Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Please help me out. I have several questions about my sweet Lizzie.

1. I find that after she pee's, the inside of her back legs are soaked with urine!! I have trimmed back there and everything, to no avail. She pee's by practically laying on her belly with her back feet stretched out, the little weirdo. What else can I do to keep her clean?

2. Although she just about has pee'ing outside down pat, she continues to poop in the house. Sometimes she will even save it up when she's outside just to do it in the house! How can I break her of this?

3. How long will she be teething?

4. She has recently become quite defiant in that when we call her, she does not come and when we walk over to get her, she runs away from us -- like it's a game or something. How can I break her of this? It's really quite annoying, and she probably knows it. :lol:

Thanks!!

(She's 6 months old.)

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I don't know about the pee problem, but it sounds like at 6 months, she's just testing you guys. Lizzie just wants to see what she can get away with. Just ignore any behavior you don't like. It is just a puppy thing, but stay strong! If she finds ways to annoy, she will! Be consistant with training and when she doesn't listen, try to take her to another room with no distractions and practice some simple commands that she knows. That is sort of a way to re-establish that you are the boss, not Lizzie. Peanut just got his puppy teeth pulled, he's 13 months, so I'm not sure what the 'normal' teething time is. Good luck!!

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Urine stains are a problem in white dogs. Lady usually cocks one leg slightly so it's just her left leg that is yellow.

Proline waterless shampoo is excellent for removing urine stains. I have some in a little spray bottle and use it everyday.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's not the urine stains that are the problem -- it's the soaking wet legs/smell that are.

Great advice, Peanut. I asked my vet when I should get her spayed and she said to wait at least until 8 months so her permanent teeth can come in enough and they can pull the baby teeth. Wonder why they don't fall out on their own with this breed?

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Mar 2 2005, 12:54 PM
It's not the urine stains that are the problem -- it's the soaking wet legs/smell that are.

Great advice, Peanut. I asked my vet when I should get her spayed and she said to wait at least until 8 months so her permanent teeth can come in enough and they can pull the baby teeth. Wonder why they don't fall out on their own with this breed?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39272
[/QUOTE]
I had no experience with small breeds before Peanut, and through my own research, I think it's because their mouths are so small. One of the canines that they pulled was HUGE!!! I couldn't believe it came from my little pup. Like the eye stain problem some malts have, it's sometimes just that their snouts/heads are so small and the tear ducts can be smushed (not a very technical explanation
, but it's pretty much what happened to Peanut, the other pups from his litter have no staining at all).

I don't know anything about female dogs, but through this site all I know is that you want to have Lizzie spayed before her first heat. It is a very good idea to do the spay and teeth at the same time though. I didn't know about the puppy teeth problem until after I had Peanut neutered, and I hated the fact that he had to be knocked out twice.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Mar 2 2005, 12:57 PM
Please help me out. I have several questions about my sweet Lizzie. 

1.  I find that after she pee's, the inside of her back legs are soaked with urine!! I have trimmed back there and everything, to no avail. She pee's by practically laying on her belly with her back feet stretched out, the little weirdo. What else can I do to keep her clean?

Regarding the Pee stains, I'm also going to order  Proline waterless shampoo. chelsey has not done this in a while but I can 't get the pee stains out from before.  It is lighting up, but i want it gone, just does not look right to me

LadysMom  Posted Today, 01:13 PM
  Urine stains are a problem in white dogs. Lady usually cocks one leg slightly so it's just her left leg that is yellow.
Proline waterless shampoo is excellent for removing urine stains. I have some in a little spray bottle and use it everyday.
2. Although she just about has pee'ing outside down pat, she continues to poop in the house. Sometimes she will even save it up when she's outside just to do it in the house! How can I break her of this?

With the pooing ... Chelsey would only poo in her crate not even on the wee ,wee pad or out side. She has gotten really good over the past two weeks with help from friend here at this site

Here is the link with some really good information:
http://spoiledmaltese.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2329
I found changing her eating time and keeping her leashed with me really helped.

3. How long will she be teething?
Chelsey just lost her last tooth in the front , not sure about the back ones. But i think she is done. Her tear staining has been getting better so I hope it all over now.

4. She has recently become quite defiant in that when we call her, she does not come and when we walk over to get her, she runs away from us -- like it's a game or something. How can I break her of this? It's really quite annoying, and she probably knows it. :lol:

Thanks!!

Oh my gosh she sound just like chelsey. We can't get her to come back in side she runs away also... We use chester to go get her. She is getting better thou.
What we also do is hold a treat in our hands and wave it.. That get her inside. If not
I will just close the door and move away from the window so she can't see me. Then she starts scratching i let her in.

(She's 6 months old.)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39250
[/B][/QUOTE]

Chelsey is 7 months old on the 8th of march. So maybe it is just a puppy learning stage. Hopefully. I have never experieced this with any of my other dogs so I guess she is a weirdo too

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by littlepeanut+Mar 2 2005, 01:42 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SpottyPoo
@Mar 2 2005, 12:54 PM

I had no experience with small breeds before Peanut, and through my own research, I think it's because their mouths are so small. One of the canines that they pulled was HUGE!!! I couldn't believe it came from my little pup. Like the eye stain problem some malts have, it's sometimes just that their snouts/heads are so small and the tear ducts can be smushed (not a very technical explanation
, but it's pretty much what happened to Peanut, the other pups from his litter have no staining at all).

I don't know anything about female dogs, but through this site all I know is that you want to have Lizzie spayed before her first heat. It is a very good idea to do the spay and teeth at the same time though. I didn't know about the puppy teeth problem until after I had Peanut neutered, and I hated the fact that he had to be knocked out twice.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39288
[/B][/QUOTE]
I don't know what causes the tooth problem. My first Malt, Rosebud, didn't have the problem, nor did Kallie... but my nine-month-old Catcher does... bummer!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, yes.. that running away... I hate that. I have pretty much taught Kallie to "STOP". I still need to work with Catcher on this. Here are some suggestions... I wonder if she is associating being picked up with something bad; i.e., playtime is over, time for bed, etc.? try these ideas..

1. When you go up to her have a treat with you and pick her up and then give her a treat....

2. Teach her the word STOP... that is the best thing ... could save her life sometime.... Here's how... put a long string on her harness. Then if she starts to run, step on the string (make sure she doesn't know it is you stopping her.). As you step on the string, say STOP. Sort of say it before you step on the string... STOP... then step on the string since she likely has not stopped on her own. She will then stop because she can't go anywhere if your foot is on the string.. (You could use a really long leash also). Then praise to high heaven because she stopped.... well you stopped her but still she did stop.. and give a treat for stopping.

Having her know the "Stop" command will come in so handy in so many ways. One time I didn't know Kallie had gotten outside and when I saw her walking around, I freaked. I knew that the wrong word or action would cause her to start running.... possibly in to the street. So I yelled STOP and she didn't move and I was able to get her. I was so glad she knew what STOP meant.

Good luck!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
hehe, you know what , that is so funny. We have tought both our puppies to stop and they know how.. but i have never thought of using it to get them. I use the command when they run faster then I'm walking. They stop dead in there tracks. We also tought them Behave. This is when we want them to calm down when they are playing.
They love to play tough of war and they make a lot of growling noise... so then i say behave and they stop playing crazy and laydown and play. Don't ask me how i did it.. I don't know.. they just understand what we mean.
I will give the Stop command a try on chelsey tomorrow and see if it works

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Mar 2 2005, 12:54 PM

[/QUOTE]
It sounds like she is urinating like a neutered male... Catcher goes like what you are describing. Kallie sort of squats. I think the problem is caused by your baby's "technique"! I would ask the vet about it and see if she/he has any ideas on how to get her to squat (if that's what you want her to do.)

I know this sounds impossible but neither Kallie nor Catcher have ever had a urnine stain... how is that possible... I don't know!! The groomer does trim that area but gosh you'd think there would be some staining... And Rosebud my first Maltese never had any either... I use potty pads... could that have an effect on this?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom+Mar 3 2005, 07:34 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-SpottyPoo

It sounds like she is urinating like a neutered male... Catcher goes like what you are describing. Kallie sort of squats. I think the problem is caused by your baby's "technique"! I would ask the vet about it and see if she/he has any ideas on how to get her to squat (if that's what you want her to do.)

I know this sounds impossible but neither Kallie nor Catcher have ever had a urnine stain... how is that possible... I don't know!! The groomer does trim that area but gosh you'd think there would be some staining... And Rosebud my first Maltese never had any either... I use potty pads... could that have an effect on this?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39495
[/B][/QUOTE]

I find the urine stains are worse when Lady uses her pee pads. Outside the ground absorbs the urine faster so it doesn't soak into her hair.

I only have a problem when Lady's hair is long like it is now. I'll bet that since yours are kept in a puppy cut, it doesn't get long enough to get in the way of the stream.

Lady definately squats. She just leans ever so slightly to one side and lifts her leg about an inch, no more. Just enough to tilt and pee on her leg!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom+Mar 3 2005, 08:12 AM-->
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's [email protected] 3 2005, 07:34 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-SpottyPoo

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39495

[/QUOTE]

I find the urine stains are worse when Lady uses her pee pads. Outside the ground absorbs the urine faster so it doesn't soak into her hair.

I only have a problem when Lady's hair is long like it is now. I'll bet that since yours are kept in a puppy cut, it doesn't get long enough to get in the way of the stream.

Lady definately squats. She just leans ever so slightly to one side and lifts her leg about an inch, no more. Just enough to tilt and pee on her leg!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=39503
[/B][/QUOTE]

Kallie's hair is on the short side but Catcher's is getting quite long. He just spreads himself out and stands there when "going". The stream goes away from his body and no mess at all. ?? I'll consider myself lucky!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts