Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really upset about this...
I have always been with verizon wireless for my cell phone... i have their color LG phone.. the one with out the camera in it. Its almost 2yrs old.. which means my contract is going to be up this month! I cant take it anymore... my phone's battery is ALWAYS dying!!!!! I know I can just buy a new battery and that problem should be fixed... but I dont have a long talking time on my phone either... so my battery dies fast even when its funtioning normally. I took a look at their new phone that they are offering... and I am NOT impressed by what i see.. the "talk time" for most of their phones is 2-4hrs... the idle time isnt too great either one some of these phones. I'm not a big cell phone talker or anything but i'm sick and tried of my phones battery not lasting. Sometimes as we all know you forget to charge your phone one day and then the next day by 4pm your phone is dying! I also heard that you shouldnt keep your phone on the charger if its done charging... it kills the battery... so if i'm not about to moderate the phone when its charging ...i can not charge it... sometimes i'm really busy so we could be looking at 2 days of not charging this phone... which will not fly well if I buy a phone that has low "talk time" and not very good idle time. I am really happy with verizon's service... i always have GREAT reception no matter where i go! My bf used to have cingular and I talked him into switching to verizon.. which is wonderful... but again the new phones they are offering are not impressive. We have looked at Cingulars phones and they have a new phone that is wonderful. 7HRS of "talk time" and the longest idle time I have seen yet! It's called the Razer. It is a very expensive phone but i think it will last a long time because it has great features and is more advanced than any other phone i have seen... (verizon's phones are not even close to 7hrs of "talk time".. so they will have a long time yet before they will out date this phone)

I was just wondering if anyone has verizon or cingular and what their reception is like..... do you have any phone issues?
I am really tempted to switch to cingular just because i'm sick of dealing with a phone that sux, even if your able to get a new phone after your 2yr plan has expired. Any thoughts would be great!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
I have been through so many different cell phones.. I've never had verizon though. My boyfriend has Cingular right now (he was a life-time AT&Ter). He doesn't like Cingular as much as At&t for billing reasons. They tend to have errors. Reception wise their towers doubled when the joined with AT&T so he gets service EVERYWHERE. I have Nextel, and I am pretty much over it. Of course, they now are joining with Sprint so we will see what happens.

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
It seems to me that the phones are getting less and less reliable. For this reason I would choose a phone company based on reception and customer service rather than the phone itself. I think they make phones to last about 1.5 years so that you have to keep extending your contract, or at least have to purchase the insurance!

I've had Verizon for years. I use it because I travel alot and I can go just about anywhere in the US and still have service. I've even used my Verizon phone on a cruise to Mexico and Jamaica. When we were going to Europe last summer I found that Verizon didn't sell a phone that I could be used over there. They wanted me to rent a phone for 6 weeks, but for the same amt of money I could buy a Blackberry from T-Mobile and use it for talking and emailing. So I also have the TMobile and it is pretty good too. I don't use it as my primary phone, but it sure worked great through out Europe!

My friend just switched to Sprint and she's already having trouble. Hopefully they'll get it all straight. I just read an article in Consumer Reports or the Wall St. Journal (forget which) that said that Verizon had the highest ratings in Customer Service thoughout the US of any of the major phone services.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I have Motorola from verizon. I haven't had too much trouble with it. My brother had the same phone and had a lot of trouble. Verizon finally replaced it with a different phone. I love the coverage area.

My mom has sprint and has a hard time getting a signal sometimes.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
We've had Verizon for many years.Ive never had any kind of problem with them,batteries or reception.Ive traved to Fla.,Tn,all over Ia & ILL I have friends that have been with other outfits and they always seem to have one problem or another,so Verizon gets my vote!OH I also have a friend who travels for a living and he has never had a problem with them ither.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I have Cingular now (used to be AT&T) but I have just a basic phone.. I don't need a camera phone..

anyway I get awesome battery life outta my nokia's. I have WASHED nokia phones in the washer and still had them work (hubby wasn't impressed though)

I get awesome signal where ever I go and the customer service has always been very very good.

I'm on a national plan, and have a huge amount of minutes.

My hubby had alltell and it was heck on earth. Sprint is apparently putting up a bunch of towers around here.. Verizon is like non existant here.

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
The more functionality your cell phone has the lower the battery life. New battery technology will improve that but that is kind of a rule of thumb.

Color screens, text messaging, camera functions, all drain power. I have a cell phone with color screen and do not text message. Strictly conversational usage only and I get excellent battery life. The screen goes dark after a minute or so and that saves battery life. I have to touch a button to light it up again, but it is worth it to have the reliability of not running out of battery when I need to use the cell phone.

I use Sprint PCS and have no complaints. Billing and area coverage are good where I need them to be.....Texas. I found that in Boca Raton where my daughter lives I don't get a good signal for some reason but that's not a big deal for me there.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
wait a sec... i'm confused... is AT&T Cingular? are they separate companies? They have same phones I see on their web site... ummm...

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I have Verizon service and a Qualcom phone. I like Verizon service and it is great when we travel!!!
The only downfall is that I think the service is a little more expensive than some and they don't do roll-over minutes, which really stinks!!!

But, it is our only option around here because we are so rural, verizon is the only tower we can really pick up. Others that have different services can't get reliable signals in our area.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Kodie, when I was reading your post I was thinking you should switch to Cingular and get their new Razor phone and then you mentioned them!
John and I have Verizon and I have been happy with them for over 2 years now (we just got a new plan this year). I was not happy how they upgraded us though. We had 400 mins a month and 1000 a month Verizon to Verizon on our old plan and when we upgraded we were supposed to get 400 a month plus unlimited Verizion to Verizon. We switched in the middle of the month because that's when our plan ran out and the woman on the phone that helped us through everything said that we had 400 mins left. So we used 400 mins that last half month. When we got our bill we were outraged! It was twice the amount we usually pay! Of course I called to complain. They told us that since we switched in the middle of the month that we only had 400 mins. for a month and a half! Well why didn't they say that when we were on the phone! We ended up using 800 mins. between two months and we got slammed for it. The thing that really made us mad was that Cingular had merged with AT&T two days after we redid our contract with Verizon! We had Cingular before and we hated them because we never got reception ANYWHERE! But since they merged with AT&T we figured their reception had to rock now.
I love Verizon only because when I visit my family in NC my phone still works there and it's not roaming charges!
But since Cingular merged and got that kick butt new Razor phone I wish we had switched back to them! We probably will after our new contract is up with Verizon, if they have good coverage of the US like Verizon does.
So my suggestion is to weigh the pros and cons of both companies and then decide. Don't make your decision just on the phone because their reception might not work in our area, you might not be able to travel without roaming, and so on and so on. Then again if you don't travel you wouldn't have to worry about that. So just check what they offer and see if it works with your lifestyle.

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Mar 1 2005, 11:22 AM
wait a sec... i'm confused... is AT&T Cingular?  are they separate companies?  They have same phones I see on their web site... ummm...
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=38892
[/QUOTE]

Cingular and AT&T merged.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Oh I was going to mention that we just got a car charger for our phone from Verizon and it charges really fast. I would get one if I were you so you can charge your phone on the go since you are always so busy. You can charge on your way to work or wherever. We decided to pay a little more for it and get it through Verizon because we got a cheap one once when we had Cingular and we didn't want to buy it through Cingular, and it ruined our battery on our phone.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
AT&T merged with Cingular... but the web site says that its not complete... when is it going to be complete??

Fannymay... I dunno how the service is going to be with the new cingular/at&t... thats my BIG question... if its just as good as verizons coverage.. i'm gonna switch because i hate that verizon phones... come one now you cant beat it 7HRS of "talk time", which includes playing with your phone and all its features!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
We also use Cingular, we haven't been with them very long though. We were through Cellular One, they were terrible on billing. In the beginning they had our plan messed up, we didn't catch it until later. They kept saying we were going over our min. we couldnt figure it out then we realized they were charging us to use our "free mobile to mobile" in our family plan. They only reimbursed us for 90 days of the mistake, even though it had been I think 9 months at time. Then they were a pain trying to get out of. Our contract was up in Nov, they needed 30 day letter notice, we did that but somehow got stuck paying until Jan. 14th! Because apparently the woman who deals with that was on vatcation a couple weeks in Dec. (even though we sent in our 30 day notice saying when we wanted to end our service with them) grrr.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Kodie, ask around. Ask your friends and co workers if they have Cingular and then ask them about their reception. I bet they will all say they get good reception since they now have AT&T towers and Cingular towers. But this way you will know how the reception is in your particular area.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I don't think a lot of phones have 7 hours talk time anymore.
Here are some suggestions.

You could purchase two batteries that what we had to do for work. And leave one charging.. Then which it when you need to.

If you like there service I would not change because you don't like the phones they offer.

Suggestion:
We are with Rogers AT&T , not that I'm happy with them just because the deal I have is a very old one that they don't offer anymore. I had a very old, old phone. What we did was buy a new phone with all the new features, camera, and blue tooth technology.
Yes I paid 450.00 but it was worth it. Mine is a sonny ericsson z600. There is a better erricson out there too. I would rather pay 29.00 a month then pay 50 buck a month for cell phone that does nothing. I did the math. If I took one of Rogers phone that offered noting..It would not be like having my old phone and paying more money for it. I needed state the art.

So if you are willing to pay for the phone... don't buy it from the cell phone provider.
Just make sure that the phone you purchase outside can go on the cingular network.
You would need to get a (world wide phone).. and make sure you get the SIM card as well... these can be used on any network, AT&T, fido, telus... sorry I live in Canada so we don't have much providers here.

My phone was really good for me I can compose music with it or save recording of my singing. I write songs so it very helpfull if I have idea's and no paper.
Ther are a lot of good website that compair the phones and forums so you can do your research and fine the one you like.

Oh I forgot to meantion I have left my cell phone on for the week while I was working from home half battery it rang, received messages but I did not use the camera or any of the other features the battery was still going when I checked it on saturday.
In additon, I can use my phone in the bastment , my husban can not use his nokia in the bastment , no reception , same provider.

Sorry for the long message

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I have Nextel, and I am very please with this service. I have had Verizon, and while it was good, I always had to call them to have roaming charges removed. It was more a bother than anything else. On Nextel, I have the Nation Wide Direct Connect walkie talkie. My husband and I walkie-talkie more than we direct dial. But if you don't use this service, it can be expensive. I don't know if they offer this plan any longer, but I have 1000 outgoing minutes, free Direct Connect, free nights/weekends, and all incoming calls free. I think we pay around $100 per month for this service, and we got the phones for free. I have a Motorola i730, which is a bit fancy for my tastes, but it works well and it has a longer battery life. BTW, if your battery is the problem, go to Radio Shack and they can put in a new battery, and they may possibly have a longer life battery for your phone.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I have a motorola from verizon and it's great. I usually go 2 days without charging, and I'm constantly on the phone. I also have a car charger because I drive so far all the time, I don't want a dead cell phone battery in an emergency.

My mom has verizon's LG phone that is about 2 years old and she thinks it sucks!!! Her battery runs out all the time, and we have found that when it's in the charging base-it never completely charges no matter how long you leave it in there. Maybe it's the LG phones? I don't know much about them, but your's sounds like it has the same probs as my mom's.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
i have verizon...i like it..but we had a motorolla phone where the battery wouldnt last long toward the end to. i just dont think they are made to last n e more like someone said. i think there are probs with every service. my friend has cingular and everytime she calls there is a reception prob. i dont get that with my verizon..heh it just will drop u lol. but that only happens in one spot that i know of.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts