Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I really, really want to get another Malt, a pal for Angus. The only obstacle? My husband, who is totally opposed to it.

I have been working on him for the past month, and I finally saw a glimmer of hope yesterday...he's not so vehemently opposed now (moreso still saying no, but less firm, if you know what I mean).

We have just spent the week with my in-laws who have two American Eskimos, and Angus had an absolute blast having someone to play with. Now that I see a wedge, I want to pour it on, to convince him to let me get a second.

What would you say to convince someone to get a second Malt? I have been trying to explain to him the value of Angus having company throughout the day, so that he's not lonely when my hubbie's out at meetings (he has a home office but leaves for periods during the day to meet with clients, or sometimes he's out of town on business, so Angus spends the day solo
).

I also mentioned that two are no more work than one (i.e., another bowl of food, etc. If I'm caring for one, adding another will not be that much more). Are there other reasons you'd add?

Help?

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I am working on mine too!

We both got a big laugh yesterday when Brinkley took his squeaky dinosaur to the cat and layed it in front of her nose. He then nudged the cat and kept trying to pick up the dino like he does when he is playing with us...he wanted Little Bit to play with him.
She was not amused, nor did she catch on... :D I told hubby that he needed a doggy playmate...he told me to go sit in the floor and play with him and he would be just as content! :eek:

Good luck on yours! Mine is not budging any time soon!

·
Registered
608 Posts
I tried the well then I guess we will just have to try for a little girl route.... Needless to say he shut me up pretty quick by agreeing more kids would be wonderful. The extent he is willing to go to avoid another dog...

·
Registered
660 Posts
My hubby said NO WAY!!! One is enough. When he asked what I wanted for Valentines day I said nothing, he asked why and I said what is the point you won't get me what I really want. He bought Sassy for me for Valentines day, I was shocked. Then he rescued another Malt so I ended up with 3. My advise is persistance pays off! He even came with me to my Maltese Mommy and me meetup!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 18 2005, 10:04 AM
I tried the well then I guess we will just have to try for a little girl route.... Needless to say he shut me up pretty quick by agreeing more kids would be wonderful.  The extent he is willing to go to avoid another dog...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53705
[/QUOTE]

Mine would rather have more skin kids too!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Originally posted by tlunn+Apr 18 2005, 11:20 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@Apr 18 2005, 10:04 AM
I tried the well then I guess we will just have to try for a little girl route.... Needless to say he shut me up pretty quick by agreeing more kids would be wonderful.  The extent he is willing to go to avoid another dog...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53705

Mine would rather have more skin kids too!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53714
[/B][/QUOTE]

Ack! That is what he says too! We don't have any children and he's been on the kiddie bandwagon lately. His rationale is that we can have babies and I'll be on mat leave = lots of company for Angus.
(Maternity leave in Canada is 1 year). Then the kiddies will be playmates for Angus when they get older....

Arrrggh. I'm not giving up. I want me a little girl Malt!

·
Registered
994 Posts
Originally posted by Angus@Apr 18 2005, 09:37 AM
I really, really want to get another Malt, a pal for Angus. The only obstacle? My husband, who is totally opposed to it. 

I have been working on him for the past month, and I finally saw a glimmer of hope yesterday...he's not so vehemently opposed now (moreso still saying no, but less firm, if you know what I mean).

We have just spent the week with my in-laws who have two American Eskimos, and Angus had an absolute blast having someone to play with. Now that I see a wedge, I want to pour it on, to convince him to let me get a second.

What would you say to convince someone to get a second Malt? I have been trying to explain to him the value of Angus having company throughout the day, so that he's not lonely when my hubbie's out at meetings (he has a home office but leaves for periods during the day to meet with clients, or sometimes he's out of town on business, so Angus spends the day solo 
).

I also mentioned that two are no more work than one (i.e., another bowl of food, etc. If I'm caring for one, adding another will not be that much more). Are there other reasons you'd add?

Help? 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53694
[/QUOTE]

angus is adorable
hmm what would i do here i would do it anyway
all kidding aside
i almost 3 times already went to get maxi a brother or sister and all 3 times at the last minute i didnt do it , i kept thinking of the routine i have with maxi and how great it is now why would i want to ruin it and than when i think sometimes he is home alone i want to go get get him a brother or sister but than i think how he might not really want one plus the fact my friends toy poodle is maxis best friend and they spend a few days a week together
so i opted not too i have mixed emotions
i also spend alot of money on maxi every month not the norm i buy him everything he gets groomed every few weeks , i go over board
with dog walkers and clothes etc... if i got another one i would be in the poor house

·
Registered
608 Posts
[/QUOTE]
(Maternity leave in Canada is 1 year). Then the kiddies will be playmates for Angus when they get older....

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53726
[/QUOTE]

One year???? Must be nice. Are you able to get pay for the entire year?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by dhodina@Apr 18 2005, 11:07 AM

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53735
[/B][/QUOTE]

Dang!! You get a whole year off?!?!?!

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+Apr 18 2005, 12:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-dhodina
@Apr 18 2005, 11:07 AM
<div class='quotemain'>

[/QUOTE]

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53735
[/B][/QUOTE]

Dang!! You get a whole year off?!?!?!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=53736
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yup. A year paid. You receive benefits like Employment Insurance at a minimum (I think it's just under $600 per week?? Could be less I guess depending on what your wage is). Some (better) employers also top up your Maternity Benefits so that you continue to earn your regular salary while you're on leave.

Remember, though...we pay much, much, much more in taxes than you do. About 50% of my salary goes to taxes....

Now about that second Malt....

·
Registered
3,010 Posts
I got my little Abbey because I wanted another baby! - Hubby said a puppy sounded better!! LOL

Men- Aren't they funny!?!

Try to convince him that training two at the same time would be better than going through the training again. Keep being persistent! Hope it works!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I was in the same boat as you just 2 short months ago .I wanted to get Chico a friend to play with and my husband was like NO WAY!!!!!!!! then i waited a couple of days and asked him again he was like ''oh come on denise i dont want another dog''....... ( not as firm that time
) then i was looking in the paper and saw some pups for sale ''oh huney pleassssssssse can we get another puppy? sigh.................................. go call and see how much they are.... lololol and along came Buddy
and i never regreted getting a 2nd they jsut love each other! Good Luck!!!!!!! ~ Denise

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hmmm, not sure I'd push the 2 are no more work than 1 angle too much. I mean yes, if you have to feed one it's just as easy in the physical labor department to feed two, however that is twice as much food, twice as many treats, two times the vet bills etc. Just so you don't rosy coat the situation too much.

I have no idea what your budget situation looks like, but is there something you would be willing to "give up" in order to have a second puppy now? Like maybe instead of having premium cable you switch to basic. Or instead of a 2 week Carribbean holiday, you plan a weeklong trip somewhere closer. In other words, besides wanting a playmate for Angus show your husband how important having a second baby is to YOU.

Safe to assume that your husband enjoys making you happy? Safe to assume you are willing to take on the majority of "work" for a second baby? Remind him how much happier that would make YOU and when the wife is happy, the husband is happy.

·
Registered
226 Posts
boy...after reading all your posts, i feel so lucky!!! i only asked once and he said YES! but maybe it's because we are both huge dog lovers and love spending time with them. we are getting are new maltese boy either tomorrow or wednesday
and that will be our third and last. we are not planning on having kids anytime soon, so maybe that's why there is no need for convincing. plus its great practice! it's as if i already have 3 babies that i love to death.

nousha, tessa, morgan, and our soon to be..

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
you should try looking for old love letters he gave you when you were younger, and be like "where's that man that would do anything for me". like give him a guilt trip.

OR---you can just buy the other one and say "i can do whatever i want"----thats what i do.

....im sorry....but i hate how women in 2005 have to ask for permission from their husbands. it just seems so 1905 to me, you know?

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I love, love, love having two and for the most part I can't say anything negative about it. But there is one huge negative, both my dogs are sick right now and it's very costly to take care of two. I'm lucky that money hasn't been an issue in this case but I know it certainly could be. Just the visit to the vet for Tuffy alone today was over $100. I don't know hold old your dog is, but my two are a year apart so they will be seniors at the same time and that means double the vet bills for two aging dogs. Hate to be the downer in the thread, but it's always good to look at every angle. But, I will say I don't regret for a second getting another dog.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
My bf saw how ButterCloud was such a mama's boy that he wanted a daddy's girl. LOL And then when we saw her picture, we just couldn't say no. But she's mama's girl too! MUAAHAHAHAH

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
I don't know if 2 are BETTER than 1, but 2 sure are fun. I sort of accidently have 3 right now. Jolie is much older and when Sadie came she didn't play with her much so that wasn't any help. When Sassy came, though, the fun really started. The two puppies entertain each other endlessly. They'll be rolling around and chasing each other, and then BOOM - they are both spread out on the floor, fast asleep. We don't have to worry much about enough exercise because they take care of that themselves. My husband and I are empty nesters and we get a big kick out of the two. In fact my husband is making noises about not seperating Sassy and Sadie when our daughter takes Sadie off to dental school next fall. Don't know what'll happen...We may have to share the pair - a couple of weeks at our house, a week at our daughter's condo, etc. I just don't know if we'll be able to part them. They aren't so focused on each other that they don't love to cuddle. That part is just fine, yet I don't feel like I have to give them my undivided attention. One dog is pretty expensive to maintain - vet, good quality food, "stuff" and grooming. Having both means twice as much, so you have to consider that.

Good luck with your decision making.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Doctor Cathy, I think that wives DO have to ask their husbands before getting another dog. After all, if you live together, you should make decisions together. How thrilled would YOU be if your husband just went out and bought a pet without consulting you at all? Husbands also need to ask their wives. In a relationship, I think that all parties involved should agree.

And.....because I believe this, this is just one reason why I don't want to get married or even live with someone.
I LOVE having total and absolute independence....never having to ask anyone for or about anything. If I want another dog, I can get one without anyone's "permission" or agreement. Same thing if I suddenly decide to shave my head bald, stop shaving my legs and throw out the deodorant.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
I found that by the time Paris is a part of our family and he and hubby got closer and closer, no convincing was necessary. Just my little comments like "oh poor Paris, all alone and no doggy friends his size to keep him company when we are off to work..."

that did it! As soon as we get our own house in FL, we are getting the second baby. Hubby said that we may go for 3 of these furballs!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts