Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
there are 3 phases of anesthesia....premedication(injections to relax the animal) then u have induction (used to put them out quickly and safely to but in the trach tube) then maintenance which should be gas like isoflurane.

some vets dont intubate and they just use a long acting maintenance medication...(not good) a trach tube is not placed so they dont have a good airway. this increases their risk of aspiration (inhaling vomit/spit/ etc.)

for maintenance if your vet does not have isoflurane for your malt, DO NOT let them operate on your pet.
for induction agents propofol is a preferable choice for induction but one i dont consider a must. there are other good choices like ketamine/valium combo. they will be chosen based on the pets age, health etc.
there are a variety of premeds out there if u have a question about a particular one your vet uses, post it and i can give you info.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would be hesitant to use ket/val on a tiny breed dog like a Malt puppy if avoidable, especially if the dog has not had bile acids tested. I want them to be able to wake up really quickly. Of course, I hate anesthesia LOL

Just curious...what have they taught you about Sevo in vet school?

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
they say the sevo drops their pressure really low, decreases their temp. not recommended for most patients. i forget what else

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I agree 100%... This is the EXACT reason I took Kodie to the special 24hr care place for his neutering and baby teeth removal. The head surgan told me exactly what they were going to do... they did use the isoflurane.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jul 10 2005, 03:46 PM
they say the sevo drops their pressure really low, decreases their temp.  not recommended for most patients.  i forget what else 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80151
[/QUOTE]

The CO2 uptake granules Abbott recommends don't necessarily work...small detail, eh?

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
Our vet clinic uses sevoflurane. They don't say on the bill what they use for induction. I know they put a trach tube in. They are on a Respiratory/ECG Monitor and have an IV catheter w/fluids.

·
Premium Member
949 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Jul 10 2005, 10:55 AM
there are 3 phases of anesthesia....premedication(injections to relax the animal) then u have induction (used to put them out quickly and safely to but in the trach tube) then maintenance which should be gas like isoflurane.

some vets dont intubate and they just use a long acting maintenance medication...(not good)  a trach tube is not placed so they dont have a good airway.  this increases their risk of aspiration (inhaling vomit/spit/ etc.)

for maintenance if your vet does not have isoflurane for your malt, DO NOT let them operate on your pet.
for induction agents propofol is a preferable choice for induction but one i dont consider a must. there are other good choices like ketamine/valium combo.  they will be chosen based on the pets age, health etc.
there are a variety of premeds out there  if u have a question about a particular one your vet uses, post it and i can give you info.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=80069
[/QUOTE]
I'm so glad you posted this information. Our Dixie goes for her spay on the 21. I am going to print this thread and discuss it with my vet. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
Thanks for the information Lady M....as always, you are a tremendous resource to us all. BTW, I love Parker's photo....he is a very handsome young man!

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
I just searched and read this post because I'm trying to find a vet for Tango to get neutered at. My vet doesn't implant the microchip, so I am tasked with finding a vet to neuter him and implant the microchip. One vet I called uses sevo and another one uses sevo or iso. If sevo is not recommended why are so many vets using it? Also, has everyone asked their vet if they use a trach tube?

I'm worried getting Tango neutered to begin with and now I'm worried because he will have to go to a different vet. One of the vets I called, I used a long time ago with one of my cats. They are very good, but a little pricey.

Any information on anesthesia is appreciated.

·
Registered
8,535 Posts
Thanks Jaimie. I always wonder and a little scared of telling someone how to do their job though. I think they may get insulted. this is a weakness I have
. hope sparkey doesn't suffer from my weakness. I'll try to come up with a way to suggest it when the time comes. or maybe I just drive to your clinic

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
Thank you for this information!! Lucy is being spayed tomorrow and *sniffs* I'm worried about her. It's not helping that she is absolutely refuses to eat today yet I can hear her stomach gurgling from the next room. She looks pitiful, darnit. If she refuses to eat anything today, do you think I should I reschedule her spaying? She won't even touch any treats or her newfound beloved Cheerios, even though I've been trying to hand feed her all morning.
She really needs to gain weight, not lose it!!

·
Registered
4,703 Posts
I'm glad to see this post because Mikey is having cherry eye surgery on the 21st. I worry more about him being put under then the surgery itself. Thanks for posting this Jaimie.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
My vet uses sevo for short procedures like teeth extractions and cleaning.

I don't believe they will use it for spay/neuter. I like it because they bounce

back by the time I pick them up. No drowsy effects the rest of the day/evening.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.