Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope someone here can help me. I have a sparrows nest in a planter of mine (as usual every summer), but last night I came home to find my 4 baby birds near death from the heat yesterday. I thought for sure they were done. I fanned them and misted them with water and was just so upset thinking at least 3 were already gone and the one didnt have a chance.

Anyway today they are all living! but barely. I cant believe it. The problem is that she put them in my herb planter and the basils that are growing are not providing enough shade. The wilting yesterday is what I think did them in. Where they are now they are in direct sun pretty much all day into evening, and there is no way I can shade it. Its a pot right on a ledge of my deck and I have tried to think but I cannot see any way to shade this thing unless I can move the whole nest. Pot and all of course. I know I can touch the birds if necessary, but I have not been able to find any info if I can move them. I just want to put them on the other side of the deck which will give them plenty of shade. I dont think they are going to make it another day, so I might have to try it anyway. its almost 100 degrees today again.

Anyone know? I tried calling my local wildlife center but they just closed
thanks for any help!

·
Registered
571 Posts
what about using one of those big umbrellas that are for a patio table but just put it in a base stand and then place it so it shades the babies.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Awww....how sad!
I would be afraid to move them too without asking...hmmm...but maybe the momma bird is smarter than we think. Maybe she would appreciate it too...
Good luck!!!

·
Registered
151 Posts
I don't think birds are to smart.. We had one nest in the grill.. I wanted to grill and when i opened the lid. We had a grill full of baby birds. thank god i did not start the grill first.
I wish you luck with your birds. I don't think i would try to move them.. I would try to shade them some how??? THe umbrella sounds good to me.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by maltese momma@Aug 13 2005, 04:07 PM
I don't think birds are to smart.. We had one nest in the grill.. I wanted to grill and when i opened the lid.  We had a grill full of baby birds.  thank god i did not start the grill first. 
I wish you luck with your birds.  I don't think i would try to move them.. I would try to shade them some how??? THe umbrella sounds good to me.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90234
[/QUOTE]

hence the term Bird brain....KIDDING! I love birds-they are just running out of places to nest!

Actually, If you do move them-the mama is usually watching from a tree-so she'll know where you put them-take the entire pot, and move it...

It IS hot-I found a squirrel rolling itself on a wet towel my kids left on the grass. Poor animals-it's a bad, bad summer.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
I had a nest of barn swallows build just inside my garage. I didn't realize this until I went out and found that they were dropping their poop on my car. I had to vacate the garage until they got their wings and flew off :new_Eyecrazy:

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks guys... I tried the umbrella, unfortunately I had to hold it
there is no place for one since this pot is sitting on the railing of my deck
right near the door and the umbrella I have for my patio set, needs the table to be the anchor in the middle, so there is no room unless I dont want to use the deck. even then it wouldnt be on the best side for shade. the other side is about a 6ft drop, and that is the side where the sun hits from morning until mid afternoon.

I think I might move them, but I am going to call the wildlife place tomorrow morning to be sure its ok.

They are still living! I put some peanut butter and a bowl of water nearby and watered the plants thoroughly yesterday. the best part is that we had a little storm in the early evening that really helped

oh, and I have 5 baby birds, not 4. I cant believe how they are all crammed in there. they are starting to get around so that railing is a horrible place to be when they decide to take off. thats a pretty big drop.

After this Phoebe might be getting a pet bird (from a friend). birds are growing on me

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Aug 14 2005, 12:20 PM
Thanks guys...  I tried the umbrella, unfortunately I had to hold it 
  there is no place for one since this pot is sitting on the railing of my deck
  right near the door and the umbrella I have for my patio set, needs the table to be the anchor in the middle, so there is no room unless I dont want to use the deck. even then it wouldnt be on the best side for shade.  the other side is about a 6ft drop, and that is the side where the sun hits from morning until mid afternoon.

I think I might move them, but I am going to call the wildlife place tomorrow morning to be sure its ok.

They are still living!  I put some peanut butter and a bowl of water nearby and watered the plants thoroughly yesterday.  the best part is that we had a little storm in the early evening that really helped 

oh, and I have 5 baby birds, not 4.  I cant believe how they are all crammed in there.  they are starting to get around so that railing is a horrible place to be when they decide to take off.  thats a pretty big drop. 

After this Phoebe might be getting a pet bird (from a friend).  birds are growing on me

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=90386
[/QUOTE]

Thats great!!!

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
I live too close to the city to have anything but pigeons. I don't know a darm thing about birds, but that's kinda cool that they are on your deck. I'm glad the momma bird picked your basil planter for her babies because obviously you care about them. I hope all 5 babies are doing well.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi folks! I was just reminded that I needed to update status of my birds to all concerned. They made it I am happy to say
thanks everyone for the advice. The weather seemed to have broken a bit and I was out there every day with water and peanut butter. My gram passed away this week
so things were hectic, so I didnt call the wildlife center as planned. I took someone to see them last night as we were preparing my house for the luncheon today, and the nest was empty.
Of course everyone who has heard all about them can call me a liar now
But it appears that they have moved out and didnt leave a forwarding address!
I am amazed but so happy they made it.

Secondly as an added update, Miss Phoebe was a total angel with the house full of people today. When I needed her out of the way I put her into her crate and she did not even make a sound.
So, I think we are on the way to liking our safe haven again. I was reminded how important that crate is to have for us. Just for a few minutes here, a few minutes there, I knew she was safe and out of the way. Thanks all for the help on that topic as well

Now on to clean up. I hope all is well and I hope I am not missing too much. I will have alot of catch up to do when I finally get settled after this. Take care guys.

·
Registered
2,195 Posts
So So Sorry to hear about your grandmother. Our prayers are with you and your family.

Glad to hear the birds made it, a nice surprise!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts