Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Gosh, I am sooo glad that he is OK... what a scare!! Thank you for sharing that. You may have prevented someone else's baby from doing the same thing.

I recommend no collars at all when unsupervised. There are just too many things that could happen. My cousin's Doxy puppy accidentally got his collar caught on something (can't remember what) and died. One time a couple years ago I came home and found Kallie with her collar underneath her jaw.. she had tried to take it off or something and it was stuck around her mouth. Ever since those two incidents I don't keep collars on my guys at all.... just too dangerous.

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Aug 3 2005, 02:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Teddy7
@Aug 3 2005, 12:22 PM
I know exactly what you mean about no collars. I have to say though, what worries me is that the dogs can get loose and if they don't have a tag on them, even if they are micro-chipped, the likelyhood of them being returned is far less. My furbabies aren't exactly trustworty, I hate to say. My mom suggested getting his name and address professionally stitched to the collar. I've seen that done before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86910
I don't keep collars on the girls when we are inside but when I'm at work Lexi is loose in the apartment. I'm afraid of the maintence guys opening the door and her getting out so I leave her collar on her. I've seen the collars with the names stitched in them and have thought about getting some for the girls. Maybe for christmas.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86917
[/B][/QUOTE]

Is there a way to not allow the maintenance man to come in when you aren't there? Perhaps put a "Beware of Dog" sign and not allow them to come in unless you are home. I would just be afraid that the collar could get caught on something in a freak accident......

· Premium Member
21,119 Posts
Originally posted by Teddy7+Aug 3 2005, 01:22 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@ Aug 3 2005, 1:11 PM
Gosh, I am sooo glad that he is OK... what a scare!!

I recommend no collars at all when unsupervised. There are just too many things that could happen. My cousin's Doxy puppy accidentally got his collar caught on something (can't remember what) and died. One time a couple years ago I came home and found Kallie with her collar underneath her jaw.. she had tried to take it off or something and it was stuck around her mouth. Ever since those two incidents I don't keep collars on my guys at all.... just too dangerous.

You just raised even more awareness for me with your stories - thank you. I saw Teddy get his collar caught in his jaw once when he was very little, but the ones we have now he seems to have no problems with and isn't able to get the collar around his mouth. Then again, these are mischevious little guys and u can't put anything past them.
I know exactly what you mean about no collars. I have to say though, what worries me is that the dogs can get loose and if they don't have a tag on them, even if they are micro-chipped, the likelyhood of them being returned is far less. My furbabies aren't exactly trustworty, I hate to say. My mom suggested getting his name and address professionally stitched to the collar. I've seen that done before.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=86910
[/B][/QUOTE]

The tags are an issue, yes, but collars are, too. They're not likely to get out if you're home so perhaps you could leave the collar off when you're gone ?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.