1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My vet sells them for $24 for a 6 pack

At 1800petmeds.com, they sell a 6 pack for $20 and
12 pack is $35.

Shipping is free there for orders over $39 so it seems like a great deal. Just wondering if you guys know a place that will beat that. Thanks!

Just to let you know, you guys should enter every month in their contest for a chance to win $1000 to spend there.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I got an Email from them for this promotion. It says choose your free gift (up to $16 value) with any pet medication purcachase over $49...

Offer expire 6/1. Code is FGE1.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
We used to get our Interceptor thru the Drs Foster & Smith catalog (oh, the feeling of elation that i get from being "allowed" to post the name of a source! LOLOLOLOL) when we lived in Atlanta, because it was wayyyyyy too much at our vet's office. Now, the vet clinic we go to up in Cleveland will either match or beat the FosterSmith price. We paid about $18-20 for a six month supply at FosterSmith, and our new vet here matched the price on our last visit. We never had a problem with expiration dates that I'd heard can be a big worry with some online pharmacies. I think FosterSmith also has a set low-price for prescription meds or free shipping, i forget.

What's your experience been with 1800-PetMeds? I'm curious about them. Do you have to have your vet send the prescription in? Have you encountered any of the "quickly approaching expiration dates" on meds? Inquiring minds, here

Thanks!

Ann Marie and The "Watch the overuse of the chili...or Joe will take it off the board because of YOU, mom...." Buttercup

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've never ordered online before. So I can't help you on that. Sorry :D . Maybe I should call my vet to ask if they'll match too! lol.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
There is a sign posted in my vet's office saying they have seen several dogs with heartworms where the owner bought the heartworm preventative online. They have adjusted their rates to match the online price so that people will not buy online.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Now I'm scared to order online.
I'll call my vet tomorrow.

I checked out drs foster's site. It said I need a prescription for Heartgard.
And I'm sorry, but I need pictures so I can be 100% sure I am buying the right product.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Hi.. It's been awhile since I have had time to come here and post.. I don't know much about buying heartworm preventive thru other than vet.. but there was an FDA warning about bogus Frontline. think Advantage also.. but frontline seemed to nbe the more common one found) It was packaged exactly like the real thing.. but it often wasn't the correct doseage. Much of it was being sold online some ( I believe) via petstore chains.... not sure on that.
So I would be very nervous aobut buying these meds online if you don't know the original source. Our vet buys direct from the company.
Just thought I'd pass this on.. the heartworm meds might be just fine.. but I just don't feel comfortable....

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Mar 23 2005, 07:05 PM
Hi.. It's been awhile since I have had time to come here and post.. I don't know much about buying heartworm preventive thru other than vet.. but there was an FDA warning about bogus Frontline.  think Advantage also.. but frontline seemed to nbe the more common one found) It was packaged exactly like the real thing.. but it often wasn't the correct doseage. Much of it was being sold online some ( I believe) via petstore chains.... not sure on that.
So I would be very nervous aobut buying these meds online if you don't know the original source. Our vet buys direct from the company.
Just thought I'd pass this on.. the heartworm meds might be just fine.. but I just don't feel comfortable....
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45801
[/QUOTE]

Hi, so glad to see you on SM! May I ask how Missy is doing?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Mar 23 2005, 06:55 PM
There is a sign posted in my vet's office saying they have seen several dogs with heartworms where the owner bought the heartworm preventative online. They have adjusted their rates to match the online price so that people will not buy online.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45797
[/QUOTE]
I saw that sign at my vets office too. It also mentioned that there were some dangerous side effects with the ones bought online(I guess it wasn't the real stuff). I'm too scared to buy meds for me or Peanut online.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Hi.. yes I finally had a bit of extra time...I do come over as I can.. usually don't get far before I get interupted. I was asked to be a moderator at a pet diabetic board and I do check the pet cancer board as these two are an important part of Missy's and my life these days..
I am happy to report the squirt is hanging in there very well.. she gives me a few scares here and there ( believe me it doesn't take much!) but all in all things seem to smooth out and she remains her happy demanding little self..
OH! don't know if I posted here or not.. but she doesn't have to use her bike anymore... Horray! on that one!! of course with the lousey weather this winter walks have been pretty limited anyway. Once we get nicer weather and we have extended walks I'll put her on it .. just to help support and not stress her.
Her diabetes has on the whole been very good...
The cancer doesn't seem to be causing her any discomfort or stress at this time. I do find on the urinalysis strips I do daily she has had more bleeding than she has had.. ( it is not uncommon for this to happen with her type cancer) but it previously has just showed up for a bit then stop.. Recently it has been there more than not.. but I know that is the "nature of the "beast"... just freaks me a bit .. but I am learning to "deal" with it.
I truly have to thank God every day.... for her having a cancer with such terrible prognosis.. we are starting 1 year six month mark... almost unheard of!...so we have been so very, very blessed.. and to think she is still acing very normal.. if you didn't know.. you "wouldn't" know. she eats like a little pig!! I love it at each mean to see her so anxious for her "thupper". lol
Thanks so muc for inquiring about her.. I apprecaite that so much..
Terry and Missy

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by IamMomtoMissy@Mar 23 2005, 08:28 PM
Hi.. yes I finally had a bit of extra time...I do come over as I can.. usually don't get far before I get interupted. I was asked to be a moderator at a pet diabetic board and I do check the pet cancer board as these two are an important part of Missy's and my life these days..
Hi Terry, I'm sure you've heard this before but Missy surely is a "walking miracle". I am so glad you've had so much quality time with her even after her diagnosis of cancer. I believe someone reported over here that they had heard she was walking on her own now.... that is just so wonderful!!!

Blessings to you and Missy......

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 23 2005, 04:28 PM
My vet sells them for $24 for a 6 pack

At 1800petmeds.com, they sell a 6 pack for $20 and
12 pack is $35.

Shipping is free there for orders over $39 so it seems like a great deal.  Just wondering if you guys know a place that will beat that.  Thanks!

Just to let you know, you guys should enter every month in their contest for a chance to win $1000 to spend there.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45791
[/QUOTE]

Hey,

Since you are in Nashvile.. I am just curious which vet you use? And the groomer's? For the groomer's in Nashville, I liked Ms. Kitty's, who seem to specialize in grooming little dogs. Prior to that we took Miko to Sir Theodore's, which I actually wasn't too crazy about.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
At the clinic I work at we refuse to deal with PetMeds because they have altered too many prescriptions. We love working with Fosters and Smith and are happy to send prescriptions to them.

I get my Interceptor free from the vet.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
OKW--Do you remember where Hickory Hollow Mall is? I've been going to PetMed on Bell Road. It's the first and only place I've been to. I didn't want to change because there's a couple doctors there that I really love. And I hate change anyway. They may be on the pricey side (@least $35 per visit). As far as grooming, there's 3 that I go to. 2 of them work at PetMed so it's very convenient. Jennifer does it so PERFECT but she tends to cut his hair HER way, but I think it's because I wasn't there to tell her what I want. I had a list so I'm thinking maybe she didn't understand? And also, do you remember this place called 100 oaks? There's a Petsmart in there and I had Sara do Cloud. I had crazy specific things I wanted out of Cloud's haircut and she did all I asked for. I was able to watch her trim Cloud and he was unbelievably good and I saw her give him kisses. I never heard of the 2 that you went to. Do you have any pictures of Miko after the grooming session?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Mar 23 2005, 08:20 PM
OKW--Do you remember where Hickory Hollow Mall is?  I've been going to PetMed on Bell Road.  It's the first and only place I've been to.  I didn't want to change because there's a couple doctors there that I really love.  And I hate change anyway.  They may be on the pricey side (@least $35 per visit).  As far as grooming, there's 3 that I go to.  2 of them work at PetMed so it's very convenient.  Jennifer does it so PERFECT but she tends to cut his hair HER way, but I think it's because I wasn't there to tell her what I want.  I had a list so I'm thinking maybe she didn't understand?  And also, do you remember this place called 100 oaks?  There's a Petsmart in there and I had Sara do Cloud.  I had crazy specific things I wanted out of Cloud's haircut and she did all I asked for.  I was able to watch her trim Cloud and he was unbelievably good and I saw her give him kisses.  I never heard of the 2 that you went to.  Do you have any pictures of Miko after the grooming session?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=45888
[/QUOTE]

I definitely remember both Hickory Hollow Mall and 100 oaks. I went to that petsmart pretty often. All my pictures of Miko prior to last few months are on a cell phone camera. I will have to ask my husband how to upload them. I think the vet I went to was called Berryhill animal hospital. It was pretty close to where I lived (by Vanderbilt) but I wasn't truly happy with them. I think hillsborough animal hospital is much better but may be pricier.

I would definitely recommend Ms. kitty's. I will look up their address. They pretty much only groom little dogs. Tons of maltese. They don't put them in cages. All the little doggies run around in one room. Its really kind of cute. However, the place is a pain because you have to drop them off in the morning by 8 am (or something like that) and they are booked way in advance (weeks, almost a months sometimes). But still worth it, I thought. I would definitely try it or at least stop by and see it.

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
I found Miss Kitty's address on yahoo yellow pages:

4308 Kenilwood Dr
Nashville, TN

and their website:

http://www.realpagessites.com/misskittys/

Also, they are pretty pricey, probably around $40-50/visit. Unfortunately what we tend to do with Miko is wait and wait and wait and then he gets soooo matted up that he either needs a shavedown or a very short cut. We are bad parents!!!

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
OKW-Thanks for the tip. I'll try to check them out. I've been trying to groom them myself. I'm thinking of taking Cloud 1 more time or maybe once ever 5-6 mos. because his hair is so straight that you can see everything! I wouldn't have searched somewhere else to groom Cloud, but Jennifer ant PetMed is booked up like Ms Kitty's and I hate that. I'm las minute about that. When I want their hair cut, I don't want to wait a month or 2! LOL

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I've heard if you stick with the big online shops you should be okay for heartworm and flea meds. It is the other shops you have to worry about.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
When I asked my vet's office if there was any way I could get a break on Pico's Advantage, Heartgard and Denosyl, they sent me to Vetcentric. They even called and gave them my prescriptions and I have it set up to have them ship the Denosyl every 30 days and the others every 6 months so I never run out.

My vet said they would not work with Petmeds but didn't really explain why.

I am saving $10 a month on the Denosyl alone.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts