Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been looking at a puppy i've been interested in and hes about 9-10 weeks old now. His ears are a shaded darker than his body and his fur isn't really white. Will his hair get whiter as he get older and is this normal for some malts? He is no question purebred but I was just wondering.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
it goes away for some and some it doesnt...parker had "lemon ears" when he was a pup...u cant tell n e more unless he is wet it is a differnet color.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
A large majority of the Maltese puppies you see today will have tan on their ears and on their back especially if they come from certain lines. In most cases, the tan will fade into nothing as they grow older. I don't think it is something you need to worry about. But there are cases where it doesn't fade completely.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Originally posted by snoopychan@Dec 13 2004, 12:29 AM
I've been looking at a puppy i've been interested in and hes about 9-10 weeks old now. His ears are a shaded darker than his body and his fur isn't really white. Will his hair get whiter as he get older and is this normal for some malts? He is no question purebred but I was just wondering.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22511
[/QUOTE]

jongees ears were kinda tanned, and also she had some tan stripes on her back as well..about 2-3 tan stripes..

i didnt really care, ears are sometimes tan color and i dont mind, and i thought her tan back would disappear too when she got older, and i think it did , i dont see it anymore

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by LadyMontava@Dec 13 2004, 12:32 AM
it goes away for some and some it doesnt...parker had "lemon ears" when he was a pup...u cant tell n e more unless he is wet it is a differnet color.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22512
[/QUOTE]

Same with Brinkley...
Even his tail which is sparkling white when it is dry, has a lemon tint when it is wet....Brinkley's ears were darker as a pup, but have faded now...

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Tuffy's ears were a fairly dark tan shade when I first got him but it's faded now and it's really hard to tell that they have a lemon tint to them.. He also had a lemon patch on his back and that's unoticeable now too. I actually think the lemon is kinda cute.. gives them character. :D

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Sunny had i would say a lot of tan on him when i got him i wasnt worried about it becuase he was the only one in his litter like that, i thought it was kinda cute lol wouldnt show so bad if he got a little dirty, but yeah after a month or so it looked like grown out hair color the ends were tan and the roots where white i got him a hair cut last week and now he is all white execte around his ears with i can see is mostly growing out to

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
Some tan or lemon on the ears is permissable according to our standard. Talk to the breeder about his/her lines. Some lines tend to have it and it fades. Some will hold onto it and it may be a sign of excellent pigment, or, it may be too much color in the coat.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
As you can tell from Chloe's picture she has quite a bit of lemon on her. In fact overall she is an off-white color. I saw her parents and they were both white, and I got her from a great breeder. She's only six months so I don't know if she'll ever be snow white but she does get lighter and lighter whenever she is clipped, regularly since we keep her in a puppy cut.

What's strange is that I've had people who have maltese (with beautiful white coats)ask me if she's a maltipoo. Their looks almost make me feel like they think she's inferior.

Usually people who don't have Malts recognize her breed right away. I did meet one gentleman at the vet who said Chloe is too cute for words and that Maltese are wonderful dogs.

I love my baby no matter what color she is...

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Dec 14 2004, 06:07 PM
As you can tell from Chloe's picture she has quite a bit of lemon on her.  In fact overall she is an off-white color.  I saw her parents and they were both white, and I got her from a great breeder.  She's only six months so I don't know if she'll ever be snow white but she does get lighter and lighter whenever she is clipped, regularly since we keep her in a puppy cut. 

What's strange is that I've had people who have maltese (with beautiful white coats)ask me if she's a maltipoo.  Their looks almost make me feel like they think she's inferior. 

Usually people who don't have Malts recognize her breed right away.  I did meet one gentleman at the vet who said Chloe is too cute for words and that Maltese are wonderful dogs.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23190
[/QUOTE]
Awww, I think she is adorable!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Originally posted by CandicePK@Dec 14 2004, 07:07 PM
As you can tell from Chloe's picture she has quite a bit of lemon on her.  In fact overall she is an off-white color.  I saw her parents and they were both white, and I got her from a great breeder.  She's only six months so I don't know if she'll ever be snow white but she does get lighter and lighter whenever she is clipped, regularly since we keep her in a puppy cut. 

What's strange is that I've had people who have maltese (with beautiful white coats)ask me if she's a maltipoo.  Their looks almost make me feel like they think she's inferior. 

Usually people who don't have Malts recognize her breed right away.  I did meet one gentleman at the vet who said Chloe is too cute for words and that Maltese are wonderful dogs.

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=23190
[/QUOTE]

Yup, Chloe looks pretty MALTASTIC to me!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts