Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have 2 maltese dogs, a boy and a girl. They are both spayed and neutered. My boy dog is slightly smaller than the girl and girl is definetly the dominant one out of the pack. Me being the absolute alpha ofcourse.

I got them when they were 6 months and they are not that close, but not close either. I work 8 to 12 hours aday and they stay together during those days.

Lately my boy dog has not been coming out of his crate even when I have been out for 10 hours. He is definetly timid, but he just goes in there and does not comeout. When I sit in the sofa, he comes and asks me to pick him up.

girl in the other hand is happy running around.

I am afraid of 2 things and need to find a solution. Could he be ill? but he does not seem to be at all. Secondly, could he be scared of the female dog and refuses to come out of the crate?

Thanks in advance. Any input would be grately appreciated.

·
Registered
9,288 Posts
I would always recommend ruling out a physical problem first. Particularly ask your vet to check for neck, back, and any other orthopedic pain.

If all is well, then try separating the dogs when you are not home. He certainly could be feeling bullied. Give him a week or two with the new schedule and see if you notice a difference. You might also try letting him out to say hello to you first so he doesn't feel like he might get pushed away by the other dog.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Lola sleeps in our laundry room at night, as Coco IS the queen here. She sleeps with us. When I go in to get Lola in the morning, she will NOT come out of her cage. I have to literally drag her out. It has nothing to do with being scared, as she has absolutely NO reason to be scared. We aren't scary. :HistericalSmiley::HistericalSmiley:But, for some reason, I cannot get her to leave her cage in the mornings. She'll go in there to sleep during the day, but when she's out, she doesn't act afraid and is her typically puppy self. I'm not sure that is so odd if your dog is acting normal, otherwise.

Now, if your other dog is harassing him when you're not home, that could be another story. We NEVER leave our two in the same place when we are away. I don't trust them together, even though they have lived together for 8 months. I would not leave them in the same space for a while when you're away and see if this situation changes. Good luck!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ms. iheartbisou, Your dog looks just like my boy dog. Which breeder did you purchase her from? Absolutely gorgeous.

Ms. JMM and Ms. CoCo, Yes, I have went into my bedroom and put my boy dog inside and closed the door to see what he does, He would not come to me, but only stayed in front of the door because the girl dog was outside. She always takes his food and they fight so much so I have to always give his on the sofa, or inside the crate while she eats on the floor because she eats so much faster than he does and she always wins taking his food.

I'll try the seperation thing with them and see what happens.

My boy dog has always been very quite and timid to the point I had to ask my breeder if he was sick. I have never seen such calm dog in my life. I love that about him because he is so easy to take care of, but the crate thing just started so I started to get worried. When I take him to other people's house to have him watched over, they do tell me that he does not come out of his crate because he is a mama's boy, but when I am around he just does not do that.

I will investigate further.

Thanks

·
Registered
5,653 Posts
i dont have any suggestions as i do not have two dogs but just wanted to say ur fluffs are adorable what beautiful faces!

·
Registered
1,502 Posts
I think maybe JMM is right and your poor boy is being bullied by the girl. Do you have a webcam? Is that how you know he doesn't come out of his crate all day long when you're gone? If your webcam is only in one room, maybe you can alternate which dog is alone in that room, so you can see how they each behave. I feel sad for the poor thing :(

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
8-12 hours is a long time for them to be alone, and he may be getting a bit unsocialized. How old are they now/how many days are they left alone like this? Is it possible for you to have someone come to your house to walk them/play with them some time during the day when you are at work (or a doggy daycare that is reputable with small dog area only)? They are adorable! :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Not sure if this will help or not, but if nothing eles it may make you smile.

I have Bentley and my husband has Bruiser (a Boxer)...I have to let my boxer outside first because Bentley will not let him outside! :) Bruiser is the gentle soul and Bentley is the sass! :)

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you all, I Love them dearly

maltlovereileen, Yes it is, but honestly I tried the doggy daycare thing and I was told by the lady that worked there that the girl had a blast playing, but my boy dog did not enjoy it at all. He is very timid.

I do take them to the dog part atleast 2 times a week and they like that, but lately it's been super hot so I don't think they enjoy it anymore haha.......

I just felt like it was a personality deal because when I first brought my boy dog, he just was always very quite and perfered to be with me only. My girl dog in the other hand always loved people and still does.

They do like riding the car though. When they know we are going on the car they get this huge smile on their face. it's really cute.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts