Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering what made you want a Maltese? I have always been an animal lover and had cats for many years when I lived in apartments. The only dog I ever had was when I was a kid and she had to stay outside. I always thought of dogs as stinky, loud, and "drooly". When my first son left home, I wanted a small, soft, sweet, cuddly baby that did not shed, smell, drool or act "obnoxious." I was thinking there was no such creature. But there is! I was hooked and I will never have anything but Maltese. Okay, we have a cat, but he is a "pet" for my Rose & Lily:HistericalSmiley:

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i always loved white dogs as a kid , and small ones too , i originally wanted the ceasar doggie , but i started reading up and learning about the maltese and i found out that a maltese was what i always wanted , he is a sweetheart , they have a bounce to their step , their companions , follow u around , small n cute , n i just think their the cutest breed around followed by yorkies second.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I had a Bichon before I had a Maltese, and I loved the Bichon breed. After my sweet Bichon passed, and we decided to get a new dog, I wanted something with a similar sweet temperament, non-shedding, low allergen - but smaller, as we travel a lot and thought we'd take the dog with us this time, instead of getting a sitter.

We decided on the Maltese breed, and I found Spoiled Maltese forum right away. I spent hours and hours (maybe days!) reading the archives here. That information totally convinced me that the Maltese was the perfect breed for us. After having Nikki with me for 2.5 years now, I know now that I will not have any other breed. I'm hooked!!

·
Registered
587 Posts
I never had a dog as a kid, although I really wanted one. So I decided I was going to get one when I moved out and was stable.

Originally, I wanted an Old English Sheepdog.

But I developed dog allergies. :angry: I was also living in condos/apartments and that's really not enough room for one.

So I started looking at breeds that were better for allergy sufferers. And I began checking local shelters for those breeds/mixes. I went to the humane society to check out a poodle mix, but he was bigger than my condo allows. And then I saw Tiffany, who had just gone up for adoption that day, and it was love. :wub:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I wanted a smart lovey companion dog. My girlfriend's Mother had 2 Maltese- Max and Sadie and they were adorable, sweet and very smart. I wanted a snuggly pup that was gentle and easy to manage, yet fun and comical at times.

After we got our first Maltese Emma we fell in love with them HARD. My husband made the mistake after playing with Emma in bed that he could see us having 4 or 5 of these little bundles of love.

We are up to 4 now plus a niece dog ( my sister has a relative of 3 of mine)

All dogs are pets but Maltese are family.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
I had a bichon (Lacie) before the malts. Can't remember exactly why, but I've wanted a maltese for as long as I can remember.

My criteria for a dog were:

small (because our house and yard are small)
non-shedding
sweet temperment
lap dog
not a "high energy" dog

The maltese fits the bill exactly. :thumbsup:

Since I have multiple dogs now....I'm adding one more thing to my list of wants: low maintenance

Sooooo I believe my next dog may be a Long coat Chi. I am falling in love with that breed more all the time... :wub:.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
We had bulldogs and Boston Terriers as kids. Once married we had cockers,it was Al's mom's favourite dog,she always wanted one but Al's dad wouldn't get her one.
We had Cockers,German Shepherd,Dalamatian, Heinz 57s,cats and even skunks...
Our Amy,a tiny black cocker, was nearing her time and we'd been contemplating what another breed to get that wouldn't remind us of Amy. Another Cocker would remind us of her and it wouldn't be fair to it.
Al had seen Maltese on TV and thought they were beautiful (he always picks high maintenance long haired dogs...he doesn't do the grooming)...

We wanted small for traveling too. Plus they didn't remind us of Amy.

We checked out Malts and were hooked. Our first two walked right next to each other,side by side,looked like a pair of angel wings and we knew it had to be a sign...
We got the first two sisters,later a cocker in a horrible pet store that was eventually closed and 2 more Malt adoptees.
Something about those faces....:wub:
I don't know what breed will follow,we'll always love cockers,they have a sweet dispostion and Malts have their own sweetness about them too.
We'll probably be a Cocker and Malt family... which by the way,4 Malts and a cocker do make the cutest sight when walking,kinda like a Beverly Hills dog sled team....:w00t:

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I had a Bichon before I had a Maltese, and I loved the Bichon breed. After my sweet Bichon passed, and we decided to get a new dog, I wanted something with a similar sweet temperament, non-shedding, low allergen - but smaller, as we travel a lot and thought we'd take the dog with us this time, instead of getting a sitter.

We decided on the Maltese breed, and I found Spoiled Maltese forum right away. I spent hours and hours (maybe days!) reading the archives here. That information totally convinced me that the Maltese was the perfect breed for us. After having Nikki with me for 2.5 years now, I know now that I will not have any other breed. I'm hooked!!
Wow! my exact story. Only the time is different. I have only had Lola for 9 months.

·
Registered
13,404 Posts
One day I was watching As The World Turns. There was a gal named Kim on it that walked into the soap with this white long haired little dog and a bow. That was it. I had no idea what it was called. Just that I wanted one. I read up on them. Went to shows and met breeders......

·
Registered
597 Posts
I have always loved dogs. When our sons were young, we had an English Bull Terrier. He was the perfect dog for rough and tumble boys: big and strong but gentle tempered, he stank to high heaven. He lived to a ripe old age of 16.

With the boys older, it was my turn. Rocco is the little sweetie I've been waiting for. My boys may make comments about Rocco's hair, bows, baths and barettes, but they and my husband love him too. I wanted a Maltese because they are sweet and beautiful. Rocco is those things and more.

·
Premium Member
24,175 Posts
we always had cockapoo's I never thought we would have anything different, but when I babysat my granddog Divit (who is a yorkie) I fell in love with the small breed, we were at a marketplace and I saw a lady with the cutest little white dog, I had to stop her and ask what kind of dog she had etc. the dog was a maltipoo, absolutely adorable:wub: so when I got back to my rv I was on the internet, I checked out the maltipoo's and then decided to google maltese, the first picture won me over:wub: I loved the look, the topknot and the hair

·
Premium Member
5,464 Posts
My story isn't so nice but has a good ending.

I was about 15 I think and I saw Jessica Simpsons maltipoo on tv and I wanted one!
I begged my parents but thank god they kept saying no.
Over the next 3 years I did more and more research and found out about BYB's etc. and I decided I wanted a pet maltese from a reputable show breeder and thats what I got :)

·
Registered
2,331 Posts
Growing up we could only have dogs that didn't shed, so we
had poodles. I always wanted a Cocker Spaniel.
When I was stationed in Guam I adopted a Cocker mix named
Scrappy Doo, then later I added Reginald a Cocker Spaniel. It
came time for Scrappy to go to heaven and of course I had
a big void in my life. I knew I wanted a dog that didn't shed,
that's when I got Alvin my multipoo. He is very affectionate
and what a personality. I knew I wanted to add another dog
to our family and because I was head over heals with Alvin
I thought a maltese. So that's how I got my precious Chloe.
She is the sweetest little tom boy!!!

·
Registered
744 Posts
My first dog was a maltese. I got him when I was 13 from the animal shelter. I've always wanted a maltese again and started looking for one. Vi kind of landed in my lap, and the rest is history :)
I'm pretty sure I'll only ever have maltese for the rest of my life. Well, unless others need a home, I tend to find unwanted dogs and they always stay LOL That's why I have 5 dogs hahaha. All of them are rescues and all were unwanted by someone who gave up on them. Even my cats are rescues.
So I'll take whoever God sends me honestly. But if I had a choice, it would be maltese ;) I enjoy the grooming time (so does Vi) and I don't see it as a chore like some do. They are silly, funny, outgoing, and just happy to be alive. I love that about them. Vi inspires me every day to be happy (I suffer from depression). She makes me smile :)

·
Registered
268 Posts
I had a friend when I was 11 whose mother got a Malt puppy and I was in love. Then another friend got one when I was in high school and I practically lived at her house so I was around the little one a lot. Then I dated a guy in college who's mom had a springer spaniel who I loved so I was sort of torn. Years later my neighbor and I met on Yelp and he told me he had a little girl Malt. He was in the coast guard at the time and travelled a lot so he'd have my husband and I watch Amelie and we both fell in love with the breed through her sweetness, tiny cuteness and just the general good fit for our city/apartment lifestyle.

Lo and behold after begging my husband to get a doggie my mom and grandmother surprised us with Bernie and the rest is history. At some point I know my husband will want a rescue dog and that will be a nice addition but honestly my heart belongs to the Maltese.

·
Premium Member
3,646 Posts
Edgar picked me:biggrin:my husband and I went to the store for fish food and came home with a maltese puppy. He was the cutest puppy, I asked to hold him and he licked my face:wub:I was in love and so was my husband. We went home and read everything we could about Malts. We love him dearly:wub:

·
Super Moderator
10,176 Posts
I had just gotten divorced and given up two golden retrievers to my ex because I have bad allergies. I was moving into a condo and wanted something small, cuddly, and easy on the allergies. My friend had a Maltese and I fell in love!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts