Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi! I was wondering if anyone could share where they got their Maltese or from whom specifically they got their Maltese. Also, any recommendations (good or bad), experiences, advice, etc. --would be great if you could share those.
Thanks!!!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I got Lexi from Kathy White (White's Ashwood Kennel) in Garden Grove, IA. I have since found out she is technically a puppymill, so I would NOT recommend her.

For my 2nd puppy I'm trying to go off the AMA list. Right now I'm waiting on some litters from Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker (Babydoll Maltese), Cheryl Filson(Cher-Chien Maltese), and Bobbie Dodd. All of the litters are due any day now.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
the breeder was Lloyd Buck but the brokers name was Irma. and...eventhough the dogs are cute---it turned out to be a puppymill.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I got kodie from a lady near my house... she breeds her own dogs and sells the pups to people she knows. She isnt listed on any breeder lists because she just does it privately and sells to people she is familar with. She takes good care of her babies but... I do not recommend a puppy from her unless you get tests ran on you pup first. She does not do any blood work/tests on her maltese!
I was also given kodie at 8 weeks old.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think that Lexi is beautiful--good luck with your new baby!

Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@May 25 2005, 09:57 AM
I got Lexi from Kathy White (White's Ashwood Kennel) in Garden Grove, IA.  I have since found out she is technically a puppymill, so I would NOT recommend her.

For my 2nd puppy I'm trying to go off the AMA list.  Right now I'm waiting on some litters from Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker (Babydoll Maltese), Cheryl Filson(Cher-Chien Maltese), and Bobbie Dodd.  All of the litters are due any day now.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65050
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by BugHillHeather+May 25 2005, 09:43 AM-->
I think that Lexi is beautiful--good luck with your new baby!

<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@May 25 2005, 09:57 AM
I got Lexi from Kathy White (White's Ashwood Kennel) in Garden Grove, IA.  I have since found out she is technically a puppymill, so I would NOT recommend her.

For my 2nd puppy I'm trying to go off the AMA list.  Right now I'm waiting on some litters from Cheryl Dawn Shoemaker (Babydoll Maltese), Cheryl Filson(Cher-Chien Maltese), and Bobbie Dodd.  All of the litters are due any day now.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65050
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65070
[/B][/QUOTE]
Where are you from? We might be able to help you find a good breeder in your area.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
My first Maltese turned out to be a Maltese Bichon mix and came from a small local puppy mill before I knew better.

Mikey and Jonathan are from a breeder whom I would not recommend. Very nice people, but I would run from those lines due to the liver problems they produce.

My last pup was from a reputable breeder and I was very, very pleased with them. I would purchase from them again.

My mutt is from the local SPCA. One cat was rescued from a vet hospital and the other is from the local Animal Welfare League.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
My Lady is a rescue. She originally came from a pet shop/puppy mill and has multiple health issues including diabetes and epilepsy. I would obviously not recommend getting a puppy from a pet shop or puppy mill. As it was in Lady's case, she was perfectly healthy for nearly 5 years until all theses genetic "time bombs" started going off.

As far as adopting a rescue, I would recommend it 100%. I haven't had a puppy or kitten in nearly 25 years. My two Siamese cats are also rescues. The love and devotion you get back from an animal who has been discarded or abused as my Siamese Sarah was can't compare with puppy or kitten love in my opinion! It is so rewarding to help these special souls work through their issues and baggage.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@May 25 2005, 09:14 AM
As far as adopting a rescue, I would recommend it 100%. I haven't had a puppy or kitten in nearly 25 years. My two Siamese cats are also rescues.  The love and devotion you get back from an animal who has been discarded or abused as my Siamese Sarah was can't compare with puppy or kitten love in my opinion! It is so rewarding to help these special souls work through their issues and baggage.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65096
[/QUOTE]

im going to do the same thing! i hate puppies now. talk to MEE also....she's taking care of her friends puppy---its such a pain in the butt.

well...i dont know why ladysmom decided to not get a puppy or kitten---but my reason is that puppies are too much trouble. LOL

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I just began to realize how many wonderful adult animals were out there looking for homes and decided that was how I wanted to get my furkids from then on.

Puppies and kittens can be pains, but so can adult dogs and cats you have not had from the start, too, so I don't know if I'd recommend getting a rescue to avoid typical puppy or kitten behavior. Just like with people, bad habits are often harder to break than establishing good habits right from the start. Rescues all come with issues and baggage from their past life. Some can be overcome, some are just part of their unique personality.

I just happen to get more satisfaction from giving a secondhand dog or cat another chance. It is so rewarding to see them blossom right before your eyes. Someday, when I retire, I want to finally foster. I know I can't save or adopt them all, so this would be another way to help the cause.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Soooo many of you are right--puppies are great--but adult dogs are wonderful. That's why I would love to find a retiree or rescue. Its so interesting to hear everyone's different stories. There is one common thread I've noticed--we all love our pets, no matter where they came from. However, I would rather that my new Maltese (whenever I finally get one!) come from a reputable breeder in good health. Cross your fingers--my Maltese is out there somewhere just waiting for me to find it!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I think I mentioned Silkess Maltese in Greensboro to you in another post. Quincy's mom got one of her boys (Quincy, I think) from Cindy and said she would get another Silkess Maltese again in a minute.

http://community-2.webtv.net/SilkessMaltes...TESE/index.html

I checked and she doesn't have any puppies available now, but she says to contact her and she may be able to recommend someone she trusts. It might be worth following up.

I know from time to time she has retired moms available to a good home. It sounds like you might be willing to adopt an adult so it probably would be a good idea to speak to her if you are.

I think I mentioned it before, but I live here in Raleigh. Nothing but BYB's here, though. The News & Observer is full of ads.

How is your little foster doing in his new home? Do you keep in touch? I want to foster when I retire, but I know how hard it will be to give them up.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I got Tunny as a retiree from Tamar's Maltese. Tammy does have two dogs she may be looking to place shortly. I love Tammy to death she is in Dekalb, IL.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I've been emailing with Quincy's mom for quite some time now--when I started seriously looking for Maltese, she recommended cindy at Silkess. I contacted Cindy and she won't have any puppies until fall. Also--Quincy is a very beautiful Maltese--his coat is so silky and shiny--he is one of the reasons that I love Maltese--the sheer beauty!

My foster Maltese Joy has been in his new home a little over a week now and is doing quite well. His new Mom absolutely adores him and he is warming up to her husband. I'm so glad we found the right home for him. It was very hard to let him go, but I knew we couldn't keep him if he wasn't happy and my husband was scared that he was going to lose a toe or two to Joy! So, all's well that ends well.

I am seriously thinking about fostering--probably in the summertime--I'm a teacher and I don't think it would be fair to leave a foster home alone all day, especially if it has special needs. Fostering is a great way to give back! And there's such a great feeling when you know that the foster animal has finally been placed in the right situation!

I keep checking the N&O for ads--but I'm more than a little wary of BYB, especially after having read everything here--doesn't necessarily mean they are all bad, or even of lesser quality--that's why I asked for other people to share their experiences here--I have learned so much from everyone and I greatly appreciate everyone who has been willing to share their story!

Originally posted by LadysMom@May 25 2005, 01:27 PM
I think I mentioned Silkess Maltese in Greensboro to you in another post. Quincy's mom got one of her boys (Quincy, I think) from Cindy and said she would get another Silkess Maltese again in a minute.

http://community-2.webtv.net/SilkessMaltes...TESE/index.html

I checked and she doesn't have any puppies available now, but she says to contact her and she may be able to recommend someone she trusts. It might be worth following up.

I know from time to time she has retired moms available to a good home. It sounds like you might be willing to adopt an adult so it probably would be a good idea to speak to her if you are.

I think I mentioned it before, but I live here in Raleigh. Nothing but BYB's here, though. The News & Observer is full of ads.

How is your little foster doing in his new home? Do you keep in touch? I want to foster when I retire, but I know how hard it will be to give them up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65118
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I got Teddy from The Puppy Boutique in Brooklyn NY and I would absolutely not recommend them because they lied to me...I was told that Teddy was home raised and in reality he is from a puppy mill. Someone on this site recommended a site which would track down where your puppy came from and when I did it they actually told me Teddy came from a place in MN which has 69 breeding females...I was sick to my stomach and still am when I think about it.

I worry about Teddy every single day since I found this out. Will he come down with some genetic disease...is it a ticking time bomb just waiting to attack my baby.

I wish I knew better when I got Teddy...I had done some research and was told to look for a place that did not have a USDA number, without a number I was led to beleive they could not be a puppy mill...this place did not have a USDA number...well what I have learned is that if a place sells directly to the general public and never wholesale then they are not required to have a number. I won't be making the same mistake again.

I am so glad that I have my precious Teddy and I would not trade him for millions of dollars, but I wish I did not contribute to the horror of these disgusting places.

Susan

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by doctorcathy@May 25 2005, 11:22 AM
im going to do the same thing!  i hate puppies now.  talk to MEE also....she's taking care of her friends puppy---its such a pain in the butt. 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65102
[/QUOTE]

i really want to foster/adopt dogs and give them a second chance too,i think thats why im having difficulty going to school right now, im more passionate in dogs than learning design....but i know that i can apply my design skills in some way and help dogs too

yeah, puppies can be such a pain heeehee but its nice when u can see them maturing and understanding and learning..its the process that can be frustrating

oh yeah, i got jongee from a reputable breeder and would reccommend her, shes fabulous

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
It is so sad that so many of us will not recommend the breeders who we have purchased from. This is really sad. Does this mean we all have really high expectations, or we are tricked or breeders just aren't as good as they make it seem?

Vicki Fierheller (Four Halls Maltese) is one of the best breeders I know. I have been to her home and her dogs are so loved. It is clean and she only has a small number. She finishes all her Maltese in Canada and the US before they are bred. She does OFA testing on all her dogs. They get the best carre and I strive to be like her one day.

I also highly recommend Jeanne Haley (Rijes Maltese), Heidi Sullivan (Aria Maltese), Debbie Cleckley (Jacob Maltese), and Denise Rhode (Darylnn Maltese). These breeders I talk to personally but I am sure there are others I don't know personally. There must also be a few more I have forgotten.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Teddyandme@May 25 2005, 09:42 PM
I got Teddy from The Puppy Boutique in Brooklyn NY and I would absolutely not recommend them because they lied to me...I was told that Teddy was home raised and in reality he is from a puppy mill.  Someone on this site recommended a site which would track down where your puppy came from and when I did it they actually told me Teddy came from a place in MN which has 69 breeding females...I was sick to my stomach and still am when I think about it.

I worry about Teddy every single day since I found this out.  Will he come down with some genetic disease...is it a ticking time bomb just waiting to attack my baby. 

I wish I knew better when I got Teddy...I had done some research and was told to look for a place that did not have a USDA number, without a number I was led to beleive they could not be a puppy mill...this place did not have a USDA number...well what I have learned is that if a place sells directly to the general public and never wholesale then they are not required to have a number.  I won't be making the same mistake again.

I am so glad that I have my precious Teddy and I would not trade him for millions of dollars, but I wish I did not contribute to the horror of these disgusting places.

Susan
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65292
[/QUOTE]

For those of you who are interested, you can research your pet shop puppy's origin here for free:

http://www.nopuppymills.com/

1 - 20 of 78 Posts