Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. My MuShu is about 11 weeks old. He's a good eater. I fed him dried dog food (same as the breeder) the 1st 2 days and then I added a little bit of moist baby food in it (chicken and rice) and he LOVED it. Now, he won't eat it w/o the baby food probabalby cuz it doesn't taste as good. MY QUESTION is: Will he get bored of the baby food flavor and then stop eating that as well? Should I just stop giving him the baby food all together so he can go back to his regular food?

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
IMHO, the most important thing is that he eats. I wouldn't worry about spoiling him, etc. now... he is so young and needs his nourishment so my goal has always been to just get them to eat... I found that as they got older they became much less finicky....

It's impossible to know if he will get tired of the baby food... just keep trying it and see... you may want to reduce the amount over time. I used to have to hand feed both Kallie and Catcher as they would get so busy playing, they would forget to eat. Be sure he eats his food over 3 smaller meals a day since he has a tiny tummy.

I would just do whatever it takes to get him to eat...

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think its fine that he has babyfood in his food. its not a lot of calories or fat

and just keep feeding till he gets bored...then add another flavor (like green beans).

my dogs get bored every other day with their food...and they're on homecooked. so we alternate the chicken and steak.

dont worry about your puppy though.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Every pup is different but Kodie gets sick of things so... I mix things up for him. One day he will get green beans in his food... one day... baby food carrots (which are always all over his face! haha)... baby food peas... etc. I always found that if your always mixing it up he wont get sick it anything!
(Dont be alarmed... when I use baby food you have to use it up within like 2 days sooo... I might do two days in a row of the same baby food... as long as it isnt one full week of the same thing.
)

·
Registered
841 Posts
Originally posted by Kodie@Jun 2 2005, 06:13 AM
Every pup is different but Kodie gets sick of things so... I mix things up for him.  One day he will get green beans in his food... one day... baby food carrots (which are always all over his face! haha)... baby food peas... etc.  I always found that if your always mixing it up he wont get sick it anything!
   (Dont be alarmed... when I use baby food you have to use it up within like 2 days sooo... I might do two days in a row of the same baby food... as long as it isnt one full week of the same thing.
)
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=67950
[/QUOTE]
ok I have a ? how often should you feed them I feed Summer 2x day if I leave I put some kibbles out for her just in case she gets hungry. Sometimes she eats them and other times nothing, I feel like I feed her alot, 1/4 cup kibbles(NaturalChoice Ultra) ,boiled chicken 2 tbs. and 1/2 hard boiled egg chopped, sometimes cottagecheese. She doesn't eat it all but sometimes she does I feel were ok, but I wounder if thats to much food she loves it :D I just don't know
. so what do you guys think

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i feed my dogs like 3 times the amount suggested in the book. LOL.

and i feed my dogs 3 times a day because we needed gruffi to eat more...but he couldnt eat two large meals because he would get sick.

and about you feeding too much....i think doing the "fat test" is the best way to find out. i dont know what the test is called, but you're supposed to be able to feel their ribs when you touch their sides and if there's fat---then just cut back a little bit on the food.

at my vets office they have a pic on how a dog is supposed to look...not round and stuff. lol.

OR, just weigh your dog. if your dog is an adult, and you know that the vet said she's perfect at 6 lbs...then just weigh her every now and then.
i weigh the girls by standing on the scale by myself, then stand on the scale with one of the girls, and subtract.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I am debating taking Phoebe off of her mix (canned with her kibble). I noticed I cannot feel her little ribs, and last night I was giving her a bath and she looked all rolly polly!

I hope its ok but my Holli free-fed her entire life and I am thinking that I might just do that eventually with Phoebe too. It seems like she prefers her dry, because when I start mixing up her dinner, she is over in her bowl crunching away.

Today was the first day that I did not make her breakfast. I gave her a little grean bean and a milk bone
Tonight I will make her dinner as usual, and do that for awhile and see what happens.

I was finding that I was throwing away more than she was eating so I'm giving this a shot.

And shes chubby
so I know shes eating plenty.

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
i think with small dogs, its best to feed twice a day because if they go too long with not much in their stomach---then they can throw up.

maybe not free-feed and just feed 2 times a day and measure how much you give. if they still act really hungry...give a little more.

i also cut out ALL treats. i mean, i dont give treats much...maybe 1 every few days. LOL.

ellie has gained 1.5 lbs! so we've been trying to get her to lose weight. its hard. lol. cuz we'll feed her and then she'll just lick her plate over and over waiting for food.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Thats what I worried about, her being so small (or NOT ha-ha), but she does seem to nibble all day long. That shouldnt matter, should it? I mean it might not make for regularly scheduled potty breaks, but I can live with that

She loves those two treat toys (the groovy stick and busy buddy), so mayhaps I will fill one of those for her in the am so she can nibble while I get ready for work. I always make sure she has kibble available, per her breeder, and its working well I think.

I am also concerned about cutting out the canned food. Since its alot of moisture and real chicken, I think its beneficial to her, but maybe not necessarily?

I have an appt tonight about her pee problem at 6, unless I am stuck at work, so I will ask the vet. I dont think she likes my holistic foods so I dont know how much support she is going to be for me on this though

How big is Ellie usually? 1.5 does seem like alot of extra on a little body.

·
Registered
608 Posts
Originally posted by Holliberry@Jun 2 2005, 12:13 PM
Oh and I'd like to add back to the original post.  I have read somewhere that there have been studies that show dogs given a choice of foods prefer the same thing over and over.  Any comments?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=68139
[/QUOTE]

I saw a study that said that the same food over and over with no variety and contribute to food allergies. It recommended that you alternate foods. Again this is just one study so who knows.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
Well... kodie eats when he wants to... haha.. so i would let kodie eat all day long if he wanted to because hes sooo skinny! haha

How much of JUST kibble is your dog eating?

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
I have been told that, too, that its good to switch. My healthy food guy tells me he always mixes his foods. He said its ok if you are switching between brands of good foods, meaning you dont have to wean them on or off of them each time.

I dont know about the allergies though. I am curious if dogs really do prefer the same taste. I havent tested with Tubbo. She eats pretty much anything that she knows I didnt go to any trouble for. I always tell her I slaved over a hot stove for her, but she still doesnt gobble up her mixed meals.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts