Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have called possibly every breeder i have found and have visted two so far. one lady in her home had over 80-100 maltese scattered everywere which really worried me, is this normal?? or is this a bad sigh because they seemed healty and weren't in cages they had run of the house but i have never seen so many maltese in my life. i just want to find a beeder with akc papers a guarentee and someone who is a good breeder if anyone knows of anybody in ca please help me does anyone know how to reach doug larcher the breeder from newlyweds thanks
priscilla

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I would think that anyone who had that many malts (or any other animals) has a problem. I would run away from that "breeder" as fast as I could, then I'd call my local SPCA or Humane Society or Animal Control. I wouldn't hurt to be on the safe side.

As far as finding a breeder goes, check out the AKC breeder's referral list. You can also try calling your local dog or kennel club. You can also check with a local vet to see who they may recommend. It took us about a year to find our pup. This is something you don't want to rush into. Taking time to find the right breeder and the right pup is worth it.

·
Registered
894 Posts
If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's probably a DUCK!! Meaning, sounds like a backyard breeder to me. Run, don't walk away from them. We (unknowingly) got Sisse from a BYB (she "meant well" by breeding her male/female) so the female could have "just one litter". Luckily there were just 4 pups and they were ALL cared for very, very well and raised indoors (actually in her bedroom).

Stick to the breeders list, check out the USDA list and DON'T purchase from anyone on that list. There are others on the site that I am sure will jump in and give you suggestions as I am a new Momma myself and am still learning. Check out the local Humane society as well, sometimes Malts end up there and you could be giving a Malt a loving forever home!! Good luck in your search....

·
Registered
3,615 Posts
I just came across your other post regarding looking for a breeder. I know it's hard, once you've made up your mind to get a puppy, to wait for the right dog and breeder, but please take my advice on this. You do not want to buy a dog on impulse. Talk to several breeders before you make any decisions. Please slow down and look carefully, you'll be happier in the long run. In the mean time, check out any local dog shows in the LA area. I am sure that there are going to be some coming up. That way, you'll have an opportunity to meet breeders who show their dogs. And if they don't have puppies available, they may know another breeder who does.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Have you contacted the breeders on the American Maltese Association breeder's list? Those are usually pretty good breeders, but you would still want to question them. Before they become members they have to agree to a code of ethics
Code of Ethics

1. As a member of the American Maltese Association, I will breed to the ideals of the Maltese standard and will act in accordance to the objectives and purposes of the AMA. I will abide by and uphold the principles of the Club's Constitution and this code of Ethics.

2. I will keep alert for and endeavor to control or eradicate inherited problems that are particular to my breed. I will strive to screen my breeding stock for hereditary problems.

3. If any of my Maltese need to be euthanized, it will be done in a most humane manner by a veterinarian. It will not be done at a dog pound, humane society, or experimental lab, nor will they be left alive at any of these places.

4. I will provide adequate diet and exercise, and veterinary care and supervision during gestation, whelping and lactation.

5. I will not knowingly deal with dog wholesalers, retailers, or unethical dog breeders, not supply dogs for raffles, "give away" prizes, or other such projects.

6. I will keep accurate breeding and stud records as required by AKC.

7. My puppies will receive quality health care and nutrition. They will be handled regularly, properly socialized, and accustomed to human contact.

8. I will not sell a puppy before it has been given a veterinarian health examination and has received at least one inoculation against distemper, hepatitis and parvo. A puppy will remain in my possession until at least 12 weeks of age.

9. I will provide pet buyers with written details on feeding, general care and nutrition and a health record with data on veterinary attention.

10. I will provide limited registration on puppies sold as pets or have signed spay-neuter agreements.

11. I will not speak with dishonor of another member or seek to impair the reputation of another breeder. I will be courteous and helpful to people who contact me regarding dog information.

12. While staying in a hotel/motel during specialty shows and all-breed shows, I will obey the rules, regulations and policies pertaining to dogs. Upon proof of violations, I assume the risk of suspension from the AMA with a letter of grievance filed with the AKC recommending disciplinary action.

13. I understand that failure to comply with this Code of Ethics will subject me to possible suspension or expulsion from the AMA.[/B]

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes i have and none of them have puppies ready until like next year so i'm trying to find someone else hehe. does anyone know who doug larcher is hes a breeder featured on newlyweds and i would ove to find him and contact him. thanks everybody

Originally posted by Lexi's Mom@Mar 28 2005, 03:18 PM
Have you contacted the breeders on the American Maltese Association breeder's list? Those are usually pretty good breeders, but you would still want to question them. Before they become members they have to agree to a code of ethics QUOTE
Code of Ethics

1. As a member of the American Maltese Association, I will breed to the ideals of the Maltese standard and will act in accordance to the objectives and purposes of the AMA. I will abide by and uphold the principles of the Club's Constitution and this code of Ethics.

2. I will keep alert for and endeavor to control or eradicate inherited problems that are particular to my breed. I will strive to screen my breeding stock for hereditary problems.

3. If any of my Maltese need to be euthanized, it will be done in a most humane manner by a veterinarian. It will not be done at a dog pound, humane society, or experimental lab, nor will they be left alive at any of these places.

4. I will provide adequate diet and exercise, and veterinary care and supervision during gestation, whelping and lactation.

5. I will not knowingly deal with dog wholesalers, retailers, or unethical dog breeders, not supply dogs for raffles, "give away" prizes, or other such projects.

6. I will keep accurate breeding and stud records as required by AKC.

7. My puppies will receive quality health care and nutrition. They will be handled regularly, properly socialized, and accustomed to human contact.

8. I will not sell a puppy before it has been given a veterinarian health examination and has received at least one inoculation against distemper, hepatitis and parvo. A puppy will remain in my possession until at least 12 weeks of age.

9. I will provide pet buyers with written details on feeding, general care and nutrition and a health record with data on veterinary attention.

10. I will provide limited registration on puppies sold as pets or have signed spay-neuter agreements.

11. I will not speak with dishonor of another member or seek to impair the reputation of another breeder. I will be courteous and helpful to people who contact me regarding dog information.

12. While staying in a hotel/motel during specialty shows and all-breed shows, I will obey the rules, regulations and policies pertaining to dogs. Upon proof of violations, I assume the risk of suspension from the AMA with a letter of grievance filed with the AKC recommending disciplinary action.

13. I understand that failure to comply with this Code of Ethics will subject me to possible suspension or expulsion from the AMA.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46893
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Originally posted by prissybaby@Mar 28 2005, 03:00 PM
yes i have and none of them have puppies ready until like next year so i'm trying to find someone else hehe. does anyone know who doug larcher is hes a breeder featured on newlyweds and i would ove to find him and contact him. thanks everybody
You could may be call some of the breeders further away. They might ship the puppy to you or you can fly to get it.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
80-100 loose dogs is not normal. Some larger Maltese breeders have up to 30 dogs and they rotate them in and out of kennels. They usually have kennel help or are home full time with the dogs. Usually a handful of dogs run loose at a time. However, even the kennels are kept in the house or indoors (attached sun room, bedroom, converted garage, basement, etc.).

Most good breeders don't have a puppy available immediately. I would be warey of a breeder who always has puppies available.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by prissybaby@Mar 28 2005, 02:11 PM
i have called possibly every breeder i have found and have visted two so far. one lady in her home had over  80-100 maltese scattered everywere which really worried me, is this normal?? or is this a bad sigh because they seemed healty and weren't in cages they had run of the house but i have never seen so many maltese in my life. i just want to find a beeder with akc papers a guarentee and someone who is a good breeder if anyone knows of anybody in ca please help me does anyone know how to reach doug larcher the breeder from newlyweds thanks
priscilla
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46869
[/QUOTE]

I did a search on Info Dog and got this email address for a Doug Larcher

[email protected]

Hope this helps you. His website had been disabled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you so much for finding that emai address/ hopefully ill find a good maltese breeder and have a new baby soon[

quote=LucyLou,Mar 28 2005, 07:22 PM]
i have called possibly every breeder i have found and have visted two so far. one lady in her home had over  80-100 maltese scattered everywere which really worried me, is this normal?? or is this a bad sigh because they seemed healty and weren't in cages they had run of the house but i have never seen so many maltese in my life. i just want to find a beeder with akc papers a guarentee and someone who is a good breeder if anyone knows of anybody in ca please help me does anyone know how to reach doug larcher the breeder from newlyweds thanks
priscilla
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46869
I did a search on Info Dog and got this email address for a Doug Larcher

[email protected]

Hope this helps you. His website had been disabled.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=46977
[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Sorry for getting back to you so late. I was very busy at work today. Did you try contacting all the breeders I sent you? They should be able to refer you to other breeders with puppies. Doug's pups are very beautiful and if you are interested, I could send you some photos of them. Since he has some Chrisman lines, I find his pups have very little or no staining. I think he is by the LA airport - not sure how far that is from you.

California has a lot of great Maltese breeders. They are all really nice

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Originally posted by Kallie/Catcher's Mom@Mar 29 2005, 07:38 PM
Wow, what a lovely web site. Most Maltese sites use waaaay too much black. This one is so refreshing and with such "clean" graphics. Charmypoo.... are you the Charmaine who designed this great site?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47323
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I did. Thank you very much
I am really trying to change the way "dog sites" are. I am not a fan of all the midi and inconsistent navigation.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
thank you all so much so far no one really has any maltese available and if they do they seem shady ahh this is so hard i just wish i had a new puppy now o wel il be patien but if any of you know of anyone please contact me [email protected]

Originally posted by CharmyPoo+Mar 29 2005, 09:01 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Frosty's Mom
@Mar 29 2005, 07:00 PM
Isn't this Doug Larcher's website? Rijes Maltese
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47308
No, Rijes Maltese is owned by Jeanne Haley. Doug does own Maltese bred by Jeanne though.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47336
[/B][/QUOTE]

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo+Mar 29 2005, 09:03 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Kallie/Catcher's Mom
@Mar 29 2005, 07:38 PM
Wow, what a lovely web site. Most Maltese sites use waaaay too much black. This one is so refreshing and with such "clean" graphics. Charmypoo.... are you the Charmaine who designed this great site?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47323
Yes, I did. Thank you very much
I am really trying to change the way "dog sites" are. I am not a fan of all the midi and inconsistent navigation.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=47337
[/B][/QUOTE]
Gotcha... Hope you can get ahold of lots more Malt sites!!! The music is just HORRIBLE!!!

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
Amazing site Charmaine
It's beautiful. I love the way the colors just make it seem more.. open and welcome. If that makes sense. It's just soo much more appealing

·
Registered
76 Posts
I know it is both hard to be patient and to find a good breeder! I just went through the process myself and it was frustrating when I would find a breeder I was comfortable with, they had all the power. Since they were breeding for themselves first they wanted to wait about 3 months after the puppy was born to determine if they were going to keep one or all or make any of them available for sale, then at that point it was a "whoever calls first" type of arrangement, no one would take my name or number or anything like that.

I understand that they wouldn't have any trouble placing these puppies but I just wanted some more definitive answers. So I ended up paying more and traveling farther than i originally budgeted for but I'm very very happy with the results!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts