Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
382 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question #1. Why did you choose a maltese?
The main reason I became intrested in them was because of thier beauty. The fact that they have no doggy odor and don't shed. Also because everything I read said that the are sweet natured and I wanted a toy dog.
Question #2. Would you recommend the breed to others?
I would strongly caution others about the intense hair care and grooming that they require.

·
Registered
939 Posts
I have wanted a maltese most of my adult life. A good friend had one when I was in high school (many, many years ago
) and I thoguht she was great.

I have owned two other mixed breed dogs that I rescued from from shelters, I loved them both but the health problems were difficult to deal with.

My family wanted another dog after we lost our last one and I said "I'm the one who ends up caring for these guys, I'll only give in if we get a maltese from a breeder.

I agree with all of the reasons you give for choosing this little guy.

I totaly agree with recommending maltes to others with a caution about grooming but would add that these are small rather delicate dogs and would not recommend on to someone with very young or "rough" children.

Tiki's Mom

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
i knew someone once that had a Maltese, I fell in love with them, their looks, fearlessness(is that a word) and nature, everyone that knows us loves our dogs, I'm 6'2" and most everyone would expect me to have a bigger dog but I wouldnt have it any other way :D my wife is 5'1" and she wants a bigger dog too, go figure

·
Registered
346 Posts
I actually knew no one, knew nothing about them. My son, who is my "baby" was turning 18, had been talking to my husband about I needed a new "baby" but one that didn't talk back, if you catch my understanding. My other dog is getting older and thought a puppy would help keep him younger for a while. I accidentally came across him in the pet store and knowing he was an "older dog" (he was 4 months old), I held him, we clicked and I couldn't stand the thought of him being in that cage for another day, so I got him out of there. Did some FAST learning, and have not regretted once ever deciding on him. He is my little love of my life. I enjoy every painstaking minute of grooming and all the rest that goes along with him.
I guess I am lucky too because from what I have read, they don't recommend them in a house with larger dogs because of how rough they can be. I have found it to be the opposite lol Poor Buddy gets his ears yanked on, (they are long and floppy), and his legs bit all the time when Morgan wants to play..he comes running to use crying! lol But when he does decide to play with Morgan, he is VERY gentle almost like he knows to be careful with him. Nature.......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, I also didn't know much about the breed. I just knew that I wanted something small & that didn't require much exercise (like labradors). My cousin had a maltese and I thought he was an adorable puppy but didn't really like him when he got older. Then my sister got one & she was real sweet & playful. Cute too. I still didn't consider getting a puppy. Then one of our neighbors got a puppy that she said was a maltese. It was playful & very energetic. So I decided that I wanted one too. When I got her she was the total opposite of that dog. She was calm & didn't jump on people when they came over. She was a bit shy or just scared. Well, she started opening up & is a ball of energy when I play with her but not close to what the other dog is. So- I come to find out that the vet told our neighbor that her dog isn't a maltese.. it's a bichon frise (MS?). She still calls it a maltese though .. haha.. I think it's a mix between a maltese & a bichon. Either way.. sorry to make it a long story.. but that's why we got her. I wanted what my neighbor ( cousin, sister & mom) had.. haha

1 - 5 of 5 Posts