Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Friends-
Just wanted to tell you a quick tale about Teddy's scary experience. Who knows, it might help one of you.
Unfortunately, I have to leave Teddy at home when I go to work. He has gotten to the point that I can leave him out without him destroying the chairs, shoes, etc. He's over a year now. I think he quite enjoys it...he is confined though to the livingroom, kitchen and upstairs bedrooms.
Anyway, I had a bad "feeling" all day because Chicago had one of the biggest storms in years, and he was alone during it. I don't know, just had this feeling.
So I come down the driveway, (it took me over an hour to get home this day) and always, there is my Teddy...poking his head out from the vertical blinds anxiously awaiting my arrival. Not today though. I honk the horn, thinking maybe he's sleeping and didn't hear me pull up...nothing. No sign of him. Something is wrong.
I rush into the house and there is my Teddy, running at me hysterical, with - a floor vent hanging from his neck. Oh My GOD. I couldn't tell right away how the heck it was clinging to him. He was so upset, that he couldn't keep his little body still. I quickly realized that his dog tag (it's a flat silver "bone") had went into one of the vent slats when he was probably laying on the vent to cool off. Then when he stood up, the tag "turned" (like a lock) and he couldn't get it off so he pulled it off of the floor and there it stuck on him. He completely freaked out. Tore up the house, trying to get this darn vent off of him. Poor little guy - I had no idea how long he had it on but I guessed it had been a while. The vent was bigger than he is!
Our dogs have always laid on the vents "sucking up all the air" and never did it dawn on me that the tag could get stuck. He recovered within a minute or so. Just very anxious I imagine. Teddy is fine - I thought I would share that.
I now tape the tag to his collar to prevent this from happening again.

Anyway, just wanted to share.

Take care guys!
-Jackie and Teddy

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
:eek: OMG!! That's scary!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
The same thing happened to my Petie in our old house up in New York. The vents/grates were screwed down so he couldn't pull them up. Fortunately it happened while I was home. He was sleeping near my feet.

I have never kept a collar or harness on ever since.

I am so glad Teddy is alright! What a scary experience for both of you!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Gosh, I am sooo glad that he is OK... what a scare!! Thank you for sharing that. You may have prevented someone else's baby from doing the same thing.

I recommend no collars at all when unsupervised. There are just too many things that could happen. My cousin's Doxy puppy accidentally got his collar caught on something (can't remember what) and died. One time a couple years ago I came home and found Kallie with her collar underneath her jaw.. she had tried to take it off or something and it was stuck around her mouth. Ever since those two incidents I don't keep collars on my guys at all.... just too dangerous.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Gosh, I am sooo glad that he is OK... what a scare!!

I recommend no collars at all when unsupervised. There are just too many things that could happen. My cousin's Doxy puppy accidentally got his collar caught on something (can't remember what) and died. One time a couple years ago I came home and found Kallie with her collar underneath her jaw.. she had tried to take it off or something and it was stuck around her mouth. Ever since those two incidents I don't keep collars on my guys at all.... just too dangerous.

You just raised even more awareness for me with your stories - thank you. I saw Teddy get his collar caught in his jaw once when he was very little, but the ones we have now he seems to have no problems with and isn't able to get the collar around his mouth. Then again, these are mischevious little guys and u can't put anything past them.

I know exactly what you mean about no collars. I have to say though, what worries me is that the dogs can get loose and if they don't have a tag on them, even if they are micro-chipped, the likelyhood of them being returned is far less. My furbabies aren't exactly trustworty, I hate to say. My mom suggested getting his name and address professionally stitched to the collar. I've seen that done before.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I'm glad your baby is alright!
Thats a scarey thing to happen...

Our Beagle did kinda the same thing... but he was outside and he LOVED to chase things in the yard so... our fence was really old at the time so it had a lot of holes and stuff in it (nothing real big though). Anyway... he was chasing something and it ran through a little hole at the bottom of the fence. What do you think our pup did..?! Yup... stuck his head through the hole. The only prob was he couldnt get it back out! No one was outside with him at the time (my dad was getting ready for work)... all we heard was this screaming! My dad rushed outside and saw our poor dog stuck in the fence... all you saw was his back...
My dad ended up breaking the fence to get him free.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7@Aug 3 2005, 12:22 PM
I know exactly what you mean about no collars. I have to say though, what worries me is that the dogs can get loose and if they don't have a tag on them, even if they are micro-chipped, the likelyhood of them being returned is far less. My furbabies aren't exactly trustworty, I hate to say. My mom suggested getting his name and address professionally stitched to the collar. I've seen that done before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86910
[/QUOTE]
I don't keep collars on the girls when we are inside but when I'm at work Lexi is loose in the apartment. I'm afraid of the maintence guys opening the door and her getting out so I leave her collar on her. I've seen the collars with the names stitched in them and have thought about getting some for the girls. Maybe for christmas.

·
Registered
5,656 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Aug 3 2005, 01:11 PM
I've seen the collars with the names stitched in them and have thought about getting some for the girls.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86917
[/QUOTE]
Be careful with the collars with the name and address sewn on them. I recently read a story about some guy who became obsessed with a girl that he met at the dog park; her dog had one of those collars and using the phone number, he was able to track her down and stalk her.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole+Aug 3 2005, 01:17 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Lexi's Mom
@Aug 3 2005, 01:11 PM
I've seen the collars with the names stitched in them and have thought about getting some for the girls.
Be careful with the collars with the name and address sewn on them. I recently read a story about some guy who became obsessed with a girl that he met at the dog park; her dog had one of those collars and using the phone number, he was able to track her down and stalk her.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86922
[/B][/QUOTE]
I would probably use my cell number which is unlisted. That would be scary though. There are a lot of sickos out there.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
OMG, I am so sorry for Teddy, must have been so scared
Thank you for the warning, you just never know what might happen, so better safe than sorry.
I was at a wedding outside of Chicago over the weekend, we flew back Mon. night, I'm glad we missed the storm. I hate flying in bad weather.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Sorry to hear that Teddy had to go through that but glad he is okay.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 3 2005, 02:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teddy7
@Aug 3 2005, 12:22 PM
I don't keep collars on the girls when we are inside but when I'm at work Lexi is loose in the apartment. I'm afraid of the maintence guys opening the door and her getting out so I leave her collar on her. I've seen the collars with the names stitched in them and have thought about getting some for the girls. Maybe for christmas.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Is there a way to not allow the maintenance man to come in when you aren't there? Perhaps put a "Beware of Dog" sign and not allow them to come in unless you are home. I would just be afraid that the collar could get caught on something in a freak accident......

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7+Aug 3 2005, 01:22 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@ Aug 3 2005, 1:11 PM
Gosh, I am sooo glad that he is OK... what a scare!!

You just raised even more awareness for me with your stories - thank you. I saw Teddy get his collar caught in his jaw once when he was very little, but the ones we have now he seems to have no problems with and isn't able to get the collar around his mouth. Then again, these are mischevious little guys and u can't put anything past them.
[/B][/QUOTE]

The tags are an issue, yes, but collars are, too. They're not likely to get out if you're home so perhaps you could leave the collar off when you're gone ?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Aug 3 2005, 01:51 PM-->
Originally posted by Lexi's [email protected] 3 2005, 02:11 PM
<!--QuoteBegin-Teddy7
@Aug 3 2005, 12:22 PM

[/QUOTE]

Is there a way to not allow the maintenance man to come in when you aren't there? Perhaps put a "Beware of Dog" sign and not allow them to come in unless you are home. I would just be afraid that the collar could get caught on something in a freak accident......
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86935
[/B][/QUOTE]
They would only enter (without me knowing) f it is an emergancy (pipe broke, toilet leaking, etc.). So not likely but it did happen once before I got Lexi. I could try telling the office but they probably won't do anything. I should make up a sign for the door. I just don't like to advertise to strangers that I have dogs in the apartment. Very safe area but afraid someone would break in and steal them. Me being parinoid (sp bad) mommy.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts