Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schuster has all of a sudden developed the most serious case of foul breath that I've ever seen and it wasn't until yesterday that I found out why. (I guess this is why).

I don't get to take Schuster out during the day on Thurs and Fri because I am always at work, and my wife does it.

Well, yesterday when I came in from work, it was time for Schuster to go outside. So I took him out, and as he was relieving himself, he started to lick himself as he was urinating. He got an immediate bath after that and teeth brushing.

I discussed this with my wife and she said that she'd caught him doing it too in the past- first time she'd noticed him doing that was Monday night and that is when I noticed his overly foul smelling breath. GROSS. I remember it was Monday night because I'd came in from school that night.

Any ideas on how to pursaude him NOT to do this, or is there anything different that I need to do or chang... such as feeding, any ideas at all will be greatly appreciated.

Right now, all i've done is calmly (and quitely so as not to disturb the neighbors especially late at night) is say "no, don't do that" and then praise him as he continues to relieve himself (only after he's stopped this nasty behavior).

He'll be two next month, and I don't ever remember him doing this. I know that it is not because of a lack of fluids, because I leave him and Grace a bowl of fresh water out at all times, and change it 3 times a day and fill it as needed. I have a feeding pattern of 2 small bowls (1 early morning and afternoon) and then a large bowl around 5-6pm (even though it's not always completely consumed), and treats during our training & obedience sessions.

All input will be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Cloud doesn't lick in MID pee, but he likes to lick his urine afterwards. That's one reason why I hate the potty pads. He licks the urine! YUCKI. I don't know why though.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by ButterCloudandNoriko@Jan 23 2005, 12:13 PM
Cloud doesn't lick in MID pee, but he likes to lick his urine afterwards.  That's one reason why I hate the potty pads.  He licks the urine!  YUCKI.  I don't know why though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30906
[/QUOTE]

EEEWWW! Brink has never done that to my knowledge...(licked the wee pads)...gross! He has never licked mid-tinkle either...but like most dogs, he does lick "himself" sometimes...not so much now that he has been neutered though.

Anywell, tell Cloud and Schuster that is GROSS!!
Ha ha...

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I'm not sure the urine licking is the cause of his breath odor. Check his teeth and his ears. Both can have terrible odor causing infections. Trust me on this, Pico has had both and they stink!

He went on antibiotics for periodontitis and a special ointment for the ears. These were separate incidents but I am much more alert now.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
Originally posted by tlunn@Jan 23 2005, 01:59 PM
Anywell, tell Cloud and Schuster that is GROSS!!
Ha ha...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=30944
[/QUOTE]

HAHA Believe me! I tell him everytime he does it that it's gross. I give him that
look ALL THE TIME! lol

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
I must have the prissiest dog ever! Kodie tries to cover his pee on the pad by flipping the part of the pad that has the pee on it over and if he poos he hides! He will not go near his poo at all! He also runs as soon as hes done peeing to get away from the pee!
Hes sooo prissy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts