Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter has a Maltipoo named Lucy. When giving Lucy treats, if she drops the treat and has to pick it up off the floor, 9 out of 10 times she will start with a horrible sounding dry hacking noise that last for 5 or 10 seconds, and then she's fine. What could this be?

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
She may be swallowing the treat whole rather than chewing it before swallowing. The hacking sound could be from it getting lodged in the throat. What treats is she being fed? How big?

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
She may be swallowing the treat whole rather than chewing it before swallowing. The hacking sound could be from it getting lodged in the throat. What treats is she being fed? How big?
I was thinking the same thing as Lisa.

We have to make sure that Snowball's treats are broken up into smaller pieces ... even though they are already small. Otherwise, he gets so excited that he will tend to gulp the treat down without swallowing. Just today I told him to chew his treat. (it is soft ... organic freeze dried lamb) He took ONE chew ... and, alas ... still gulped down it down! And, then he had to gag for a few seconds. He only does it with this treat. This treat has been the best training tool, I swear!

However, if the hacking sounds persists, I would check it out with a vet. Better to be safe then sorry later, right?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No, not it. This happens when she trying to pick up the treat on the floor. The treat isn't in her mouth when she's hacking. After she finishing the horrible hacking episode, she picks up the treat and eats it and she's fine. Hmmmm

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
It could be she gets very excited to have the treat and that is a result. Does she ever do the hacking at any other time? Rocky hacks at times.

·
Registered
2,477 Posts
it sounds like a reverse sneeze and is fairly common, especially in young dogs but can continue through life. calmly place your finger over the pups nostrils and rub the chest throat area lightly to force the dog to breath through its mouth and it should stop.

·
Registered
13 Posts
There is something called reverse sneezing very common in Maltese, my male does it a lot. He does it when he gets too excited or when he inhales dust off the floor. It could be that.

·
Premium Member
12,783 Posts
There is something called reverse sneezing very common in Maltese, my male does it a lot. He does it when he gets too excited or when he inhales dust off the floor. It could be that.
I sounds like reverse sneezing to me also - very benign thing to happen.

StevensMaltesePuppies, welcome to SM. Just wanted to let you know though that links to your website in your signature are against SM rules, so if you get a note from admin about it - just know you aren't being singled out.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
Mine does this too at times......when we come home and she is so excited to see us .....it almost sounds like she does not know whether to breathe in or exhale and it sounds reversed.

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
it sounds like a reverse sneeze and is fairly common, especially in young dogs but can continue through life. calmly place your finger over the pups nostrils and rub the chest throat area lightly to force the dog to breath through its mouth and it should stop.
Yes, it does sound like reverse sneezing. This is exactly what I do. My little Josey and Cody do it when they get really, really excited, sometimes.
Here's a video of Sparkey the Maltese....his sounds more like a honking noise. When Cody does it, it's a light pitch, but, similar. I also wanted to add that a friend of mine down south had the reverse sneezing happen constantly in the spring time. Her vet said it was due to allergies, and she was given meds. It helped she stated. Mine only do it once in awhile when really excited. They also did it more as puppies.

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
My guess is also the reverse sneezing, due to excitement over the treat.
Coco does this too.
It might be helpful to have the dog do a command, like a SIT, for the treat.
They have to focus on the command before they get the treat.
(I don't mean giving a command to a dog who is already reverse sneezing)
Just a command to settle them down before the treat.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes, it does sound like reverse sneezing. This is exactly what I do. My little Josey and Cody do it when they get really, really excited, sometimes.
Here's a video of Sparkey the Maltese....his sounds more like a honking noise. When Cody does it, it's a light pitch, but, similar. I also wanted to add that a friend of mine down south had the reverse sneezing happen constantly in the spring time. Her vet said it was due to allergies, and she was given meds. It helped she stated. Mine only do it once in awhile when really excited. They also did it more as puppies.
YouTube - Sparkey maltese reverse sneezing
Thanks so much for the video. When your video hits the 1:00 mark, that's what Lucy sounds like. I will try to get a video and post it ASAP. I tell Lucy to sit, she sits, takes the treat in her mouth then drops it and starts with the hacking noise. She then picks up treat and eats it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts