Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So everytime I bathe her I like to brush her as I blow dry her, and she literally runs from the brush. she growls and barks at it and shoots her face at it to bite the brush. Will she grow out of it? I want to brush out her eye boogers, but I am so scared to accidentally poke at her eye so I just dont do it. I have to hold her tight while brushing her body. Does anyone have any idea as to why she may be so scared? She is also scared of the slicker brush but not the way she fears the pin brush...and she just HATES the flea comb.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Catcher was the same way at first. I never dreamed he would eventually be OK with it but he is now.

I just took it very, very gently with him and put him up on my grooming counter. Then I talked real soft and sweet to him and told him what a pretty boy he is. ... just sweet nothings! I never got mad or anything. I wanted him to associate the groomig with only good things.

Then I would brush for a little while and then end it. And then add more time later on as he got more used to it. I did have to grab his facial hair and then put a small comb through it. After doing that a couple times he quit fighting it. He's really pretty good now. Much, much better than when he was younger.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
What type of brush are you using and how are you brushing? You may be hurting her unintentionally.

I find it easiest to have my dogs lay down on their sides for me to brush them. I train that behavior separately with lots of treats and slowly add in the brushing, continuing the treats. As they get use to it, I space the treats out more and more until it is just one treat after brushing.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.