Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was thinking it would be nice to share with other members where you were on the day the world stopped turning ika september 11th ...

i was home alone babysitting my young grandaughter Lauren. she had just fallen a sleep ,i turned the tv on, to hear the news of terrorist atacks on the usa ..
i was shocked and in tears , i woke my grandaughter up and hugged her
so glad she was tiny and could sleep through ..:wub:

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I was at work the day of September 11, one of the managers came into the personnel office and told us what was happening. We watched it on tv, i was in shock and in tears.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I was at work and someone stopped by my office and said a small plane had hit the World Trade Center, as that was how it was first reported. Then soon after that, we heard what really happened. Being at work I was somewhat insulated from the early reports, TV, etc.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I was living near Pittsburgh at the time. I was at work and everyone was freaking out. Flight 93 crashed in Pennsylvania, so it was pretty freaky. I remember doing hardly any work all day. Everyone kept saying the internet was down because so many people were trying to get online to watch coverage. Some of the schools nearby went into some kind of a lockdown, and all the people at work who had kids at school had to leave and go pick them up.

·
Premium Member
15,201 Posts
I remember doing hardly any work all day.
Tell me about it. I remember that I joined my parents to the living room, watching the news...and did no more studying that night. Good thing that I wasn't even in high school yet at that time, so test subject was not too hard for me.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
i was thinking it would be nice to share with other members where you were on the day the world stopped turning ika september 11th ...

i was home alone babysitting my young grandaughter Lauren. she had just fallen a sleep ,i turned the tv on, to hear the news of terrorist atacks on the usa ..
i was shocked and in tears , i woke my grandaughter up and hugged her
so glad she was tiny and could sleep through ..:wub:
Thank you Jo and bless you and thank you for being our friend :heart:

Yes, I clearly remember where I was and will forever hold close to me, all those who were lost, their familes, what the NYers directly had to endure, as well as those in the Pentagon, which includes are fine young men and women, who signed up out of love for country, to defend with such great pride.

At first, it was thought of as an accident, but then the realization came that it was not, immediate action, organizantion and determination was instantly installed with our focus on what was taking place in NY and at the Pentagon.

Thank you again Jo for your friendship and the tears that you shed. Bless you.

·
Premium Member
20,059 Posts
I was working from home at that time and kept running down stairs to watch it on TV. Why I kept going back upstairs to do work I'll never know :blink:.

The next day my co-workers (who were in A.C. for a big meeting) were supposed to come to my house for the day, I had bought tons of food - everyone was afraid to come.....heck, they were afraid to travel at all and they had come in from all over the east coast....:w00t:

What a very sad time. My neighbor's daughter and son-in-law were visiting her that day - her son-in-law was on vacation that day - he is a NYC fireman. A lot of his co-workers died that day.

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
It was a non-work day for me and had just left the kitchen. Hubby was having second cup of coffee and doing his daily ritual of watching AM news on the little kitchen TV. I had finished cleaning up the bathroom and as I headed down hall, hubby yelled to me to come quick!! The first plane had hit. It seemed it 'HAD' to be an accident but at same time one wondered how such a thing could have happened... then the second and the chills went thru both of us.. we knew this was no accident!
We were glued to TV... then the 3rd... I was getting more and more freaked.
I realized our neighbors had been working their gardens since early AM and likely didn't know.. I crossed our lawns to tell them and they too were in dis-belief and headed inside to catch up.
Then the next attack and I thought when is this going to stop!!!???

I knew when the second plane at the tower hit... our lives here would never, ever be the same.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
we were at a RV park on the Oregon coast, we didn't find out about it until later in the afternoon, my daughter called crying, I was in shock, I remember we went to the game room at the park and watched everything on a 55 inch TV. Many Rvers were there and all you could hear was weeping.
the next day we drove to a RV park in Calif. and spent a week watching everything. It's still so hard to believe something like that happened in our country. Our lives were changed that day

·
Registered
7,034 Posts
I was at work. Two co-workers were in from New Jersey and Washington. We had the radio on, and heard the news almost immediately. My son lives and works in New York. Thankfully, he called me early on so I knew he was alright. His car was covered in ash for weeks. My co-workers were both in a panic since their families were close to New York and Washington. They both rented cars and drove back north. That was a day that changed all of our lives. Since I lived in New Jersey for 30 years, I knew many people that worked in and around ground zero. Let us never forget those innocents that died. Why can't we all be different, and still live in peace.

·
Premium Member
3,573 Posts
I was having coffee with several colleagues when we received a call to turn on the television. As we were watching, I remember saying out loud, "Is that another plane?" We watched in horror as the second plane hit.

I work at a large university; classes were canceled and we were all told to go home. I remember the errie quietness of the day - no planes in the air and very little traffic. I slept that night with the television on in case there was other news.

My children and I put our flag out and lit a candle in a jar on the sidewalk.

As painful as it is, we must always remember that day.

·
Premium Member
2,957 Posts
I was in my classroom with 25 3rd graders. The principal sent another teacher into the classroom and called me to the office for a few minutes to fill me in. I was worried that every plane that went by was another hijacked plane and I was trying to figure out how to keep my class safe. My classroom was near the school entrance, so the kids could see a steady stream of parents coming to pick up their kids and they were all aware that something had happened, but I was not allowed to tell them what was going on. Somehow we made it through the rest of the school day.

We lost many friends and relatives of students and teachers that day.
A sad, sad day.

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
That was the most surreal day I've ever had. My husband was home ( he works out of town) and we were running some errands. We stopped at McDonalds for coffee and Ben was on a business call. My son's girlfriend called and told me what was going on only minutes after it happened. We turned on the radio and listened to it. I can remember thinking it couldn't be real. I tried to call my brother that lived there at the time and couldn't get through. My mom was in a panic too. I must have hit redial 1000 times that day. We went to Sam's and they had all the TV's on so there was a lot of us that just stood there and watched as it unfolded. It was so upsetting that we went straight back home and spent the day watching and struggling to understand what happened. My brother got in touch later that day and he said they had closed down the bridges and he was stuck on Roosevelt Island. TG he hadn't gone to work yet. They went to a little diner there and watched it on TV like the rest of us were doing. He said the place was full but you could hear a pin drop. Just thinking back on all this makes me so sad. I feel bad for the people who lost family and friends.
Its still hard to believe how much our world changed that day.

·
Super Moderator
10,242 Posts
I work in the Chicago suburbs and had been at work about 15 minutes when my boss came running in the door (she had just gotten there) saying "someone turn on a radio - a plane just hit the World Trade Center." We had just found a live broadcast when we heard the newsman as he was watching the second plane hit.

The company I worked for at that time had an office in Manhattan and we also had clients in One Financial Center. We also had employees traveling all over the US that day to other clients. After we made sure all of our employees were safe, we went home - no one really felt like working. It wasn't until Thursday that we found out our client was safe as well, although they lost their office in the Financial Center.

That Friday, I was going out of town with some girlfriends and before we left I went to a prayer service at a church near my house - it was right next door to a fire station. I remember sitting in the pew with a fire fighter who was by himself and wondering what he must be feeling.

·
Premium Member
1,111 Posts
I was at work and we listened to everything on the radio. I remember feeling like nothing would ever be the same again once it was realized that we were being attacked. It was also the day I was supposed to drop off a quilt for the first quilt show I ever entered. It was good to be with so many good friends. I hugged everyone I saw just to be glad to be able to do that.

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
saw the towers on my way to work that day (was on the train going over the Manhattan bridge into Brooklyn). When I got off my stop in Bayridge (right across from downtime Manhattan) I looked up in the sky and noticed a huge black cloud though it was bright and sunny out - thought, oh boy gues it's going to rain for a little bit. I was running a little late and when I got to my desk my boss at the time had on the radio and I was listening to it, but was like is that a movie they are describing? I just kept on listening and he nor my other collegue said anything. Then one of the building managers comes storming into the office saying "You're not going to believe what is on TV!" Then I found out what was happening and that it was all real. I tried calling home to let my mom know I was okay until finally I got through and we both had shaky voices when we talked. I sometimes would take the train that goes went under the towers, but didn't that day.

·
Premium Member
11,148 Posts
I was at home,it was a non-work day for me & I had lots of things I wanted to get done. I'd just poured my first cup of coffee & turned on the TV & there it was. I watched in stunned silence from my sofa & that's where I remained that awful tragic day, scared, sad & horrified.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
I was working at home that day. As so many others, I was glued to the tv, watching on in disbelief. I was in shock and numb all day. I remember working and making the physical movements, but, everything felt like an out of body experience. My parent's friends live in Manhattan, and they lost their son that day. I lit candles and placed one in every window that evening. I have continued that tradition every year to honor all of the individuals that were taken from us and to honor and remember their families, as well.

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I was in France at the time. I picked up my daughter and son in law from the airport. They left the US the day before. We were all in France to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday. One of my cousins called all freaked out asking me if my mom had CNN. That planes were flying into sky scrappers in New York. Since my mom did not have CNN we just put on regular TV Chanel. It was all over the TV chanels in France. My husband was in Houston. But he normally put on the TV only at Noon. One of his clients from France called him and asked him what was going on. If it would have happened one day earlier, my daughter and her husband would not have been able to join us since all air traffic was stopped.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts