Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lacie is my heart dog and I love her with all my heart, but she is very independent and secure and often not very cuddlely. She gets into phases where she just wants to go into my office and lay on her bed and be alone. I'm sitting in the family room, reading, watching TV, using the iPad and both Tilly and Secret are right there with me, but Lacie doesn't come and join us.

Sometimes she gets into a phase for a week or two where she comes and kisses and wants my attention, but this isn't very often.

When she's in her "I vant to be alone" (as Great Garbo would say) phase, it breaks my heart and I feel that she doesn't love me at all. No she isn't feeling bad nor is she upset or sad, she just doesn't want to be social.

I can pick her up and bring her into the family room and she will give me kisses and "tolerate" my cuddling her, but as soon as I let her go she will get down and go back to her bed in the office.

I don't understand why she does this. I've never understood why she does this and I wish she didn't. She breaks my heart because she makes me feel that she doesn't love me at all.

On the other hand, Tilly can't get enough of being close to me and Secret is a little cuddle bug most of the time. And I love both of them to pieces, but they're not Lacie and not my heart dogs.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Lynn, I think many of the females are that way, it has been for me, especially my very first Maltese, my heart dog too. She was very independent and preferred to be in her daybed most of the time. It's just part of their personality.

Now, my little Maltese guy is opposite, he is always my shadow and loves to cuddle and be held but plays with his toys also, being quite active. He's a doll!

By the way, my brother knew Greta Garbo, who would visit his shop in NY and they became good friends. She really was a very private person in her real life, it wasn't just a act. He really liked her.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Bella leans towards the independent side as well. She follows me around the house constantly but she is just not that into cuddling. If I am sitting on the couch, she will come check in with me occasionally but she prefers to sit close by, rather than in my lap, with a toy to cuddle. :(. Lol. I know she loves me but it kind of makes me a little bummed out sometimes that she isn't more needing of my affection. At night, she is perfectly content to sleep in her own little bed with her stuffies. Sometimes I will put her in bed with me when I read but she does not protest when it is time to go back to her own bed. I don't know if its a truly male vs female thing, but I've had more male dogs in my life than female dogs, and looking back, it does seem like the males were more overtly affectionate and needy of hands-on attention.

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
I believe we get dogs we *need*..... not necessarily ones we *want*.

So Lacie is here to teach you something... or help you grow in some area....

You have two very cuddly loving fluffs...and then you have Lacie. She is loving in her own way, but she is in your life for a reason.

Next time you feel bad for her and think about how you don't want her doing that or wish she wouldn't... maybe ask yourself what Lacie is here to teach you in your life....

·
Registered
10,778 Posts
My Amy was that way too she'd be all over Al when he was home and snuggle with me when he was at work but not like my others do. Amy was my heart dog.. Emily is my heart dog now but to Bitsy,I'm her heart person... and it's hard not to have two heart dogs now... Rylee goes through stages, he's totally my velcro buddy... well could be three heart dogs... Sheesh these little fluffs make it do hard to choose!!!!

·
Super Moderator
10,508 Posts
She loves you Lynn; she is just looking for some "alone" time! Sort of like a human who becomes overwhelmed by too much activity and stimulation and needs to recharge. My first Malt, Samantha, was like that sometimes too.

·
Premium Member
Sandi-- w/Kitzel (Kitzi) & Lisel (Lisi)
18,267 Posts
I agree. Lacie just needs space. I love my husband but I also love it when he travels!:innocent:

·
Premium Member
16,128 Posts
Aww Lacie loves you. Some fluffs are just like that. Sometimes I think that Hardy feels like the other three take all of my attention, so he just doesn't try to snuggle as much. If I pick him up and carry him to another room, he acts like he loves having me all to himself.

·
Registered
13,098 Posts
Ahhh Lynn... don't for a second think Lacie doesn't love you! Her independence is actually a good thing...shows you've raised her be a secure and confident little girl.
When I first got Naddie she was a severe separation anxiety pooch. I literally could not cross the room without her being right there by my side..and God-forbid I went to another room with door closed. Today she is a self-assured little girl who often takes off to be on her own.
Thee are times when I put her on my lap and she totally 'snuggles'.. at other times I can tell she just wants down! LOL

·
Administrator
Walter & Casper with Lucky (forever in my heart).
10,259 Posts
She loves you will all her heart and more. Dogs like people have hormones, emotions, feelings, mood. She just wants to be alone with her thoughts. Some dogs are very sensitive to environmental conditions, shifting in the phases of the moon, weather and season changes, etc., and she may very well be trying to cope with one of these by putting herself in isolation mode. I am not certain about her history with your dear late husband, but it is also possible that there was some trigger that making her miss him and she is just a bit depressed and wants to be alone. I notice it with Luck every once and a while, that he will suddenly change while looking at my mother's chair. He will become distant.

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Lacie loves you!! I know Mia loves me, but she doesn't cuddle either. I can put her on my lap and sometimes she will settle down for a bit, but most of the time she isn't a lapdog. She will lie next to me on the sofa, but most of the time she lies at my feet on the floor. She sleeps on the bed, but always on her own cushion or above my head. She never snuggles right up against me. She doesn't snuggle, but she does follow me around the house. But, even that is slowing down some. I guess she's finally realized I'm not going to disappear...even if I leave the house she now knows I will be back. It isn't a big deal now.

·
Premium Member
6,136 Posts
Lynn, my Rose is the same way...it is just their temperaments, they love us..:wub: ....right now, Eva and Lily are in my lap and Rose is on her cushion on the sofa..she has always been that way..she will get in my lap at night sometimes...but she acts just like Lacie..it has to be on Rosie's terms..I guess it's good we have the others, too! Eva and Lily are very "lovey-dovey"..:wub::wub:

·
Premium Member
20,110 Posts
Lacie sounds just like Archie. He rarely sits with me....he's usually down in the man cave with Stan. :w00t:....sniff...

But I he and I "know" how strong our relationship is, so he doesn't need constant reminding. And I know he's getting older and needs to be comfortable. ...he's usually in the littlest donut bed we have!! :blink::HistericalSmiley:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.