Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Schuster and Grace have been together now for nearly 9 months. During that time, there has never been any aggression shown. Just here recently, I've noticed that when he and Grace "play", he will grab ahold of her tail and won't let go, and sometimes even pull her tail. I've noticed that he don't just up and do this, but he will do this when they wrestle with each other or when she jumps up on him. She doesn't seem to act like it hurts, she doesn't cry or wimper when he does it.... it's like it bothers me more than her.... I've not got after him for doing this YET, but if she acts like it hurts her than I'll sternly tell him NO. any advice or opinion?

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
I think it is just play. If it was hurting her she would let you know. I would just keep an eye on them. If it gets beyond just play separate them for a little while.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
I would say it is just play...and when Grace has enough, she will let him know.

Brinkley often wrestles pretty rough with our Spencer cat...the only one of ours who has no claws. Spencer will tolerate it and play back even when I think Brinkley is being too rough. There have been times when Brinkley has gotten a good grip on Spencer's long hair or ear
and drug him several feet across the kitchen floor (which is easy because it is linoleum) and a few times he has done it across the carpet. :new_Eyecrazy: It looks awful and at times, the play sounds awful between the two of them. Spencer has never had a mark on him or any hair pullled from his body during this play. I know he has bitten Brink a few times because Brink has yelped, and Spencer has no claws....but I have never found a bite mark on Brink.

I think for whatever reason, however they have communicated....they have it all worked out. When Spencer has enough...he gets up and jumps the gate to get away. Now occasionally I have to step in here, because if Brink is not done playing, he will continue to tackle Spencer so he can't escape.
(Big Bully!) That is when I step in and break them up. Otherwise, if both parties seem "ok" with the play session, I just leave them alone.

PS: The other cats don't engage in play like this with Brink (so far). Callie hates Brinkley and will avoid him at all costs.
When they do meet, of course Brinkley thinks "Hey, where have YOU been?!" and immediately chases her and pisses her off.
He and Little-Bit are great friends...but she has claws, so play between them is more of a chase and hide/seek like thing. Cute, but not nearly as physical or noisy as the wrestle sessions b/w he and Spencer. Brink often brings a toy to Little-Bit during one of their chase sessions when she is finished and is "lounging" in the middle of the floor. I guess he is not done, so tries to get her to join in with stuffed Ellie or Bear. She doesn't get it...But is sure is cute to watch him try...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts