Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why did you buy a Maltese? Childhood memories? The Look of the breed? Please share, even if it seems superficial. Please no one bash anyone's reason for getting a maltese.

I bought a maltese because I saw one in a book and it looked EXACTLY like a mini version of my shih-poo! I had to have one. I have always wanted a small dog I can take everywhere, a dog that would be my "child replacement" for the time being (Im only 20), and definitley a girl dog I could dress up and cuddle and play with!

I could never bring Cisco on trips with me, he was too big for the passenger part of the plane. He would have had to be put in the belly and that I just could not do to him. Cisco is like my little buddy and I love him so much. My mom "stole" him from me when I moved in with my boyfriend! She loves him so much and she is a much calmer person (he is high strung).

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I will try to be brief... :lol: :lol:

Several months back my FAVORITE cat Sandi...( :ph34r: shhh-don't tell the other three)...passed away from feline Leukemia. I was devastated.
My heart was broken. It came on fast and quick...and she went downhill so rapidly. I had to make the decision to put her to sleep. It had gotten so bad that the vet said one morning we just might wake up to her gone. I couldn't stand the thought of that with the kids, so although he said she was really not in pain...it was just a matter of days-weeks...I decided to just say goodbye.

For weeks and weeks after that I would just sit and cry. I was a mess. She had a special place in my heart and always will. She was my lap cat... and if I sat...she sat on my. If I paid bills...she walked across the top and laid down...she slept with me...laid outside the shower with me...a real momma's girl. Well, I tried to make my other three sit in my lap to ease my pain, but they had never gotten to b/c Sandi was always there...LOL...they were not having it!

My husband had been wanting a house dog for a long time, but our house is small and we have three cats and two children in it...LOL. He was raised with pugs and my grandparents also had them-but I am so allergic to them. I am miserable just in the same room.
So I started researching dogs that were better for allergy sufferers. I knew poodles were, but I am not a huge poodle fan. I knew I wanted something small-inside only-and a lap sitter. I knew I wanted a breed that was good with kids...loving and loyal. I originally started looking at the long list on the site I found, and most had no hair! Yuck!!! I originally passed over the Maltese b/c of the long hair...I knew I did not want to take care of that. I finally had settled on a malti-poo. I searched high and low for one. One night I came across a web-site that had the parents of the malti-poo pictured. The maltese parent had a puppy cut. It was like a light-bulb went on! Duh-Traci...you can cut that long white hair!!
So, I continued to research...visited MO...learning about the breed...many other websites with info-and finally decided that was exactly what I wanted.

Many phone calls and websearches later...I found a wonderful breeder who would have a puppy ready around the same time we were leaving my parents after our vacation. She was a few hours from their house. We emailed pictures back and forth and asked each other hundreds of questions. I finally sent her a deposit on my little fluff-butt and the rest is history....he he.

Whew!!! Told you I would be brief.... :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by tlunn@Aug 20 2004, 07:48 PM
Duh-Traci...you can cut that long white hair!!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7276
[/QUOTE]

LOL! OMYGAW! That is a great story! I understand what you say about the lap cat! Mariah (pictured in my avatar) is just like that! she loves to lay in my lap and stretch or sit on whatever Im working on... and now Brit comes along! Two butts on my lap! (actually one in my lap and one on my shoulder, Brit loves acting like a ferrett!)

Its a wonderful thing that you got that back! Im so happy for you!

·
Registered
400 Posts
I knew I wanted a small lap dog. I first decided on a Yorkie. I've always thought they looked so cute! One day I was talking to an ex-groomer/puppy sitter and she suggested a Maltese. I had never even seen one before!
So, I started researching Maltese and fell in love! It turned out that they were the exact breed I wanted- didn't shed, were small, they are friendly and everything else!

J

·
0 Posts
Lacey is my child. Both of my children are now adults and off on their own. I was lonely, after being a mom for 20 years, it was hard not to have someone to give all that love and attention to. So I now have another child I can love and give hugh amounts of attention to. Plus this child doesn't talk back, stay out past curfew, not do homework, stay up way to late,...

Jami

·
Registered
205 Posts
I grew up w/my grandparents toy poodle & adored him to pieces; so I thought for sure I will get one too one day! Finally (I do mean it! I waited almost my whole life~20 yrs.) the time was right so I started looking for breeders and researching. I also wanted a yorkie very much too! When I saw what yorkies were going for ($1000. and up in and around my area) it was much more than I wanted to pay. So I decided toy poodle. I really do like toy poodles but (heres my superficial reason#1;) they're a little too big/tall than I wanted; I wanted smaller but not a teacup. I ended going to the breeders house w/ my friend who was getting a poodle and even though I fell in love w/ them at the house I knew it was because they were cute puppies. Something inside me knew it wasn't the breed meant for me. I did more research on toy dogs good for people w/allergies (i'm still allergic even though they don't shed; its proteins in the saliva :eek: ) the maltese kept coming up and the more I read about them and saw pictures, I fell in love! I knew this was the breed for me!! Everything about them, their size, the black eyes & nose against the white, the happy look they have when they have their tongue hanging out, their characteristics, and superficial reason #2, I can dress them up!! Even though I thought I couldn't and wouldn't spend the money on a yorkie, I would for a maltese!! I have this lg. figurine i've had since I was little of a white dog that I always loved and can't part w/... its a maltese; maybe it was a sign all this time!!

(Sorry for some of the senseless rambling! :lol: I'm a bad at "keepng it short"! )

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by puppy*luv@Aug 21 2004, 11:12 PM
I did more research on toy dogs good for people w/allergies (i'm still allergic even though they don't shed;  its proteins in the saliva :eek: ) the maltese kept coming up and the more I read about them and saw pictures, I fell in love! <div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=7349
[/QUOTE]

I am allergic to other dogs too...also to the saliva..but also the dander. But Brinkley doesn't bother me at all...saliva either. Wonder why that is?

Are you saying your malt still bothers your allergies? The saliva does still?
I am SO glad that Brinkley doesn't with me b/c my other dogs outside can make me SO miserable. Especially around bathtime. ugh!

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have wanted a Maltese since I was in high school. One of my close friends had one and back then they were quite rare, at least where I grew up. I hadn't never seen a more beautiful animal. Now my parents weren't going to get me one, neither cared for animals in the house at all.

My husband had Dachshunds when he was younger and after our kids were born we thought they should experience a family pet, our first dog was a boarder collie... after we lost her I really didn't want another dog as her loss was hard on the family. After a few years the kids and my husband kept bugging me to have a dog and I said since I will be the one to care for it I get to choose what I want and told them I wanted a Maltese. My husband thought it would be to "foo-foo" but once he saw the puppies it was love at first site.

I can't imagine having another breed and I know for sure we will be getting more Maltese at some time :D :D :D :D . Now my husband talks about after the kids move on we can get our RV, a few more puppies and live happy every after

Judi

·
Registered
14 Posts
I had a beautiful, wonderful Sheltie for over 10 years. A couple of years ago we found out my stepmother had cancer. She died within 6 months. During that time my Sheltie was also dying. I never thought I wanted another dog, but since they died about the same time I was grieving for both. One moment it was for a parent, and the next for my dog. My children were grown and gone, and suddenly the house was just too quiet for me. When my husband was out of town I hated it. I did seriously think of another Sheltie as they are wonderful too, but I was tired of vacumning the hair all the time. They shed like crazy. To help with the grief my husband finally said yes but we decided we wanted a smaller dog. Our Sheltie was a large one at 55 pounds with 20 pound parents. We were looking at Bichons, but when my husband says now.. he means it. We found a Maltese and knew they were like Bichons but smaller. One look at Jasmine and seeing her mom we knew we wanted her. She was such a happy puppy and we always checking everything out.... that included our shoe laces. She is our little love and is about 20 months now.

The breeder did think she would be about 4 1/2 to 5 pounds like her mom, but she has topped at 3.4 pounds and we love every bit of her little body! We loved her so much we ended up finding another Maltese. Chester was a big as she is at 12 weeks. He is a real beauty, and we are having fun with all the love in our house. Three months ago we added a kitten. He is now about seven months old and they all love one another so much. Chester is about 6 1/2 pounds.

Joanne
Jasmine, Chester, and Kitty Buddy!

·
Registered
205 Posts
tlunn~ I don't get my baby until this wednesday! But I reacted to my friends toy poodles. he was puppy biting me and my skin got read and itchy and also my nose and eyes bothered me slightly.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
:D I knew I wanted a little dog because I'm actually pretty scared of big dogs and we live in an apartment so a little dog fits best. I researched forever trying to decide on a breed. I also did tons of those little online tests that determine which breeds would fit best and for the most part Maltese kept coming up. I had already decided against poodles, bichons and chihuahuas because I don't like they way they look (superficial :lol: ) and I was pretty much down to shih tzus, yorkies and maltese. When I found out that there were local breeders of Maltese that kinda made my mind up because I wouldn't have to travel very far for one and they had some available, so viola, I got myself a Maltese. I love him to pieces and I just think they are the best breed.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
For as long as I can remember I have wanted a Maltese, but I never thought I would actually get one. I think I first saw one in an old movie (Cleopatra type?). Last February I moved into my first apartment and quickly decided I wanted to get a puppy. I went into research overdrive and spent most of my free time on the internet trying to decide what type of puppy. I probably did a couple of months of research in a month. I became a little obsessed with getting as much information as possible and finding the right breeder. I decided that if I was going to get a puppy I wanted a Maltese.

At the I thought I was still allergic to dogs (last tested 7 years ago). I went to the doctor, got retest, and found out that I was no longer allergic to dogs.

I lucked out and found a good breeder a little over an hour away.

·
Registered
831 Posts
When I started looking for a dog. I knew I wanted a small dog b/c when I was growing up we had little dogs and one of them look alot like a Maltese except honey like color(never new what mix breed they were) . some how I found a picture of a maltepoo on the internet and read about the Maltese and fell in love with the puppy picture I saw. then I read what the Maltese was all about and I new I would be a perfect candidate for one or two.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Well after my last dog who we had some very seriouse behavior issuse and he ended up hurting a kid i researched every dog breed under 60lbs i could put bows in its hair lol i ended up with the keeshond, maltese, pomaranian, chinese crested, toy poodle and yorkie. So i looked a lot into those breeds and ended up just being down to the maltese and chinese crested, i still kinda do want a chinese crested but everyone thought a hairless dog was really ugly which i dont totaly dissagree but i do think they are cool, but yeah i didnt want everyone making fun of my hairless dog so i researched more on the maltese and i thought they had everything i wanted although i still and a little but unsure about keeping the white hair looking clean enough but oh well chinese cresteds get acne which i really didnt want to deal with

1 - 20 of 51 Posts