Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,916 Posts
I'm a grandmother and have had all sizes of dogs the last 45 years. The last 2 Maltese. I think 'potty' training is all 'people' training not dog. All dogs who have lived in my house potty outside regardless of size. The sooner you are able to start the outside training the better. The puppies are raised inside with pee pads and if you continue that at home in an ex-pen it will be harder to transition to outside.

I had never heard of "pee pads" either before coming to SM. For a long time I couldn't understand people having dogs go inside. I haven't lived in a situation where a dog needed to go inside. I now realize that for some living situations that is the only choice. It works and people can have pets where they wouldn't of years ago before pee pads.

I really don't know if Shoni is completely 'trust worthy' in my house. The reason I don't is I just take him outside and say "go potty" every 2-4 hrs. I don't wait to give him a reason to have an accident. I suppose at some time I will let up on the auto-potty trips--- The thing with him is he isn't a barker. I can't get him to bark for things like "I want out of my crate, or out the door." He barks at strangers outside the window, that is all. If he wants outside he simply looks at me and figures I "know"! I guess our communication is too acute. :brownbag: My fault I haven't given him a reason to "ask" for anything I guess. :blush:

·
Registered
9 Posts
I trained Fuggles to use an indoor potty system in less than 4 days. After about 3 months, I started training him to go outdoors as well. He now knows how to use both the indoor potty as well as going outdoors.

Between the age of 3 months to 9 months, he had one accident and that's it.

·
Registered
381 Posts
QUOTE (fuggles123 @ Dec 9 2008, 01:32 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=686310
I trained Fuggles to use an indoor potty system in less than 4 days. After about 3 months, I started training him to go outdoors as well. He now knows how to use both the indoor potty as well as going outdoors.

Between the age of 3 months to 9 months, he had one accident and that's it.[/B]
you give me great hope!!!! Thats what we want to do with Bella!!! I have a ? but gotta run so I will PM you later!!!!
Blessings,
Elizabeth

Attachments

·
Registered
7,621 Posts
good luck. massimo was trained within a 2 week period. mini...she's 2 and still not completely trained. she will OCCASIONALLY hit the pad. she WILL and DOES potty outside, but then when she feels like it pees anywhere she feels like it on the carpet. and, if anyone knows me, they know i'm an excellent house trainer. so i just don't know what her friggen problem is.

i recently took in a 14 month old mixed large breed dog that was abandoned and left in a small cage outdoors 24/7. that's all he knew. never had any sort of training or anything. it took me about 3 weeks to completely house train him. hasn't had an accident once. he now knows "sit", "stay", "down" and many other commands. he was relatively easy to train....even tho he was left all alone outdoors in a small cage with no human contact.

but mini? still not.

you're guess is as good as mine.

·
Registered
152 Posts
After years of battling fleas with a poodle trained to go outside, I changed my theory about 14 years ago. I house trained to papers with my poodle. She did O.K., really pretty good. Since I lost her I bought a maltese. Only 4 months ago, I decided to pee pad train. After several months of having pads in every room, which she used I decided that I needed to get her narrowed down to one room. This is working great so far and I am working my way with her to the utility room. We have made it to one room away from the utility room. I began by treating her every time she used the pads, then I started to treat (about 3 weeks ago)her only when she used one particular pad only. I have put her treats near her pad so she is reminded that she will get one when does her business THERE. Now.....when she does her business, she sits and barks, looking at her treats, telling us that she has been a good girl. It is really fun watching her. She will literally 'call' us to the pad to let us know when she has used it. So far, no night time 'calls'. This has been working great!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Hi! Just wanted to say that the only problem I have had with house training Midis, my current 2-yr old Malt and my last one, RIP, Casper who lived to be 14 1/2 yrs old was that they do NOT like the rain! The cold weather was never a deterrent to them going out to pee or poop. But rain, or really wet, "rainish" weather would keep them from doing their business outside. I solved the problem by providing a pee pad near the back door where they go out to pee. Both used that when they couldn't seem to handle the rain. Snow wasn't a problem and neither was cold or hot temperatures, but rain....well, Maltese just do not like rain.

I have had a Toy Poodle and a Yorkie prior to my two Maltese and I can tell you that neither of them were as well house trained as my two Maltese. However, I was much younger and had a lot of small kids, baby-stuff going on at that time and couldn't really intelligently address the issue. I knew better by the time I got my first Maltese, and much, much better by the time I got Midis.

Malts are GREAT! :D

Cyndi

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm just wondering after reading many, many housetraining nightmares on SM, why you can't housetrain a Maltese like you do other small dogs?

I've housetrained 4 toy breed pups, all were approx 3 lbs when they arrived at my home (anywhere between 10 wks and 4 months). A couple were rescues, a couple were well-bred. We just walked them to the door, let them out to the dog potty area and said "go potty", praised them, rewarded with a little treat upon coming back in. We took them out every hour or so at first, after play, after sleeping, after eating, etc. We fed on schedule, took water up at 9pm or so, did crate training, etc. We did this even in winter, we live in MN (mind, we have a covered/walled potty that doesn't get rain or snow). We never used pee-pads, didn't use an x-pen or anything. I dont' work so I kept the dog with me whereever I was in the house, took it out frequently and dilegently. In some cases there was another dog or dogs in the house that was setting an example and the pup would traips along and follow them down the hall to the potty door when I would say "let's go out".

I'm just confused why it seems so challenging based on what I'm reading on SM?
I am utterly confused as to why they say Maltese are so hard to toilet train. My little one was clean at 12 weeks. I think every dog is completely different.

·
Super Moderator
10,272 Posts
I am utterly confused as to why they say Maltese are so hard to toilet train. My little one was clean at 12 weeks. I think every dog is completely different.
This thread is 12 years old.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts