Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lizzie is 7.5 months old now, and has been spayed. She is still into mischief ALL the time and never gives us a break!!

My question is this: will she ever be able to just "sit there" and entertain herself and stop demanding our attention 100% of the time? She's got lots and lots of toys and flavored bones to chew on, but she'd rather bug the snot out of us. Calgon, take us awaaaaaayy!!!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Lexi is starting to get better at entertaining herself. I found something this weekend that kept her occupied for hours...An empty plastic bottle. OMG!!! She is still playing with that thing.

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo@Apr 21 2005, 12:30 PM
Lizzie is 7.5 months old now, and has been spayed. She is still into mischief ALL the time and never gives us a break!! 

My question is this: will she ever be able to just "sit there" and entertain herself and stop demanding our attention 100% of the time? She's got lots and lots of toys and flavored bones to chew on, but she'd rather bug the snot out of us. Calgon, take us awaaaaaayy!!! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54901
[/QUOTE]

Maybe she needs a sibling/playmate!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by tlunn@Apr 21 2005, 02:17 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54923
[/QUOTE]

That's EXACTLY what I told DH last night!!! I think it would be a wonderful idea to get her a playmate!!
However, DH seems to think I would have double trouble on my hands -- double the puppies getting into the same trouble, double the barking, double the poop on the floor. What I was thinking was getting an older dog, say over a year, who is already potty trained and spayed, etc., so Lizzie could learn from HER. Monkey see what monkey do!

What do ya'll think about that??

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo+Apr 21 2005, 01:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 21 2005, 02:17 PM

That's EXACTLY what I told DH last night!!! I think it would be a wonderful idea to get her a playmate!!
However, DH seems to think I would have double trouble on my hands -- double the puppies getting into the same trouble, double the barking, double the poop on the floor. What I was thinking was getting an older dog, say over a year, who is already potty trained and spayed, etc., so Lizzie could learn from HER. Monkey see what monkey do!

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54924
[/B][/QUOTE]

DH might be right...BUT...it also might be the answer to your aggravations too!
If not, you can keep the new dog, and I will take Lizzie!

·
Registered
939 Posts
Looking at Lizzie's face how could you ever think of getting something other than a maltese?
.... just kidding, she is adorable.

Tiki used to need attention all the time. He has mellowed a lot in the past year. He likes to sleep on a chair that faces the front door so he knows who is in/out of the house. If I am in another room he will run around to find me, give my leg a sniff and a lick and then back to his "spot". My family says he isn't quite so calm when I am not home, but he does entertain himself most of the time with toys and chew bones.

Love it while it lasts..... soon she will be sleeping on the couch and you will wonder why she isn't following you around anymore. Sort of like kids

Judi

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Originally posted by SpottyPoo+Apr 21 2005, 01:20 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-tlunn
@Apr 21 2005, 02:17 PM

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=54924
[/B][/QUOTE]

I think adopting an older dog is a wonderful idea. Just remember, though, that "perfect" dogs usually aren't given up, so you shouldn't expect to find one that is potty trained, perfectly behaved, etc., especially if you are looking for a dog that is fairly young. Most younger dogs are given up because they AREN"T trained (or at least not to their owner's satisfaction).

It's also not fair to expect another dog to train Lizzie so you don't have to. Puppies are a lot of work, as you are finding out, and there's really no easy way out of dealing with that stage.

Just my opinion, but I'd focus on Lizzie and her training and continue to work on bonding with her before you bring another dog into your household or it could be double the trouble as your husband said.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
First I just want to say that I love your new avatar pic Spottypoo!!!! SO CUTE!!!! I think in a few months Lizzie will be calming down. Peanut really calmed down at about a year old...now at 15 months I miss that little booger following me and always needing to be near me
Although it is so cute to watch him be so independent. These little ones are great, but I agree that you should wait till Lizzie is older before adding to your fluff family. The plus side of waiting is that they won't teach each other bad habits and that Lizzie will be a role model and help train the little one!

·
Registered
76 Posts
Am I doing something wrong? Tristan is about 4 months old now and as long as he's near my husband or myself, he can entertain himself in 30ish minute intervals. I love this little guy more than anything but sometimes I need to do dishes or clean the bathroom or whatever. So then I either crate him for a while or just gate off an area for him to play in that is near where I am (crate him in the bathroom while I clean) etc.

I find that giving a rawhide type chew will keep him busy for 30 minutes to an hour so that's usually my escape. I rotate his toys every few days so it seems "new"

But are you guys talking about the puppy entertaining themself for like 2-3 hours at a time? I guess I don't have that one down yet, although if I run pretty hard with him for 10 minutes then he's usually content to snuggle with me for a couple of hours. I really think my life would be easier if I bought one of those front style infant carriers -- I'd have my hands free and he'd be nearby!

·
Registered
894 Posts
Uhhhh, lets see, I was walking from the laundry room last night to the kitchen. Every step I took was followed by "no Sisse, no bite". I finally made it to the kitchen to put away the towels and finish up dinner, that task was punctuated with, "down Sisse", "no begging". In and amongst all of this commotion I was throwing the grasshopper, the elephant, the alien, the monkey. My hands are raw from washing them so much because everytime I threw a toy I had to wash them again!! Dinner would of really been great had I remembered to turn the oven on (was to busy being distracted by Sisse). At 6:30 I finally realized that I didn't "smell" dinner cooking!! Joe was just coming in from the studio and had that "where's dinner at" look in his eye. I pointed to Sisse and said "ask her"!! Entertain themselves????? I think not!!
I cannot even go to the bathroom without her whinning at the door (we won't come in because there is water in there) so we cry until Mom comes out..........

When Lizzie "entertains herself", will you please let me know so I have something to look forward to!!

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Now, that is just too funny!!!

And JC --
You've got your pooch in a better position than I do!! Lizzie'll last with a bone or a toy no longer than 10 minutes at a time.

How 'bout some older Malts? Like 2 yrs and up -- anybody got any older ones here??

1 - 20 of 63 Posts