Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why do they bury things? What is their thinking? Are they saving it for later, like squirrels? Or are they protecting it from others? Are they getting rid of it b/c they don't like it?

Brinkley has started doing this lately with some toys, but mostly with his greenie bones. I find them EVERYWHERE! They are in my laundry baskets, in the kid's dresser drawers, in the pile of stuffed animals, in my purse, in my school bag...
It really makes me laugh...but it makes me curious too...he is SO funny about it....for example...

Last night I was sitting watching American Idol and he keeps walking around with a greenie hanging out of his mouth...from room to room to room...he kept looking around...it was so funny! He did this for over 10 minutes...I finally decided that he was looking for somewhere to bury it...so I went and got the afghan off the stool. I put it in my lap and crumpled up the bottom...he immedietely went to digging and burying the greenie in the blanket. He worked on this for quite awhile...
After awhile, he got tired, and decided to lay down and eat it.
I was proud of myself for reading his signs and seeing that he was looking for somewhere to bury it!
But I still wonder what the purpose is...

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi does this all the time. It is so funny to watch. If she can't find the "perfect" spot she starts to whine. If is hilarious to watch. Sometime the "perfect" spot is in plain sight (up against the floor board or in front of the sliding door).

·
Registered
199 Posts
He sounds just like Bella! One day I was cooking and I heard her making little noises and she was grunting while walking around with her greenie looking for a good place to bury it. I also have to shake my laundry b/c the little stinker figured out how to get into the dirty clothes basket and bury her bones. Every once in a while I find them all and give them to her again for her burying pleasure! Sometimes she will go get one and eat it so maybe she is saving them for later.

Nicolle

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
yeah....i read somewhere that they do it to save it for later. ellie will hide her ping pong ball. but i dont think either of them have tried to ever hide their food. but that is ADORABLE!!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Jan 19 2005, 05:00 PM
Lexi does this all the time.  It is so funny to watch.  If she can't find the "perfect" spot she starts to whine.  If is hilarious to watch.  Sometime the "perfect" spot is in plain sight  (up against the floor board or in front of the sliding door).
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30399
[/QUOTE]

Cute!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sylphide buries her pigs ears. She has some kind of special relationship with these--doesn't treat any of her toys or treats in the same way. She tries to bury under pillows, on the couch, and on the bed. When she can't find the right spot, she drops it on me so that "mommy" can take good care of it for her.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I thought about this last night...I had on a big t-shirt and pj pants and I was sitting on the floor before bed. Bella brings a greenie over and burried it in my t-shirt! Silly! I felt really bad when I had to get up b/c she put so much effort in getting it just right and so much "nose pushing" with her bone

I also give her bones at bedtime to get her to quiet down and she always wants to bury it right in my spot on the bed! I always feel bad but you would think she would learn that I will move it!

Nicolle

1 - 10 of 10 Posts