. is the general rule of when you should spay. Take care

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i agree, go with what ur vet says. most vets spay at six months. it is safe...just make sure to run blood work before hand and that way the vet can make sure all her organs can handle the anesthesia. also check to see if your vet uses gas anesthesia..it's the safest.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
This is such a tough call. Just couldn't bear to put Audrey at risk - but then letting her have her first heat could also put her at risk for the future.
I guess we'll just have to go with my gut.

This an e.mail I literally just got from the breeder - it has sown the seeds of doubt:

"She is tiny - they come into heat later than a larger girl. Vets don't know everything - especially about maltese. As a breeder- I recommend tht you wait for the safety of the dog.

My Abbey - 4 lbs- Wendy 4lbs - precious 4lbs - didn't come into heat until after a year old."

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Mine is a LITTLE over a year now and she had her first heat at 8 mos. She's 4.7 lbs.

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Your pup's boots are soooo cute. Where did you find them?

I think that you should go with your gut as far as the spay is concerned. The breeder is not a vet, and while he may know about maltese, he may not know about the medical consequences of waiting. Just because he thinks that the dogs don't go into heat until 8 or 9 months, doesn't mean that they won't go sooner. Just like the breeder who says that a dog won't get more than a certain weight...they never really know for sure how much a puppy will grow and how big they will ultimately become. They can make an educated guess, but it may be wrong. And I would wonder what risk the breeder is concerned with. Is there really that much difference between spaying a 4lb. dog vs. a 6lb. dog? I would think the risks would be about the same. Maybe one of our budding vets could chime in on this. Is your breeder local or is he out of state? Maybe the veterinary practices are different in his locale than they are here in NJ?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
My vet also suggested getting chelsey spayed at 6 month febuary as well.
I still have to make the appointment

My first maltese has her first heat at 6 months... I would not wait to long.

I will deffinetly get it done soon as we have a male dog in the home.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
My six month old babies are both getting spayed on Wednesday. And they have to stay overnight. I just dread it, but I've got to get it done. I kept putting it off with the cocker we had years ago and she went into heat. I don't want to do that again, that's for sure! They are doing the bloodwork and microchipping them all at the same time. I just DREAD the whole thing. I feel your pain.

PS. Mine are both within a few ounces of each other - approx. 4 pounds.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
vets spay small animals all the time...they are even spayed sooner in the shelters. at the vetschool and at my vets office...the dogs are hooked up to monitors through the whole procedure. for ur breeder to say vets don't know everything is true..but vets know the most about spays/neuters. im not a vet yet and i've already spayed over 15 animals...allmade it through. its a very simple procedure, and i would do it at six months, if that is what ur vet recomends. as long as ur pet is healthy, there will be no probs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts