Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question. I initially planned on house-training Abby so she would go to the potty on wee wee pads. It has been a tough few days as far as that goes (and almost a dream with everything else!). She just doesn't seem to understand. I try to catch her, but then, when I put her down on the pad, half the time she just lays down like I'm putting her to bed! I caught her once or twice and she made it, and I left that pad there so she could smell what she had done there - but she still just lays there! PS - I lavished her with praise for going potty in the right place.

Anyways, she just seems to be more comfortable going potty outside. And so for the last 24 hours I have been 'testing' her by taking her outside after meals and sleeps. And voila! Only one mistake since (and that was my fault for not taking her out). My only problem is, I work. And I'm concerned because I can only come home at lunch time. I can't expect my little girl to hold on until then - and I don't want her to think that I am accepting her going potty in the house... so I've hit a hard spot. Do I persevere with wee wee pads - maybe by getting some of that scent that encourages them to go potty on the wee wee pad - or do I just hope she can hold it until I get home????

She is coming to work with me this week (I go back tomorrow), but I am going to put her in another room - so she doesn't get too used to having me there all day. So, this week I can still take her out regularly - but what after that? If I can figure out what to do, I will try to "lay down the brickwork" this week......
any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
well, ellie prefered going outside. so my sister used to take her outside every now and then. but she also learned how to use the pads. she would actually wait till the last moment to go...because she was hoping someone would take her out. trust me--you'll save money if you take her outside to go potty.
and i think that they learn faster like that. :D you're lucky

·
Registered
939 Posts
Tiki wouldn't have anything to do with the pads. He goes outside and can actually hold it quite long if we are out or if it is raining real hard. At those times I wish he were trained on both, maybe others who are using the pads will have some better ideas.

Judi

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Brinkley preferred the wee pads, and with our schedule, it was a must for us.
He is doing really well.
The only thing is that it really doesn't teach them to hold it.
So, I get nervous going to other places, because I don't know what he would do if we are inside somewhere and he has to go. At puppy class, he just went on the floor, so it makes me nervous other places too.

Good luck. you are lucky to be able to come home at lunch to take her out again.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi doesn't mind the rain. I haven't taken her out is monsoon type rain but she so far she doesn't seem to mind it. I have a golf size umbrella that I use when I take her out. I try to get her to stay under it but she never does.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
We just got the cutest doggie umbrella. The umbrella is right over the dog and there is a rigid handle so that you can keep the umbrella right over top of them. My daughter got this for the maltese puppy that she is waiting for but I'm using it with our bichon and just love it. The umbrella is clear so you can see the dog. Go to one of the two major pet chains and type in dog umbrella and you'll see it. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do a link.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
msmagnolia: Thanks for telling me about the umbrella. Just to let you know it is ok to say the store names on this website. We not as restricted here as we would be on MO.

Sorry I totally skipped over the part about the link. Yes you can do a link. You can mention name brands, store names, pretty much anything you were not supposed to do on MO you can do here. :D

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by msmagnolia@Sep 13 2004, 02:24 PM
We just got the cutest doggie umbrella.  The umbrella is right over the dog and there is a rigid handle so that you can keep the umbrella right over top of them.  My daughter got this for the maltese puppy that she is waiting for but I'm using it with our bichon and just love it.  The umbrella is clear so you can see the dog.  Go to one of the two major pet chains and type in dog umbrella and you'll see it.  I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do a link.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9056
[/QUOTE]

Oh the freedom here!!!
Of course you can do the link!!!!

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I wanted to train sunny to use the bathroom outside but he just dosnt like it i would take him out he would come in and pee take him out he would come in and pee, so i figured i would give the pads a shot becuase we had to stay in a hotel last week becuase we were in a hurrican evacuation zone and he just figured out the pads right away i was like woah lol i still want to evantuallty have him going outside but i am hoping and maybe this will work for you that i am just gonna go with the one he prefers (still have the option for him out going outside) and once he gets the hang of the pads i will try outisde again

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by Lilly521@Sep 13 2004, 04:01 PM
I wanted to train sunny to use the bathroom outside but he just dosnt like it i would take him out he would come in and pee take him out he would come in and pee, so i figured i would give the pads a shot becuase we had to stay in a hotel last week becuase we were in a hurrican evacuation zone and he just figured out the pads right away i was like woah lol i still want to evantuallty have him going outside but i am hoping and maybe this will work for you that i am just gonna go with the one he prefers (still have the option for him out going outside) and once he gets the hang of the pads i will try outisde again
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=9068
[/QUOTE]

Brinkley was the same way. Even though the breeder said he was doing both with her (pads/outside)-when we got him here, he preferred the pads, and that worked great for us too.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Oh good! Check this out then. Sooooo cute. The leash is in the middle of the umbrella and can be adjusted so that the dog stays under the umbrella. You also get a people umbrella for you that matches the plaid around the edges of the doggies. We ordered it and it came in a few days.

http://www.petco.com/product_info.asp?sku=...94&dept_id=%2D2

I don't know how to make the link work. Cut and paste the address.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
The link works. Just to let you know you can click on the http:// button when you are posting, paste the address in the first window, in the second widow type in the text you want people to click on to go to the link. The link will not work until you click Add Reply or Preview Post.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
This reminded me i was wondering i know you arnt supposed to yell at your dog when you find out he peed but if you actully see him doing it is it alright to yell while he is doing it becuase right now i am just running over and moving him to where he should be doing that

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Yes it is ok to say NO loudly (get their attention) and then take them outside or to their pad. It doesn't work after the fact though because they will not associate the NO with the accident. Too much time has passed.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts