Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It can get hectic at times taking care of the kids and the dog. Especially when the kids are young. I have 2 girls under the age of 9 and they looooove our little fluff. They do need to be reminded to not tease the dog though at times. Do your kids help out with the dog?

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I have two kids, ages 11 and 12 but they were 7 and 8 when we got our first maltese Lucy.

At first, my kids weren't 'allowed' to pick her up, she was definitely my dog but as time (and the maltese obsession grew) my daughter became REALLY involved and now shows Lucy in Junior Showmanship. She is 11 now and I trust her 100% holding any dog or puppy. My son, not so much.
Marina is really comfortable with the dogs so it makes it really nice. Here is a pic of her and her puppy this weekend. If my son was holding this puppy, he's be holding it very awkwardly , LOL

She does a lot of the bathing, grooming, feeding, etc so definitely she is involved.

Definitely keep an eye on your pup if your kids are teasing her. I know it happens, believe me! They just have fun and then get carried away.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
I have two kids, ages 11 and 12 but they were 7 and 8 when we got our first maltese Lucy.

At first, my kids weren't 'allowed' to pick her up, she was definitely my dog but as time (and the maltese obsession grew) my daughter became REALLY involved and now shows Lucy in Junior Showmanship. She is 11 now and I trust her 100% holding any dog or puppy. My son, not so much.
Marina is really comfortable with the dogs so it makes it really nice. Here is a pic of her and her puppy this weekend. If my son was holding this puppy, he's be holding it very awkwardly , LOL

She does a lot of the bathing, grooming, feeding, etc so definitely she is involved.

Definitely keep an eye on your pup if your kids are teasing her. I know it happens, believe me! They just have fun and then get carried away.
Stacy, that picture is priceless!!!!

·
Registered
4,975 Posts

LMAO Lucy looks like she's saying "Hey I know how many ribbons I won kid so don't take any.":w00t::w00t::w00t:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I have three children. They are 10, 9 and 3years old. They are very gentle around Ponyo and im happy to say the activity level in my house has lowered quite a bit since we brought Ponyo home! =) I allow my two older kids to pick up Ponyo as long as they ask first and I supervise! This is something so new to us because we are a family that is used to having big dogs. But we are all learning and enjoying our little marshmallow of love together =)

·
Premium Member
1,466 Posts
I have 6 kiddos, but older two are grown and gone. 4 at home, 3 sons 12,10,5 and my youngest daughter who is 4. Our definately a busy one! Thankfully I get to stay at home and I just work PT on the weekends for Nutro, because if I had to work a FT job, plus the house work, etc. My house would be a tornado! We have Delilah, our Sheltie, 2 cats, a turtle, a rabbit and tons of tish tanks around the house. Having exposed our kids to animals since birth has made them respect them. And they do very,very well with all the animals and know they must be on the floor to play with any of them, minus the Sheltie of course. So yeah, definately a full house. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Stacy~ Christopher is so excited to be doing the Juniors clinic with Marina! He even already has his 4-H project in the works for next year. He is going to do the Dog trainer/obedience and Delilah will be his model.

Love the pic of Marina and her baby!! She looks like a pro already!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
is that Lucy? I thought it was Emma? Is Marina showing both now??
It's Emma. Marina shows Emma in the breed ring and Lucy in juniors. :))) It will be a very sad day if Lucy is replaced for juniors. She'll be furious. Lucy, I mean, not Marina, LOL

LMAO Lucy looks like she's saying "Hey I know how many ribbons I won kid so don't take any.":w00t::w00t::w00t:
Hahaha! That is Emma, Marina's puppy she is showing in the breed ring. She was saying "I won? REALLY? I really won???!!!"

I have 6 kiddos, but older two are grown and gone. 4 at home, 3 sons 12,10,5 and my youngest daughter who is 4. Our definately a busy one! Thankfully I get to stay at home and I just work PT on the weekends for Nutro, because if I had to work a FT job, plus the house work, etc. My house would be a tornado! We have Delilah, our Sheltie, 2 cats, a turtle, a rabbit and tons of tish tanks around the house. Having exposed our kids to animals since birth has made them respect them. And they do very,very well with all the animals and know they must be on the floor to play with any of them, minus the Sheltie of course. So yeah, definately a full house. But I wouldn't trade it for anything in the world.

Stacy~ Christopher is so excited to be doing the Juniors clinic with Marina! He even already has his 4-H project in the works for next year. He is going to do the Dog trainer/obedience and Delilah will be his model.

Love the pic of Marina and her baby!! She looks like a pro already!
Laura, it should be really fun and I know Marina is really looking forward to it!!! I'm so glad they are doing this.

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
to the original poster: it seems like you are doing what is right by watching your children with your malt and reminding them to be considerate and careful.

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have 3 malts and 4 kids, ages 9 1/2, 7 1/2, 5 1/2, and 3 1/2 (lol) They all know to be careful and only pick up/touch the dogs if they ask. Gwen, our youngest, is always supervised with the doggies. And I am a stay at home mom so I am always here with the malts as well. It can be hectic, especially on bath days...but my oldest girls help me a lot with them.

Malayah (oldest daughter) will be showing Triniti in Juniors and will be at the Junior clinic as well. Can't wait!

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
I have 3 malts and 4 kids, ages 9 1/2, 7 1/2, 5 1/2, and 3 1/2 (lol) They all know to be careful and only pick up/touch the dogs if they ask. Gwen, our youngest, is always supervised with the doggies. And I am a stay at home mom so I am always here with the malts as well. It can be hectic, especially on bath days...but my oldest girls help me a lot with them.

Malayah (oldest daughter) will be showing Triniti in Juniors and will be at the Junior clinic as well. Can't wait!
Marina is looking forward to meeting Malayah!

so to answer the question asked originally - kids and malts can be a VERY good thing! (but can also be a nightmare, depending on the situation :thumbsup:)

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i have four kids the girls are 13 and 16 , and the boys 7 and 2 . and dolce ! the girls are a big help w dolce as they change wee wee pads, feed , brush .. the boys play fetch and cuddle .. my two yr old is not allowed to carry dolce on his own but when he carries him he does a better job than some adults i know...
it is hard at times , cause dolce is a baby himself . but i think we r doing perfectly fine , i think we have all adapted to dolce he is just the furbaby of the house and everyone loves him.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts