Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok....... I know I already asked, but

we will be traveling on a plane for almost 15 hours to alaska. I am gettig mixed feedback about what to do about food and also about giving benadryl.

How do you keep your pet calm?

How many hours before the flight do you not feed your pet?

our maltese will be my carry-on, so she will be with me the entire time.

·
Registered
802 Posts
ok....... I know I already asked, but

we will be traveling on a plane for almost 15 hours to alaska. I am gettig mixed feedback about what to do about food and also about giving benadryl.

How do you keep your pet calm?

How many hours before the flight do you not feed your pet?

our maltese will be my carry-on, so she will be with me the entire time. [/B]

hey, you're worried, who can blame you. that is a long trip for anyone. personally, i would go with the natural relaxers, I even read somewhere that they use melatonin for dogs...feel free to look it up...that's a pretty mild sedative.

Also, I read stop feeding 4-5 hours prior to flight. Personally, I would hand feed some kibble during that flight, it's way too long to go hungry. He'll be with you, so if any accidents you can always go to the lavoratory and clean up. I would also deffinitely use the lavoratory to take him out and stretch him and let him play a little....that is an EXTREMELY long flight. I went to austrailia, and I had a hard time staying calm for 20 hours!! yuk..stiffness.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I would be sure to have a puppy pad in her crate and also have a couple extra ones on you. If she goes in her crate you can go to the bathroom and put a new one in the crate. You can also lay one on the bathroom floor for her to go on once you are in there (if she hasn't gone yet). I would give her little water and little food. Just a little food and water should hold her for a 15 hour flight.

*oh and are you sure you can take her as a carry on? Some flights make you reserve this right so they don't have more than a couple pets on each flight. Before 9/11 I know some people got away with bringing them as carry ons without asking, but it will be harder post 9/11.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I would say to try the benadryl a few days before hand. One of my dogs gets drowsy which is good, but my other dog gets super hyper from the benadryl. Your vet or LadyMontava here can help with the dose. We used the liquid childrens benadryl. I gave it to Peanut a week in advance to test his reaction and then on the day of the flight I gave it to him at the airport about 15 mins before we boarded the plane. My vet said I could repeat the dose every 8 hours, but my flight was not long enough to require that. I've never flown that long with a dog, so I'm not sure if this is good advice for you, but I only fed a small amount of kibble the morning of the flight and I know Peanut would be able to hold his pee during our short flight, so I let him have his water, just made sure he peed before we left. He usually only poo's in the morning and at night, so as long as he pooed in the morning , I felt he would be fine. Does your pup use pee pads? Someone here suggested before to take the pup into the bathroom and put down the pad for her during the flight, so she can have a chance to go.

How is she in her carrier? The more comfortable you can get her to feel in her carrier the easier the flight will be on her. I just brought some of Peanut's favorite treats and I gave him little bits during the flight. I put a little towel in the carrier for him to cuddle up in and a chew bone and a non squeaking toy. good luck

1 - 4 of 4 Posts