Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that Brit'ny has all her shots, I take her EVERYWHERE with me! She is so cute and quiet when she is in her carrier, people often think she is a stuffed animal!

I take Brit to Walmart, Target, the Mall, grocery shopping (only when Im grabbing a few things), work, movies (she loves this), and anywhere else!

The only place that turned us around was the US Post Office.

Where do you take your baby, and have you ever been shunned or asked to leave?

·
Registered
942 Posts
Chanel needs one more set of shots...and I need a super cute carrier! So I take her driving with me to pick up my boyfriend from work sometimes, or just go out driving. I figure, atleast she will get used to driving with me...right?

~Elegant

·
Registered
994 Posts
i take Maxi every where today he went with me to the nail place my friend brought her toy poodle named diggy thats maxis best friend. maxi was good with the pedicure he sat nice but he was bad when i was getting my nails done
i take him almost everywhere i use to take him to the grocery store but i can't anymore they said there is a law. otherwise he comes to all my stores
i love spending time with him and he loves to be in the car he loves when the wind blows on him.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Oh I totally agree mee!!!! When I went to Germany (just before I got Brit
) Dogs were allowed EVERYWHERE! I went to H&M (a clothing store) and a big golden was in the dressing room! All resturants, all stores, all theatres, all hotels accept pets! It was heaven! And all the dogs, big or small, where so well behaved.

I wish all Americans would take on this pro-dog attitude!

When I go to Target here in Texas, everyone knows Brit and they always have to hold her every time!

I was thinking of opening a restaurant that accepts pets but is like a big living room, with like couches where you can sit and sip coffee and a fireplaces and stuff. Boardgames all around, and good pastries and easy to eat food and soups. My mother says it sounds great, she and my fiance keep encouraging me to start my own business of some kind, they both say they will back me.

I think I'd call it The Livingroom.... I dunno just a thought :D

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
oooh the reason why i would like a restaurant like that here in the US is that in my country and some other countries in asia have those kinds already..

its a dog cafe, a cafe specially for dogs and owners..u sit at a table and drink and talk and can order dog food (but expensive considering the portion) for doggies..dogs get to roam free anywhere they like and socialize..but the bad thing is the costs for food and human drinks and food is kinda expensive, some dog cafes are too distracting coz lots of dogs jump around and some jump on other ppl's table and drink and eat other dog's food..

some cafes smells bad too..dog smell..but i heard that some places always wipes the floor and has no smell..but the ones that ive been to always had doggy smell coz dogs just pees on the floor even tho they wipe it..

but its just the atmosphere i guess that attracts the customers..a place thats especially for dogs..hehe i wish there was something like that here in america..

i wish my target allows dogs..

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Like Nichole, I too am a little more particular about where I take Brinkley. I have taken him to the petstores like Petco and Petsmart. Our particular Petco is not that clean..it even has an odor as you walk in, so he does not get out of my arms in there, but the petsmart is clean-and that is where we have been going to puppy class. I have also taken him in Home Depot. I take him to our farm store in town and to church picnics, softball, tball, and flag football games and practices...just to get him out and about. Sometimes he just rides in the car with me...especially if I am just running in somewhere. We are in a very rural town-not alot of places to go anyway. Unless we are going to puppy classes, I wouldn't take him to the larger city with us anyway, because if we go, we are either going on a mommy/daddy date, or on a large shopping trip to the mall, target, sams, home depot etc. Now that he loves greenies so much, I load him in the car a couple times a week to go the few miles to the vet to get new greenie bones. He gets SO excited!!!

Anyway, my reason for not taking him is probably more because I usually have my kids with me-and that is enough to deal with out and about places. I usually like to get all my running done and get back home so we can PLAY! It is amazing how much I want to stay home now since we got him.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Around here, most places would probably kick you out for having a dog, any kind of dog, no matter how well behaved or if you have the dog in a bag. People here have a different attitude towards dogs, a lot of people think that dogs are supposed to live outside or on the farm. I think small dogs are just now starting to be seen around here. I've only taken Tuffy to Petsmart and this custard place called Sheridan's that gives out puppy cones to doggies. They have outside seating so it's not a big deal to bring a dog there. Tuffy LOVES going there, he knows he'll be getting a puppy cone and he usually freaks out
I've heard that the Starbucks around here welcomes dogs, but I've never tried to take Tuffy there. I guess I just don't want to get kicked out of anywhere, and Tuffy isn't exactly a quiet little guy in his carrier sometimes.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nichole you are not raining on anyone's parade because im sure that is the reason WHY america is not as dog-friendly as other countries. I don't know why, but America's dogs just aren't as well taken care of or as well trained.

Also there are a lot more agressive breeds and bad breeding in America because breeders don't have to have a license.

I would still love to have a more pet friendly atmosphere, but you are right, not everyone takes care of their dog like YOU do.

At this puppy daycare that Brit is going to go to after she is spayed, your dog has to undergo a personality test before they are accepted.

Maybe you as a dog owner would have to get a license to be able to take your dog in public places and the licensing would include an agression test for the dog, training ect. and tips on curteous behaviour for public areas.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Here in San Antonio there are two restaurants that are pet friendly. One has an outdoor patio where your pet is welcome at all times. The other has a frequent dinner night where you can bring your pet and both of you can get dinner. I've not been to either but they are well attended I understand.

I take Pico into stores in his shoulder bag caddy. It's amazing how many people don't see him even with his adorable white face and neck sticking out of the opening in the front. The problem is that when I go to purchase something I have to set him on the floor or counter and he crawl out of the carrier! He is just so excited to see the clerk and sniff his new surroundings.

The San Antonio Maltese Meet-up still has only one member.....me! Much to my disappointment. The meet up is scheduled at Madhatters, a tearoom/coffeeshop with wonderful food. Pet friendly, obviously.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I have taken my little boy, Kodie, to the dentist! Now that hes over a yr old, its harder to take him some places that I used to take him because now he barks! I used to take him to restaurants in his bag. People didnt even know he was there because he was only alittle over 1lb and didnt make any sounds! It was great... too bad he learned to bark!</span> </span></span>

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Well, I am not sure how many pet friendly places we have here in Missouri, so I haven't tried too many. When we first got him we did take him in to a gas station. We do take him into pet stores often. I take him to all of my husband's softball games that he coaches...home and away games ( so he has been on a school bus
) . The bus driver teases me saying I have to take my fluffy pillow along for the long ride
. We usually take him everywhere we go, assuming we won't be gone a long time and leave him in the car...he loves to ride. (If its too hot we leave him at home).

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I agree with Nicole. On the weekends Lexi and I go driving around a lot. I usually take her to down to Gray's Lake and go for a walk. When a big dog is around I am extra careful. Lexi thinks she is a big dog so she usually is barking and growling at the other dog. We do go to the PetSmart, PetCo, and also to Three Dog Bakery.

I can't believe PetSmart let that guy stay in the store after his dog attacked the first dog. :eek:

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
hey, i totally understand what nichole is saying. when i go out---i dont let anyone touch my dogs. and when they say "can i pet your dog"---depending on my mood, i sometimes say "no, sorry, i dont want to get her excited". i used to say that they bite, but then people would give me this look like "why the heck are you letting your dog out". and when i see a dog--i walk the other way or i make all three sit and stay.

cynthia got kicked out of Woodranch one time. i always hid sprite. her bag looked like a sports bag anyway, we used to go everywhere. check out www.dogfriendly.com and look for places that allow dogs----usually there arent that many dogs there anyway. like in Ventura, theres a little museum that allows dogs.
and i went there once, but there were no other dogs and it was a Saturday at 11am.

good luck with your babies, and remember to give them their vaccinations. cuz like nichole said---other people dont give their dogs their shots.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Originally posted by Brit'sMom@Sep 5 2004, 06:52 PM
Now that Brit'ny has all her shots, I take her EVERYWHERE with me!  She is so cute and quiet when she is in her carrier, people often think she is a stuffed animal!

I take Brit to Walmart, Target, the Mall, grocery shopping (only when Im grabbing a few things), work, movies (she loves this), and anywhere else!

The only place that turned us around was the US Post Office.

Where do you take your baby, and have you ever been shunned or asked to leave?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=8382
[/QUOTE]

Gigolo goes everywhere with me. When he was 14 weeks old, I had to attend my nephew's graduation (outdoors) and couldn't hink of leaving him at home all day..so he went to the graduation and was a major hit!! even wne to the restaurant afterwards..no one knew the diff as he remained quietly in his carrying case. Before 9/11, I was able to sneak Gigolo's predecessor, Geronimo, on all the airlines! People who sat next to me the entire flight (even offering to put "my bag" in the overhead compartment) never knew he was there until I would take him out when we went to retrieve our baggage! They would all marvel and ask was he on the flight the entire time!!?? Interestingly enough the only place that both my dogs weren't allowed into were DSW shoes!
Gigolo's Mom

·
Registered
63 Posts
Rocco comes everywhere with me, except work and to Yankee Stadium, which is where I was on my way when I met Gigolo and his mom last Thursday night! So glad you made your way over to this site. Welcome! By the way, I believe there is an International Maltese Meetup Day scheduled for September 18. In NYC, it is going to be at Union Square Park, I believe. Rocco and I will DEFINITELY be there!

Rocco has also been to the opera and the symphony in Central Park this summer, where he behaved like the angel his grandma calls him, and stayed on his blanket the whole time! He only barked once and that was at a Saint Bernard named Ella, who is now his girlfriend.

·
Registered
422 Posts
My baby goes everywhere with me. A couple of times I had medical procedures (small) and had her groomed that day, but otherwise she's with me. She never makes a sound in her bag, just rests or sleeps. Well, a couple of times she smelled a dog and barked. But, otherwise, nobody knows she's there. And I don't see anything wrong with this.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts