Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My doggie is named Maggie. The little girl that owned her before me...had already named her so I am sticking with it! It suits her! But I also call her Booger, Waggie Maggie, Ewok (you guys are right...they DO look like Ewoks), etc.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
I'm sooo glad you put up this thread!!

Sprite is from Rainbow Brites cartoon, she had a friend named Twink and he was a Sprite (i thought his name was sprite, so thats why my baby has that name....but if i had known that her friend was named twink...that would've been sprites name)

Ellie was named by Cynthia (her mom), because Cynthia likes white elephants. because white elephants are lucky. so ellie and cynthia's "white ellie-phant".
she's good luck.

And Gruffi was named by me and cynthia. we were thinking of a few names like bear, maximus <--i liked that name. but cynthia wanted something cute. so we were torn between Tummy and Gruffi. If you dont know which cartoon its from--you're missing out! Gummi Bears

cathy

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Pico was named Picasso by his original owner, my granddaughter. When she let us adopt him I found the name awkward but didn't want to deviate far from his given name.

Since we live in Texas and Pico de Gallo is my husband's favorite food, we just took the "ass" out of Picasso and he became Pico!

·
Registered
42 Posts
My children named our maltese Angel after a dog in the Lady and the Tramp part 2, I can't remember the exact name, she was Scamp's friend. The movie came out right before we brought her home. Personally it wasn't my first choice, I liked Molly, but I was outvoted.

Kristy

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
twinglemom---you can never vote!! lol. if we voted on sprites name, her name would've been 'baby'. but i had a little parakeet when i was 10 named baby.....and i cant do the same name for different animals. my mom calls my turtle "catalina" and i call my turtle 'turtle'. im not creative. lol.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I originally posted the following about a year ago but seeing how I love talking about my dogs I will share it again. From an Aug 2003 post
"How did you choose your dogs names?

I work as an Elementary library clerk and I chose Bentley's name from an award winning childrens book titled Snowflake Bentley it's a Caldecott medal winner for the art work in a childrens book. It's a biography about a man name Wilson Bentley whom back in the early 1900's was the first to photograph snowflakes. He loved the beauty or the white snowflakes and here's a little quote that inspired me. "I found the snowflakes were masterpieces of design" he said. " No one design was ever repeated. When a snowflake melted..... just that much beauty was gone, without leaving any record behind.
I thought the same about this beautiful little breed, no two alike, each a masterpiece of beauty. Bentley's akc name is Renoir's Snowflake Bentley. The Renoir part is a play on our family name and because my husband is and artist. "
Update: Since my original post I added a yorkie to the family. I got her last Oct. She just turned 1 year old on 7-9-04. Her name is Renoir's MiaBella Blue. The name Mia means mine and Bella means beautiful, the Renoir is again a play on my last name and the Blue comes from the color of a yorkie steel blue hair.
I love having one of each breed. They are both wondeful little lap dogs!
Dogster pages or Mia and Bentley

http://www.dogster.com/dog_page.php?i=49083&j=t

http://www.dogster.com/dog_page.php?i=49094&j=t

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
It took forever for us to come up with a name for Tuffy. I think I probably had him for about 2 weeks before we actually settled on a name. At first I wanted a name from literature or an opera, but nothing really fit him and his personality.. he just seemed too cute for such serious sounding names like Oberon or Tristan. So we threw those out and I started thinking of calling him Lucky.. I always use the name Lucky to name my characters in video games. But my mom suggested Tuffy and I just loved it.. It turned out that only my mom and I liked the name Tuffy, but my vote was the only one that mattered, he was my dog afterall, so Tuffy it was and is
Luckily, the name Tuffy has grown on everyone else.. now I just can't see him as any other name.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I got Daezie I wanted a flower name for her, lily or daisy were the options but when I saw her I new her name had to be Daisy, hubby agreed but he change the spelling to Daezie.

For Maya I was on vacation in Mexico and went to visit museums and learn about the Mayan's history before the spanish came to Mexico. so I decided to name her Maya. I think It fits her beautifully.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Our names are Casey and Cynthia, we've already picked out Chase, and Chloe for our first baby boy and girl, we wanted a C name for our first puppy too, so she got Chanel.

After we had Chanel everyone thought it would be cute if our second puppy was named after some kind of fashion icon like Chanel, so we broke the mold and named her Gucci.
At the time I wanted a Bulldog to name Louie too so we would have a well rounded fashion theme, now I'm sure we will just get another Maltese, so names like Prada and Dolce are on the top of our possible lists.

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki's name is actually "Patek Philippe". He is named after a beautiful wrist watch made in Geneve Switzerland. My husband collects watches and has always wanted a Patek Philippe. When I looked and saw how expensive they were I suggested we name our new puppy Patek; I figured that is the closest we will ever get to owning something with that name as these watches are very, very expensive.

We only have a few nick names:

Tiki, Puppy and fuzzy but

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I got Brinkley's name from the movie "You've Got Mail"
I am a huge Meg Ryan fan...and in that movie was a Golden Retriever named Brinkley. I always thought it was a cute boy's name for a dog.
My son and husband wanted Harvey...but I wasn't having it! Brinkley def. fits his personality.

I don't know how we came up with our other pets' names. Annie and Abbey...I just liked the names...Spencer was named when we got him...but I liked it alot, Callie is named that b/c she is a Calico cat, and Little-Bit...well, was a little kitten that showed up on our step with her Momma. We named them Momma Kitty and Little Bit. Momma got run over by a car, so we brought Little-Bit in the house. It is funny now to say her name to people because she probably weighs 12-15 pounds! :lol:

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
me and lovemypupster remember the same thread B)

this is how Sampson and Maggies name came to be!

Sampsons "temporary" name was chubby checkers when I bought him, the breeder said he was the only one to survive out of 3 and he was the biggest, so I wanted a BIG name that represented his strength and size for such a little guy, Sampson seemed perfect, I am a big guy myself and when i tell others about my dog Sampson they assume its a rotty or some other "big" dog, his middle name is Moonstar, i love things to do with the moon and stars

Maggie is named after Mary Magdalene from the Bible and her middle name is Adara, from the greek goddess of Love and Beauty [/B]

·
Registered
42 Posts
Doctor Cathy -

When you have kids you have to vote (most of the time anyway). I called my children "my angels" occasionally until our maltese claimed the name. The kids love her name.

By the way, I was outvoted on my daughter's cockatiel a few years ago also. He ended up being Birdy, I thought this was very lame but my daughter loved my husband's suggestion (she was only 5).

When we got Tanner they tried again to vote against me and I told them that they named the last two pets and this one was mine to name. We were supposed to adopt a retired show dalmatian and his name was Tanner. For two weeks we thought we were adopting him and then the owner's children got so upset that she backed out. Anyway I kind of liked the name.

Our new conure is named Kermit because he already said "Hello Kermit" when we bought him, no voting this time.

Kristy

·
Registered
205 Posts
I haven't picked out a name for my puppy yet. I am still looking but so far I like Avery. Do you guys think that will be good for a boy?

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
twinglemom-- i guess you're right. my mom let us pick the names of all the animals--even hers. she had a cockatiel and then for her bday we got a parakeet. our niece came over, she was only 2yrs old at the time, and we were like 'lets just call her tweety' cuz she's yellow and our niece knew who tweety was. oh well.

·
Registered
994 Posts
My parents named him Maximillion , I never got a chance to even name him.
The night i bought him i went right over to show my parents since they were going to be the ones to watch him during the day the first couple months and when i got there they were so excited my mom said dad and i want you to name him Maximillion so i did.

1 - 20 of 62 Posts