Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am just so curious. Leo has two habits that I just can't figure out.

1) After I freshly bathe both of them (Mia and Leo), Leo is heck bent on being all over her. Not in a fresh way, but places himself on top of her, on her side, chases her all around the house, this goes on for a good 1/2 hr, but I defintely intervene when necessary. Mia is not phased too much, but will try and go to a different bed, till the little guy gets himself together. Is he trying to put back his scent on her? Neither are really dominant over the other, they are pretty even, with their own unique personalities.

2) This I really don't understand. It take Mia and Leo in the backyard, Mia just prances happily around. Leo is delighted to be outside :chili::chili:, but before you know it, there he goes and rolls on the ground. Why?????? Is he trying to leave his scent there as well? I tried to watch closely if it was where Mia had tinkled, but doesn't seem to be the case. I bring both of them in, Mia looks just as clean as when we went out, and Leo needs a full cleaning.

Any insight would be most appreciate. Just dying to know what this behaviour means.

Thanks so much.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Matilda always has to mark her scent on everything of B&B's especially her bed:w00t:, she actually pulls the pad out and then has to roll over the inside of the bed as well as the pad.:blink:
B&B is like your Leo I get her bathed and the first thing she does is go outside and rubs her face all over the cement patio:angry: so frustrating

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
I think Leo just wants to smell like a dog, he wants Mia to smell like a dog, and he wants all of his belongings (that would include his yard and his sister) to smell like a dog, too. On bath day here, dogs get bathed, floors get washed and freshly washed dog beds get put down. The last thing to happen is Grace getting a bath because as soon as she is done she turns into a rolling tornado ... rolls on the floor, the beds, the grass, the deck, and the other dogs. So if it's a boy thing then Grace is what I've always thought she was ... the biggest tomboy I know!

·
Premium Member
5,785 Posts
I think Leo just wants to have fun! Annie does the rolling in the grass thing, too. When we go on a walk, Annie stops in front of every house and rolls around in their grass. She doesn't sniff first to find a good spot - she just stops, drops and rolls and we're off to the next house. This is fun because Sophie was a sled dog in a former life and just wants to go, go, go - I once tried walking them using a coupler and it wasn't pretty. lol

·
Premium Member
3,665 Posts
You know I think there's something to that first one, but I don't know what it might be. I often see the same thing with Perri and my parent's Bichon after baths. Perri will be all over Andre if he's over there when Andre gets back from the groomer, and Andre will try to do the same to Perri after his bath, whether Perri has been to the groomer afterwards or not. And Perri is the bossy one yet Andre does it too.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you all so much. I really appreciate all of your input. What Mary H said really makes sense, He just wants her to smell like a doggy.

The rolling on the ground part, he sniffs and sniffs, then romps, then stops and sniffs some more, and roll he goes. Here he is just rolling away,and then me scooping him up. He never did it as a pup, only recently, he does look like he is having fun, what ick I don't know what he is rolling in. I look at don't see anything, but he sure found something after all that sniffing with his little nose.

Thank you all again for your input,

View attachment 88372

View attachment 88373

1 - 7 of 7 Posts