Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, my question is about whitening shampoo i have read alot of people do it like maybe once a month, is it really necessary to keep the coat white? or if you dont use it will it not be a snowball white? AND i have also read that after you use one of these shampoos you need to do some rehydrating or something like that to the hair?
Rosie

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I use a whitening shampoo every other week...but after I use it...I also re-shampoo with a conditioning shampoo and then a really good conditioner. I usually condition him with the conditioner that comes in my own box of haircolor. Those are very intense conditioners and they seem to make him very soft.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I also use a whitening shampoo every other week. It's a non bleaching kind, it just has color 'enhancers'. It's tinted purple to make the coat look whiter. I follow it with a oatmeal conditioner, but I do that regardless of what shampoo I use. I think it's the shampoos that bleach that need the heavy duty conditioning afterwards. Hope this helps

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut@Feb 3 2005, 08:56 AM
I also use a whitening shampoo every other week.  It's a non bleaching kind, it just has color 'enhancers'.  It's tinted purple to make the coat look whiter.  I follow it with a oatmeal conditioner, but I do that regardless of what shampoo I use.  I think it's the shampoos that bleach that need the heavy duty conditioning afterwards.  Hope this helps

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33102
[/QUOTE]

Mine is purple too...I didn't know they had any that actually "bleached"-where do you get those? What brand?

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
You don't have to use a whitener if you don't want to. I rarely use my whitener anymore because it's winter time and I don't want to dry them out anymore than they are. They still look white. It makes a difference when you do use it though.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
There are a number of different shades of white. Mikey is a slightly more creamy white (not cream, but not ice white). Jonathan is ice white. So, I don't expect Mikey to ever be ice white, but rather a slightly "tonier" white. I don't know if that makes much sense.

You do not have to use a whitening shampoo. If you want to, I would only use it every 3-4 baths (assuming you bathe once a week). It is drying and seems to make the coat porous.

V

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by JMM@Feb 3 2005, 10:52 AM
There are a number of different shades of white. Mikey is a slightly more creamy white (not cream, but not ice white). Jonathan is ice white. So, I don't expect Mikey to ever be ice white, but rather a slightly "tonier" white. I don't know if that makes much sense.

You do not have to use a whitening shampoo. If you want to, I would only use it every 3-4 baths (assuming you bathe once a week). It is drying and seems to make the coat porous.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33138
[/QUOTE]

I think Jmm makes a good point as she usually does!
It isn't like every maltese is the same color white...think of all those shades of white paint in the paint store...there is a lot of variety.
I don't use any whitening shampoo on my guys but I do use high end shampoo and rinse that cleans well, leaves a nice feel and I rinse all product out well.
Those purple/blue products give the illusion of "whiteness" and it seems to me better to leave the boys their very own true shade of white that they are.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn+Feb 3 2005, 10:03 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-littlepeanut
@Feb 3 2005, 08:56 AM
I also use a whitening shampoo every other week.  It's a non bleaching kind, it just has color 'enhancers'.  It's tinted purple to make the coat look whiter.  I follow it with a oatmeal conditioner, but I do that regardless of what shampoo I use.  I think it's the shampoos that bleach that need the heavy duty conditioning afterwards.  Hope this helps

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33102

Mine is purple too...I didn't know they had any that actually "bleached"-where do you get those? What brand?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=33122
[/B][/QUOTE]

tlunn, I 've never used the 'bleaching' shampoo. But I did a google search for whitening shampoos so I could compare the ingredients a while back and some of the shampoos that came up claimed to 'bleach' the hair. They all recommended a pre treatment of conditioner and a heavy duty conditioner to 'repair' some of the damage from bleaching.

It sounds a little too harsh to use on Peanut and the purple shampoo is good enough for me. Sorry I don't have any useful info about it.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
I find that Pantene does such a nice job of whitening that I really don't need to use a whitening shampoo very often. I have the A#1 All Systems whitening shampoo and it does a really good job, but I do notice Lady's coat feels drier afterwards.

I do use it a little more often on Lady's beard and feet, though. I put it on full strength when I first start, then let it sit there while I shampoo the rest of her. It does a better job of bleaching the stained/dirty spots.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hello Ladysmom !! Id like to thank you all for helping me out on this topic, Geez im just sooo excited about almost getting my baby
Well, youve all said that you use a moisturizing rinse,shampoo after you do the bleaching right? so which kind should i look for ? Please let me know ty.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Catcher and Kallie and different shades of white. Kallie has more of a silky coat and it is not as white as Catcher's, which is a very thick coat that is not real silky. Neither the groomer nor I have ever used a whitening shampoo or any whitening products on them. The only place I think I would be interested in whitening is on Catcher's face around his beard area. It would seem to me that whitening shampoo must have harsh chemicals in it. I just hate to use things like that to make them whiter... they seem to be plenty white to me.....

1 - 12 of 12 Posts