Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we got maya's allergy results back. Boy o boy is she allergic to almost everything. Poor little thing. She is allergic to corn, wheat, brewer's yeast, white potato, kelp, pork, and carrots as well as grasses trees fungi and weeds. So after narrowing it down I decided on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. My question is is if Maya is allergic to white potatoes is the sweet potato ok? The ingredients are ok except is has potato protein and I just want to know that it is ok and it wont affect her. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
That's what I feed and have had great success with it. I don't know if potatoe protein would be white or sweet since they are listing sweet as a main ingredient. Why don't you email them?

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
i talked to the rep about this on the phone as my dex vomits on white potato diets and she told me it is not the same as a potato as it is a protein - it was a certain way it is processed they said. It was confusing but she swore to me it was not white potato as white potato is inflammatory and my boy has ibd so he cannot tolerate any white potato diets

I do not put much weight in allergy test for food as blood cannot determine food allergy only environmental so always best to do an elimination diet for food allergy.

Venison and sweet potato is a great choice to try for 12 weeks.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok great cuz i really do like natural balance and I can feed my other girl this food as well. We have not done blood tests on her but I noticed she chews her feet when on a grain diet. I like this food since it is also grain free.
Maya's allergys are so bad she practically ripped out her hair on all four of her feet and her tail. Poor thing

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
ok great cuz i really do like natural balance and I can feed my other girl this food as well. We have not done blood tests on her but I noticed she chews her feet when on a grain diet. I like this food since it is also grain free.
Maya's allergys are so bad she practically ripped out her hair on all four of her feet and her tail. Poor thing
allergies are very difficult and frustrating been dealing with it for 6 years with my york :( read my link on atopica it has alot of info

I thought you stated you had full spectrum lab test done? They use blood to do that test so i am confused?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ya i did use spectrum labs. They did take her blood. They came back with a list of things she reacted to. I only did this test on maya my little one but i have another malt snowball who we havent done the test yet. Maya we did it because of her kidney issues. Hopefully thats not confusing.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Ya i did use spectrum labs. They did take her blood. They came back with a list of things she reacted to. I only did this test on maya my little one but i have another malt snowball who we havent done the test yet. Maya we did it because of her kidney issues. Hopefully thats not confusing.
got it :) but how would that test help with her kidneys?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well it didnt but when we brought her in to the vet we were feeding acana grasslands. Her kidney levels were up and the vet said that the higher protein could be the cause of that. But we wanted to see if it was also anything in the food and air that could be causing her the chewing and biting. I mean when we brought her in to the vet her front feet were almost shaved looking from her pulling her hair out. So we figured acana is grain free there has got to be something else that is doing it to her. That is why we decided to do the allergy test.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
well it didnt but when we brought her in to the vet we were feeding acana grasslands. Her kidney levels were up and the vet said that the higher protein could be the cause of that. But we wanted to see if it was also anything in the food and air that could be causing her the chewing and biting. I mean when we brought her in to the vet her front feet were almost shaved looking from her pulling her hair out. So we figured acana is grain free there has got to be something else that is doing it to her. That is why we decided to do the allergy test.
ok that makes sense - yeah high protein or sodium can definitely affect kidney values. There is alot of controversy over the protein with kidney and liver issues but I prefer lower protein or a highly digestible protein like fish with kidney and liver issues.

With toy breeds and after going through a horrible pancreatitis issue with my york I stick to low protein and low fat now.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ya trust me this past 2 weeks have been the most stressful time i have ever dealt with. Maya is only 8 months old. You never think ur little puppy will end up in the animal ER with elevated kidney levels. Now that we have everything situated we are starting with this food and see how it goes. I really hope she starts to feel better.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
ya trust me this past 2 weeks have been the most stressful time i have ever dealt with. Maya is only 8 months old. You never think ur little puppy will end up in the animal ER with elevated kidney levels. Now that we have everything situated we are starting with this food and see how it goes. I really hope she starts to feel better.
so sorry :( yeah been there - my dex almost died at 2 from pancreatitis and that is where my journey of animal health began 4 1/2 years ago. It was scary he had to have a plasma transfusion and tubes coming out of jugular for fluids. I was a total mess and swore I would learn everything I could to avoid my dog ever going through that again if I could :( It cost 10k over the course of a year to get him healthy again as he has ibd/pancreatitis - He is worth every penny as he is a great little guy and will be 7 in January :)

Once you know better you do better so I am sure your baby will be just fine :)

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
So we got maya's allergy results back. Boy o boy is she allergic to almost everything. Poor little thing. She is allergic to corn, wheat, brewer's yeast, white potato, kelp, pork, and carrots as well as grasses trees fungi and weeds. So after narrowing it down I decided on Natural Balance Sweet Potato and Venison. My question is is if Maya is allergic to white potatoes is the sweet potato ok? The ingredients are ok except is has potato protein and I just want to know that it is ok and it wont affect her. Please any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
I would suggest Evanger's white fish and sweet potato instead... I don't have much faith in the quality control of Natural Balance - not only were they involved in the pet food recall that killed many dogs in 2007, but they recently had another. Everytime someone posts about their dog not wanting to eat their NB I literally get shivers :(

How did you get the allergy test? Curious...sounds very interesting and must be great to know what foods are good to feed with no bad effects

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Dwerten, wow ya idk how i would have handled something like that I would have been a werck. So glad ur baby is fine, and hopefully mine is on her way to recovery.
Maltlovereileen, i will look into that food, havent heard of it. The allergy test I did from my vet. They drew her blood and sent it spectrum labs would tested envronmental as well as food to see what her blood reacted to. It was about $400 but well worth the money. Any questions i would be glad to answer

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i just looked up that food and wont be able to feed that one because its 30% protein too high for her two it contains carrots and she is allergic to that. Thanks for the suggestion tho.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
it is so hard with the foods as now proctor and gamble is even taking over good ones. I heard california natural venison and sweet potato a newer one is good but then that is being take over by p &g too i think :(

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts