Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
I do home prepared meals for Teddy...the vet just came over the other day and said he was doing awesome on what I am feeding him...I actually made dinner for him while she was here and she said it was good enough for her to eat...

She actually gets me the natural vitamins from her supplier.

Susan

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you can get vitamins at a human people store---to get the bonemeal and flaxseed. and for pet tab vitamins---i get at petsmart.

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I would like at ask for those who do cook, how long does it take for you to prepare your furbabies food? And what do you think would be the cost comparision of home cook vs. all natural kibble?

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I home-cook for Pico because of his MVD and he really didn't care much for the Science Diet l/d and I got tired of throwing the canned stuff away and putting out fresh for him because he'd leave it sit for hours.

His canned cost about $10.40/month and the home-cooked recipes I make are about $11.75/month, including the tsp of low fat cottage cheese and tsp of yoghurt daily that I add. It doesn't include the calcium I add because I was too lazy to figure out what 3 1/2 tsp costs out of the big jar I buy.

It takes about 4 hours each month to make a month's worth of meals for him and I do it in two sessions. One day I poach the chicken breasts, bake the potatoe, steam the veggies, boil the eggs and cook the oatmeal.

Next day I grind the chicken, process the potatoes, eggs and veggies, all in the food processor, (separately) mix the two recipes up (adding the calcium) and package them into 2 1/2 oz (level 1/4 cup)portions into snack baggies. I flatten them out and store them in the freezer in zipper freezer bags. Each day I take out a bag, alternating recipes, give him half at lunch and half at dinner as recommended for dogs with liver disease. Here's where I put the cottage cheese or yogurt on his plate.

We occasionally still give him a bite of salmon, potatoe or chicken from our plates, but only occasionally.

It's a bit of a pain to do but the joy I get in seeing him go to his plate WHEN I SET IT DOWN and EAT THE ENTIRE PLATE IN ONE SITTING it sooooo worth it. I'm planning to have bloodwork done this fall to see that he is getting enough nutrients with this diet and I'll let you know how it works out.

SUPPLEMENTS: B-naturals.com has good supplements but be sure you know what your dog really NEEDS before you give them. I read on W.D. Cusick's site that you should not feed Maltese any supplemental Vitamin C because it can do kidney and liver damage. At the same time, he writes that the historic diet of Maltese on the island of Malta was fresh water filtered through limestone, goat, fish, poultry and highly acidic fruits such as orange (vit C) grape, (?) fig and avocado (?). He said the water prevents the tear stains and the diet keeps the coat white, not yellowing.
So the canine nutrition issue can get so danged clouded if you read a lot like I do.

W.D. Cusick

This is why I don't supplement Pico's diet except for calcium and Denosyl. My vet looked at my recipes and said they looked complete but the proof is in the blood work, I believe.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
i buy about 3- 4 breast / whole chicken (foster farms chicken, they dont use any hormones or preservatives) per month .. one costs about 10 dollars at a grocery store

but i changed to half chicken and half dog food coz i dont think im giving enough nutritions just from homecooked food and about 3 vets told me that taking a bloodtest wont really tell you if they are lacking nutritions so im scared so im giving half dog food now

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
Originally posted by mee@Aug 5 2005, 08:50 AM
i buy about 3- 4 breast / whole chicken (foster farms chicken, they dont use any hormones or preservatives) per month .. one costs about 10 dollars at a grocery store

but i changed to half chicken and half dog food coz i dont think im giving enough nutritions just from homecooked food and about 3 vets told me that taking a bloodtest wont really tell you if they are lacking nutritions so im scared so im giving half dog food now
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87368
[/QUOTE]

Mee,

I dispute what those vets said about bloodwork. I know for a fact that there are tests done on humans to check mineral content in their blood and I'm fuzzy about whether the vitamin was detected or if there were other ways to determine vitamin deficiency. How else did they figure out what dogs needed vs. cats, etc?

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 5 2005, 07:46 AM
I got the Strombeck book and I'm waiting until next month to get the Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.  I noticed in the Strombeck book it only has you adding bonemeal and a multi-vitamin.  I remember someone mentioning they added calcium and some other stuff.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87334
[/QUOTE]
Kristi,in Stombecks book there is a basic formula that you make ahead of time and store.You use that with each batch you make,that has all the add in's in it.
Bonemeal IS calcium. Or there is a bonemeal that he prefers that you can buy online and you use like 1/4 tea of this,instead of cal. in recipes other than his for the cal.Or you can also use organic egg shells that you have dryed in the oven and crumbled into a fine powder.
I find the cost of homecooking somewhat cheaper than kibble,if you make large batches and freeze them.Time wise as has been said,doenst take that long if you pick a day each month to do it. If you dont have alot of freezer space you can make a batch each week.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by sheila2182+Aug 5 2005, 09:12 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 5 2005, 07:46 AM
I got the Strombeck book and I'm waiting until next month to get the Dr. Pitcairn's New Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats.  I noticed in the Strombeck book it only has you adding bonemeal and a multi-vitamin.  I remember someone mentioning they added calcium and some other stuff.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87334
Kristi,in Stombecks book there is a basic formula that you make ahead of time and store.You use that with each batch you make,that has all the add in's in it.
Bonemeal IS calcium. Or there is a bonemeal that he prefers that you can buy online and you use like 1/4 tea of this,instead of cal. in recipes other than his for the cal.Or you can also use organic egg shells that you have dryed in the oven and crumbled into a fine powder.
I find the cost of homecooking somewhat cheaper than kibble,if you make large batches and freeze them.Time wise as has been said,doenst take that long if you pick a day each month to do it. If you dont have alot of freezer space you can make a batch each week.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87376
[/B][/QUOTE]
How many meals do you get out of one of his recipes? It kind of seemed like it would be about 3.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 5 2005, 09:25 AM
How many meals do you get out of one of his recipes?  It kind of seemed like it would be about 3.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87384
[/QUOTE]
I always double,trible etc. the recipes for my three.Ive never "just" fixed the origenal recipe.
Oh and I always make two huge batches,like a chic one & a beef ,turkey one.That way I give them variety,like chic. one meal and the other kind the next meal.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by sheila2182+Aug 5 2005, 09:46 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 5 2005, 09:25 AM
How many meals do you get out of one of his recipes?  It kind of seemed like it would be about 3.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87384
I always double,trible etc. the recipes for my three.Ive never "just" fixed the origenal recipe.
Oh and I always make two huge batches,like a chic one & a beef ,turkey one.That way I give them variety,like chic. one meal and the other kind the next meal.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87397
[/B][/QUOTE]
Good idea! Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Originally posted by Pico's Parent@Aug 5 2005, 09:43 AM
I home-cook for Pico because of his MVD and he really didn't care much for the Science Diet l/d and I got tired of throwing the canned stuff away and putting out fresh for him because he'd leave it sit for hours.

His canned cost about $10.40/month and the home-cooked recipes I make are about $11.75/month, including the tsp of low fat cottage cheese and tsp of yoghurt daily that I add.  It doesn't include the calcium I add because I was too lazy to figure out what 3 1/2 tsp costs out of the big jar I buy.

It takes about 4 hours each month to make a month's worth of meals for him and I do it in two sessions.  One day I poach the chicken breasts, bake the potatoe, steam the veggies, boil the eggs and cook the oatmeal.

Next day I grind the chicken, process the potatoes, eggs and veggies, all in the food processor, (separately) mix the two recipes up (adding the calcium) and package them into 2 1/2 oz (level 1/4 cup)portions into snack baggies. I flatten them out and store them in the freezer in zipper freezer bags.  Each day I take out a bag, alternating recipes, give him half at lunch and half at dinner as recommended for dogs with liver disease.  Here's where I put the cottage cheese or yogurt on his plate.

We occasionally still give him a bite of salmon, potatoe or chicken from our plates, but only occasionally.

It's a bit of a pain to do but the joy I get in seeing him go to his plate WHEN I SET IT DOWN and EAT THE ENTIRE PLATE IN ONE SITTING it sooooo worth it.  I'm planning to have bloodwork done this fall to see that he is getting enough nutrients with this diet and I'll let you know how it works out.

SUPPLEMENTS:  B-naturals.com has good supplements but be sure you know what your dog really NEEDS before you give them.  I read on W.D. Cusick's site that you should not feed Maltese any supplemental Vitamin C because it can do kidney and liver damage.  At the same time, he writes that the historic diet of Maltese on the island of Malta was fresh water filtered through limestone, goat, fish, poultry and highly acidic fruits such as orange (vit C) grape, (?) fig and avocado (?).  He said the water prevents the tear stains and the diet keeps the coat white, not yellowing.
So the canine nutrition issue can get so danged clouded if you read a lot like I do.

W.D. Cusick

This is why I don't supplement Pico's diet except for calcium and Denosyl.  My vet looked at my recipes and said they looked complete but the proof is in the blood work, I believe.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=87364
[/QUOTE]

OMG I just went through the site you posted and had a look into the other site where it reported on commercial dog foods, no wonder Scooby hates them, I will never insist on him eating any of them again and will continue to give him fresh of what we eat as he is healthy bright and happy. I have to say that turned my stomach to think that if what is in that site is true we are feeding our little guys their own kind.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
Bonemeal is Calcium. well, its calcium and phosphorus---its to balance out the phosphorus your dog eats with the meat or osmething. i dont question it. LOL!!! but it explains it in the book. LOL.

and feeding all three (including gruffi who eats more than a pound of meat everyday) it costs us like $500/month. with dog food, it would come out to like $40 or something. LOL or even less. i forget.

i just like it a lot more cuz as you see, there's stuff in dog food you wouldnt want your baby to eat.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I just got the Dr. Pitcairn book and made my first batch of food yesterday. I have to say, it didn't smell very good, but I'm a vegetarian, so what do I know. I couldn't bring myself to use raw meat, or to cook it, so I bought roasted turkey slices. Maybe that was the problem. I guess I'll have to get over that. Dolce ate it, but it took her a lot longer to finish than with her regular canned food (Innova), so I'm not sure if she liked it.

Has anyone tried using raw meat, or do you all cook yours? Is it really ok to use?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Originally posted by dolcevita@Oct 24 2005, 01:09 PM
I just got the Dr. Pitcairn book and made my first batch of food yesterday.  I have to say, it didn't smell very good, but I'm a vegetarian, so what do I know.  I couldn't bring myself to use raw meat, or to cook it, so I bought roasted turkey slices.  Maybe that was the problem.  I guess I'll have to get over that.  Dolce ate it, but it took her a lot longer to finish than with her regular canned food (Innova), so I'm not sure if she liked it.

Has anyone tried using raw meat, or do you all cook yours?  Is it really ok to use?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=112986
[/QUOTE]
I cook all of the meats. I just can't do the whole raw food diet. The girls love their food. They will literally lick their plates clean.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I cook for Vinny and I am a vegetarian as well. It is pretty nasty handling raw flesh but I do it for Vinny's sake and I use latex gloves. I get a bag of vitamin supplements free from the vet, it's about a baggie size and and lasts for months. I add calcium tablets (I grind them up) I think that is the only thing missing from the mix. I make about a months worth at a time and make either large balls in muffin tins or loaf shaped and I can just slice off a meal the rest gets frozen and I have 3 or 4 days out at a time. Once a month he gets a baked chicken breast with a carb and veg. I am not sure of the cost per month but a large package of ground meat/chicken rice and vegetables I would estimate around $10.00 a month.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts