Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 64 Posts

·
Registered
3,156 Posts
Great question, Allie!
For me it was allergies.
I ADORE animals and when I heard that a Maltese can be easier on them I was done.
The start of the small dog obsession was when we doggysat our Aunt's white Toy Poodle in my childhood for a year while his family was overseas.
I was crushed when he left.

Now as an adult, my Maltese are like kids. :)

Why a Maltese? The silly edition answers! Just for fun!

I couldn't fit a Great Dane in my purse.:w00t:

I was tired of having disposable income.

I would have gotten a Chihuahua, but I don't speak Spanish.

Maltese?!:w00t: I thought I had a rare white Yorkie!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Little shedding, after my chihuahua this seemed amazing!

Mainly though, every single one I've met has been the most cluelessly sweetest thing so I wanted a furbaby.. <3

·
Premium Member
17,460 Posts
In 1974 we had been married for 6 months so I begged my husband to "just look" w/me & he is a great sport! He was in seminary at the time & we were as "broke as the 10 commandments"---he didn't think there was a problem since we had no $$. Well that night we looked at a small litter on White Rock Lake in Dallas & came home w. little Wimpy-- to an apt. where "no dogs allowed" was the motto. We put him in a little brown paper lunch bag & took him out to do his business to the park! That lasted about a week & we went to tell the land-lady we were moving! She was a good sport & let us keep him until we could find a new apt. The rest is history! 39 yrs. and many maltese later----I think I could almost produce a litter---it is in my DNA.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
I wanted a maltipoo:blush:
I couldn't find any(thankfully!) so I decided to "settle" for a maltese - my parents said no at first (I was only around 15 at the time) and I am so glad they did as I would have gone to a BYB!
Over the next 2/3 years I researched loads and learned so much - so last year I got Milo from a reputable show breeder!

·
Premium Member
2,019 Posts
My small terrier mix liked little white dogs (and had lost her little white canine companion after 10-1/2 years), I liked what I heard and read about their personality and intelligence, and I thought it would be easier to visit my mom in another state with such a portable little dog. And of course they are just about the cutest things ever! :)

·
Premium Member
17,460 Posts
In 1974 we had been married for 6 months so I begged my husband to "just look" w/me & he is a great sport! He was in seminary at the time & we were as "broke as the 10 commandments"---he didn't think there was a problem since we had no $$. Well that night we looked at a small litter on White Rock Lake in Dallas & came home w. little Wimpy-- to an apt. where "no dogs allowed" was the motto. We put him in a little brown paper lunch bag & took him out to do his business to the park! That lasted about a week & we went to tell the land-lady we were moving! She was a good sport & let us keep him until we could find a new apt. The rest is history! 39 yrs. and many maltese later----I think I could almost produce a litter---it is in my DNA.
That should have read 1971---
maybe I should re-read my:HistericalSmiley: post on "how old are you?"

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sandi,

Such a sweet story! I enjoyed reading it- you are fascinating.

·
Banned
1,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wanted a maltipoo:blush:
I couldn't find any(thankfully!) so I decided to "settle" for a maltese - my parents said no at first (I was only around 15 at the time) and I am so glad they did as I would have gone to a BYB!
Over the next 2/3 years I researched loads and learned so much - so last year I got Milo from a reputable show breeder!

Orla,

If I were half as bright as you are at 19 - whoa! You're amazning.

·
Premium Member
17,460 Posts
Sandi,

Such a sweet story! I enjoyed reading it- you are fascinating.
YES Allie, you are right. . . are at least I would be fascinating -IF- I could produce a little of puppies! Shoot, I might even get on Good Morning America!:HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:

·
Premium Member
2,388 Posts
Back in the 70s I had a Maltese (daisy) when I couldn't keep her she lived with my Mom. She was the sweetest pup.

After I got married and had my girls DH got a Germain Shepard. Big poo, shed hair everywhere. After he went to the bridge and many years later.

All the girls are grown and gone, the house is very quiet. I started in on getting a little pup. DH did not want a little dog (said he hated them) but let me get little Lilly telling me it would be "my dog". Figured I get a Maltese since I knew how they were. Stacy helped me find Lilly and SM. Very small poo, no loose hair and every time I turn around DH has her in his arm. :wub:

I wonder who really owns who, seems like Lilly runs the house now and there is never a dull moment. :chili:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Hubby and I both love most dogs. We decided on a Maltese (after having a miniature poodle and then a bichon) for these reasons:

Temperament
Size - we travel a lot
Low Allergen/non-shedding - hubby has allergies.

It worked out perfectly, and at this point I think that we will never own any breed but Maltese.

·
Premium Member
6,086 Posts
I had a hard time when my oldest child left home. I do not consider myself a dog person at all although I have always loved animals. I wanted a "baby". I wanted an animal that was soft, warm, loving, sweet, gentle, did not stink, drool, or shed. I did not want to have a "baby" that I had to walk or let outside, that was rambunctious or high energy. I wanted this "baby" with me as much as possible to hold, kiss, travel with and spoil. I was thinking to myself, there is no such creature. I must be asking for the impossible... I started doing research on small breeds and got my first Maltese in 1997. He was the first dog I ever had. I'm convinced that God created the Maltese just for me! I often call them my little therapists.:wub: To this very day, I still absolutely adore them!:chili::chili:

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
We too love most breeds. We had cockers and we still do. But as our little black cocker was gettign old,we thought about aomethign different. Al had seen a Maltese on a dog show at work and called me to ask what they were,he hadn't caught the name of the breed. I said probably Maltese.
We would go out of town travelling and see them and became more interested. We never saw any in per stores around here though.

We also wanted something that didn't look like or remind us of Amy,it was too paiful to think of her going to the bridge.

Al must have really been serious.He kept looking in the paper and then one day he found an advert for Maltese puppies. We looked and instead of getting one,we got two. Now we have four!
The beauty ,their walk,those big expressive eyes and being small did it for us. Al loves his little fluffs,especially when people make fun of them being wimpy little dogs...
Takes a real man to walk a Malt in a pink dress!

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I first got interested in Maltese as a child. Our neighbor had one named Belle. She was adorable and had such a personality. We had a labrador at the time. When I was 12 I bought a "Maltese" from what I now identify as a small puppy mill. There was no question she was 1/2 Bichon. I adored her. I was introduced to showing by a friend who bred Lhasas...I started showing as a young teen (my own Maltese, labs, samoyeds, and a great dane). When I was 17 I was introduced to agility with my first owner-handled champion. As I got further involved with dog training, I realized the bane of so many small dogs was lack of training. Since then I've tried to set an example of what incredible brains little dogs have.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
My grandma has always had Maltese. She got her first one before I was even born! Back around 1975 or so. His name was Max. We've had Maltese off and on every since. We are on our third now. I think my grandma got them because Elizabeth Taylor was one of her favorite movie stars and she always had one.

·
Premium Member
24,019 Posts
Great question, Allie!
For me it was allergies.
I ADORE animals and when I heard that a Maltese can be easier on them I was done.
The start of the small dog obsession was when we doggysat our Aunt's white Toy Poodle in my childhood for a year while his family was overseas.
I was crushed when he left.

Now as an adult, my Maltese are like kids. :)

Why a Maltese? The silly edition answers! Just for fun!

I couldn't fit a Great Dane in my purse.:w00t:

I was tired of having disposable income.

I would have gotten a Chihuahua, but I don't speak Spanish.

Maltese?!:w00t: I thought I had a rare white Yorkie!

Thanks for my morning laugh, Jilly. All so true though. :thumbsup: Gosh I'm trying to figure out where my obsession for Maltese came from. I really don't know.:blink: I know that my eye was always attracted to any I saw on the street. Then I saw THE cutest one in my neighborhood and wrote down the breeders name and Bookmarked it in my computer. I think that was the beginning of the end for me. I then petsat my accountant's daughter's Maltese. I swear I practically stalked her to ask if I could pet sit. Well maybe stalk is a strong word, more like kept asking accountant and he just said CALL HER. That was the clincher!! I took care of Peter numerous times, up to two weeks at a time and fell totally in love as did DH. I had poodles, mixed breeds, dacshunds, Yorkies, and Chihuahuas growing up and my fave was the Yorkie. I think of the maltese as a very clean Yorkie. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:since my Timmy was super sweet, cuddly, smart and beautiful...like Tyler. And the funniest thing is I ended up getting Tyler from the breeder whose name I had bookmarked years ago. KISMET!!:wub::wub:

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I have always had big dogs....well, bigger. I grew up with a cocker spaniel (my Mom named Winston after Winston Churchill...he reminder her of churchill with all his facial wrinkles).

Last fall, I was commenting to my hubby that I wanted another baby (I wanted a brother for my son) and his reply was, "We have 4 kids already!!" So of course I still had baby fever and was quite sad. One day (looking at craigslist of all places!) I saw a picture of a maltese and showed it to my hubby. He actually said her would like to have one of those and that was it for me!!! I researched a lot about the maltese breed and was very impressed...esp about the low allergens considering one of my kiddos has asthma. I found a local breeder the rest is history, I had found my "baby" to love. :) Then I found this great site and became interested in showing...and now look at me. lol

1 - 20 of 64 Posts