Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me first say, the Mia is a sweet girl and is good to her brother and does love him, and they do get along well, just like brother and sister..siblings however.......

Whenever it's chewy time, I or my hubby, get two chewies, I make them both sit, then they each get a chewy. Miss Mia will do one of two things, fly off with hers storing it away in another room, then she very :innocent: lays next to Leo, without her chewy, while he is having a grand old time with his :chili:, Next thing I know, something distracts the little guy, he stops chewing and Mia swoops in and takes his :(. Normally, he will just come running to me, like Mom, she did it again :(. So, I go find where Miss Mia hid hers, I get Leo's and I start again, make them sit, and then off they go, both happy with their individual chewies. There is no sqabling about it. Sometimes Leo realizes she is laying next to him, and does let a little growl out while he is chewing away, but then he forgets, and poof next thing I know Mia happily has his chewy :( He always has a complete look of shock on his face, bless his heart, and yet she does it almost everytime.

Or she will be done with her chewy, comes once again and lays next to Leo, like a little :innocent:, he gets distracted, she swoops in and takes his chewy...Leo will just look at her like :unsure: and then if I don't intercede, he will just sit there and watch her enjoy his chewy :(.

Again, there is no squabling, and I am able to take chewies off of both of them with no problem. IF Leo realizes what she is doing, he will growl a little, not at her, but over his bone, but mostly, he is normally in his happy little world, chewing away, and before you know it, Mia has his chewy.

Once I intervene, and correct, then she just stick to her own chewy.

But I really like to know why she does this :(, I feel bad for the little guy when she does. Aside from that, she is really good to him and he to her, they play nice and all, just this one thing I just can't figure out why?

Is she just toying with her little brother? Neither really display any noteworthy behavior over the other as far as dominance. They are pretty much even.

Any ideas? Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
20,031 Posts
OMG, Christine, I believe Mia and Abbey could be sisters!!! She does the same thing. Even with her dinner. She ALWAYS thinks someone else has something better. She doesn't eat until she has a look (and gets hollered at) at each bowl. They all get the identical dinner every single night! And then most nights she ends up not eating anyway. (she a "treat" kind of girl)

She'll run off with her treat, gobble it up, then come back to see who's she can steal. I often hear poor little Tinker's growl as he tries to keep her away......but I must say he savors every bite and even likes to lay next to his treat for a bit....sniff it...lick it....taste it...lay with it :blink: I keep telling him you can't do that with Abbey around!!!!! :smilie_tischkante:

If I don't get them their treats promptly each morning, Abbey is relentless. She'll stand in front of the pantry door and scratch on it...and she won't stop until the treats are dolled out. God help me on the day when I run out :w00t:. Even the local pet food store knows they MUST keep them in stock regularly!!!! She loves the apples wrapped in chicken, the sweet potato and the bannanas are fine too.

It's something in their personality, I guess. Our two girls are treat mongers disguised as sweet little girls. :innocent:

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OMG, Christine, I believe Mia and Abbey could be sisters!!! She does the same thing. Even with her dinner. She ALWAYS thinks someone else has something better. She doesn't eat until she has a look (and gets hollered at) at each bowl. They all get the identical dinner every single night! And then most nights she ends up not eating anyway. (she a "treat" kind of girl)

She'll run off with her treat, gobble it up, then come back to see who's she can steal. I often hear poor little Tinker's growl as he tries to keep her away......but I must say he savors every bite and even likes to lay next to his treat for a bit....sniff it...lick it....taste it...lay with it :blink: I keep telling him you can't do that with Abbey around!!!!! :smilie_tischkante:

If I don't get them their treats promptly each morning, Abbey is relentless. She'll stand in front of the pantry door and scratch on it...and she won't stop until the treats are dolled out. God help me on the day when I run out :w00t:. Even the local pet food store knows they MUST keep them in stock regularly!!!! She loves the apples wrapped in chicken, the sweet potato and the bannanas are fine too.

It's something in their personality, I guess. Our two girls are treat mongers disguised as sweet little girls. :innocent:
Holllly heaven Pat LMBO....That's Mia tooooo. I do not need a clock with her, when it is meal time, she places herself smack dab in the kitchen, right under the counter where I fix the food, if I don't see her doing that, then she will start, just like Abbey, and start pawing at the pantry door. Usually, I spot her planting herself in the "feed me" spot LOL and then I say, Oh Mia, thanks I'm sorry, didn't realize it was that time :blush: Leo? He's off counting daffodils somewhere has no concept of time. I start preparing the food, Miss Mia anxiously waits, Leo comes running in, put the food down, Leo beings his meal and thorughly enjoys it, Mia? She'll eat a little, and then just grazes, and all that, "feed me NOW was about?" LOL

Mia says Abbey, keep up the good work :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
4,785 Posts
:HistericalSmiley:Christine, this just made me laugh! I don't know why they do some of the things they do but you can just see the little sweeties plotting and planning....:innocent:.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
:HistericalSmiley:Christine, this just made me laugh! I don't know why they do some of the things they do but you can just see the little sweeties plotting and planning....:innocent:.
Marsha, I know too funny, little stinkers :wub: Mia, even has me fooled sometimes, I think awwww she's just laying there :innocent:, she's not going to take his chewy, she's just relaxing...and poof in a millisecond this is Leo's little face :unsure:

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
"Resource guarding" is growling over a possession or coveting a possession, food, etc.

There are several good articles on line about how to manage it and several good dog training books that cover it.

Some dogs do this and some dogs don't. I think the ones that do it, do it because they can. Its control over the food, item,etc, and it makes them feel power. It can escalate, so just be aware. My sister had a Yorkie who would grab and run and not give the item up........he would growl and show his teeth and eventually he bit the person trying to take his treasure.

Since I have 4 dogs I try to feed them separately..........even if its in a separate corner. Treats similarly, no stealing allowed,and they must learn to "give it up" on my command.
I think most of the time we have it under control, esp with toys, although when they find hoof trimmings in the yard you would swear they have "treasures" and they all steal from each other.
Luckily their are usually enough to go around.

Once in a while my alpha dog (Twinkle ,the 7 month old tiny 2.4lb pup) will get into a tiff with Jilli ( the most passive dog I own- and the newest to the posse) I believe Twinkle does this "because she can". I separate them, Twinkle gets a "time out" and the offending toy gets put away. Since Jilli is very shy by nature she doesn't need to be bullied by the "brat". Twinkle has decided she is "mine" and she will even block the others from me, I then invite all of them for petting, and reinforce that Twinkle has to share "me".

My advice is monitor the behavior, intervene when appropriate and try to prevent escalation.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Normal. If you don't like it then don't let her go lay next to him. But its pretty normal for one dog to want the goody another dog has (even if they have their own).
Thanks Jackie, relieved to know it's normal. And that's a great idea, prevent her from getting close enough to him to take his. Thank you.

"Resource guarding" is growling over a possession or coveting a possession, food, etc.

There are several good articles on line about how to manage it and several good dog training books that cover it.

Some dogs do this and some dogs don't. I think the ones that do it, do it because they can. Its control over the food, item,etc, and it makes them feel power. It can escalate, so just be aware. My sister had a Yorkie who would grab and run and not give the item up........he would growl and show his teeth and eventually he bit the person trying to take his treasure.

Since I have 4 dogs I try to feed them separately..........even if its in a separate corner. Treats similarly, no stealing allowed,and they must learn to "give it up" on my command.
I think most of the time we have it under control, esp with toys, although when they find hoof trimmings in the yard you would swear they have "treasures" and they all steal from each other.
Luckily their are usually enough to go around.

Once in a while my alpha dog (Twinkle ,the 7 month old tiny 2.4lb pup) will get into a tiff with Jilli ( the most passive dog I own- and the newest to the posse) I believe Twinkle does this "because she can". I separate them, Twinkle gets a "time out" and the offending toy gets put away. Since Jilli is very shy by nature she doesn't need to be bullied by the "brat". Twinkle has decided she is "mine" and she will even block the others from me, I then invite all of them for petting, and reinforce that Twinkle has to share "me".

My advice is monitor the behavior, intervene when appropriate and try to prevent escalation.
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. Maybe that is why Mia is doing it, because she can, but I do intervene, and do give her the "leave" command and she does, but then I was starting over again, and giving each their own again.

My Leo did just what your Twinkle did. He wanted my lap all to himself. This was at least 6 months ago. He didn't want to share with Mia. I put him down, told him "no" and he got it in seconds it seemed. Now I have no problem with having both of my lap. I was surprized he picked it up the first time. It was only a couple of minutes and I brought him back up on my lap with Mia, and haven't had a problem since.

I will keep a close eye on it just like you said, and even try and prevent it like Jackie had reccommended as well.

They share everything else, toys, no problems with treats, beds, she just like to take his chewies. But also glad to know it's normal but still will keep an eye out and even try and prevent it.

Thank you all very much :)

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
That's really cute! Whenever I give Jack & Jill greenies, Jill will not touch hers at all. Once Jack starts gnawing on his and softens it up a bit, I have to take it from him and give it to Jill. That's the only way she'll eat it! Yes, she's a little Princess! :smrofl:

Don't worry about Jack - he gets her brand new greenie, so in essence, he gets more than her. Hey, isn't that what brothers are supposed to do for their sisters? :whistle:

·
Premium Member
3,223 Posts
Cloud and Clancy used to trade chewies. I always got a kick out of it. I wonder, what would happen if instead of going and getting hers for her, you instead showed little Leo that she is hiding them somewhere so that he knows when she steals his that he can go off and look for hers. ;)

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
My girls "trade" chewys too. They always run around taking each others before they settle down with one. Its so funny to watch. Sometimes Tess will get all three and the other two just watch her chew on one with the other two laying next to her. When this happens I have to get the extras and make sure everyone has one.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
That's really cute! Whenever I give Jack & Jill greenies, Jill will not touch hers at all. Once Jack starts gnawing on his and softens it up a bit, I have to take it from him and give it to Jill. That's the only way she'll eat it! Yes, she's a little Princess! :smrofl:

Don't worry about Jack - he gets her brand new greenie, so in essence, he gets more than her. Hey, isn't that what brothers are supposed to do for their sisters? :whistle:
Ours like to steal the other ones chewies once they've been softened up a bit... I think the pre-softened chewy is the perferred chewy... :eek: I notice that mainly Daisy does this (steals the other guys) and wondered if it is something to do with one dog acting like the alpha. Also if they're eating, her sister will wait to make sure Daisy is happy before digging into a bowl (since Daisy will often start with one and then switch)

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Cloud and Clancy used to trade chewies. I always got a kick out of it. I wonder, what would happen if instead of going and getting hers for her, you instead showed little Leo that she is hiding them somewhere so that he knows when she steals his that he can go off and look for hers. ;)

I love that too!!!! That's a great idea in case I don't catch her at first, she's a quick one. Then Leo and I can go on the where did Mia put hers game :) and give hers to Leo.

Don't ask me why I didn't think of all these wonderful things :blush: Thank you everyone. I just get so speachless at watching them :blink:, but last night really got me, when we were all laying on the couch. Mia was resting on my stomach (or so I thought B)) Leo was by my side happily chewing his chewie, and before I knew it Mia had it and Leo was just :unsure:. I thought that's it Missy, I'm telling your Aunts, they'll know what to do :)
Glad my home isn't the only one having this sort of fun :).

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ours like to steal the other ones chewies once they've been softened up a bit... I think the pre-softened chewy is the perferred chewy... :eek: I notice that mainly Daisy does this (steals the other guys) and wondered if it is something to do with one dog acting like the alpha. Also if they're eating, her sister will wait to make sure Daisy is happy before digging into a bowl (since Daisy will often start with one and then switch)

There is something to that as well, the pre-soften chewy :)

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
My girls "trade" chewys too. They always run around taking each others before they settle down with one. Its so funny to watch. Sometimes Tess will get all three and the other two just watch her chew on one with the other two laying next to her. When this happens I have to get the extras and make sure everyone has one.

Awww that must be adorable to watch. Sounds like my house, just minus one fluff :)

·
Premium Member
6,469 Posts
Can you guys please send someone's malt to my home to soften chewies for Mr. Hunter who is no longer enjoying his after having all his teeth removed.

·
Registered
7,915 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can you guys please send someone's malt to my home to soften chewies for Mr. Hunter who is no longer enjoying his after having all his teeth removed.

Awwwwwww bless his heart :wub: I have a better idea :) You can just send Hunter to me, and both he and Leo can watch Mia chew her chewies:)

·
Registered
707 Posts
We have the same problem here. Both Bianca and Bitsy will chew on their individual chews. Bitsy is a little deceiving though. She waits for Bianca to get hers nice and moist and then waits for her to get distracted. Bitsy's check on the other hand will be dry and hard. She lets Bianca do the work for her. Poor Biance will stand in front of Bitsy and bark at her but Bitsy is **** bent on chewing at that point and you can hear her growl from across the room. She growls and chews at the same time and you can actually see her body stiffen to get ready in case Bianca tries to take it back. Bless her heart, Bianca barks but never makes a move to take it. She really treats Bitsy like a baby sister and lets her have her way.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I know that the whole guarding thing is a big no no but this is the cutest story i have read in a while. AWWWW i just LOVE malts and their cute lil personalities! im sure mia and leo are a hoot to live with. i cant keep giggling at your smilies because i can totally imagine the faces on malts... :wub:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts