Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,227 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
we've all been there i am sure ,looked at our beautiful little white dogs
face and wished the tear stains would just go away .We've
bought lotions,potions changed pet food, and tried Angel eyes ..
we've Looked at photos of our friends darling little dogs eye's and thought OMG .
Dear God, please could tear stains be a thing of the past ,so are little angels can look like angels once more . :innocent:

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
I'm optimistic.

Nikki had horrible tear stains for the first 1.5 years of her life. She's virtually tear stain free now.

Keiko doesn't have tear stains either.

·
Premium Member
5,461 Posts
Milo's never had any staining but it was a big worry for me.
I hope I will be so lucky with any future malts but I'm sure I will have to battle tearstains in the future!

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
I hope someday someone figures out the miracle cure! lol

London's tear staining was 100% gone when she was 1yr old and then came back all of a sudden several months ago...and now, it's growing out white again (although the old stains are still there).

Preston is a little over 1yr old and his staining has improved significantly but he does still have minor staining (he has LOTS of old staining but the new growth is coming in mostly white).

·
Registered
4,140 Posts
Wow, you are lucky. Rocky's tear staining is minimal but it still worries me that it will get worse. He's nine months, so I am hoping it improves instead.

·
Registered
6,246 Posts
Suzan, is that when you started home cooking? Do u think it has anything to do with that?
I started home cooking when she was 9 months old. She had tearstains until about a year ago. She's 2.5 now.

I don't really know why she had them, or why they went away. I wish I knew, so I could help others.

·
Registered
1,886 Posts
Pepper's are so much improved and I have no idea why...almost like she outgrew them. Hmmm......but they actually did show massive improvement at the exact time I switched to a dry face waterbowl.

·
Registered
10,733 Posts
3 of my malts are stain free but Rylee is a constant battle... he's 6 yrs old so he's not teething. Just one of those things,I gotta constantly clean his face,multiple times per day. He's always got a wet face...

·
Registered
5,433 Posts
I wish!!!!!! I was managing Lola very well until I moved. She teared a lot but didn't stain. Now I have been going though all of the remedies. Growing in white now, and I have managed to remove most of the staining, but it is a real pain. It only takes a very short time if it turns red to make a real mess.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I figured out Micky's were caused by any potato-based foods. We originally found out when I started feeding him NB's Duck & Potato. Then we switched to a chicken and potato food (trying to stay grain-free and also thinking maybe it was the duck), still he had stains. So we tried Lamb & Rice, and the stains went away. He does well on Beef & Barley too, no stains with it either. So for Micky, it seemed to be food-related.

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
I figured out Micky's were caused by any potato-based foods. We originally found out when I started feeding him NB's Duck & Potato. Then we switched to a chicken and potato food (trying to stay grain-free and also thinking maybe it was the duck), still he had stains. So we tried Lamb & Rice, and the stains went away. He does well on Beef & Barley too, no stains with it either. So for Micky, it seemed to be food-related.

It could also be the poultry, alot of dogs seem to have allergies to poultry (duck is considered poultry and i know alot of people tend to forget that). When i took Chloe off anything containing poultry her allergies where alot better and so was the tearstaining.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Nelson didn't have tear stains at all until he started teething. But he's still got it, and he's like 8 months now. I hope he outgrows it, as I don't recall any of his family members having tear stains. So I hope they go away over time.

Andy never had tear staining either that I can remember. When he was younger he did need some kind of tear duct surgery though, they kept getting clogged and infected. So maybe that helped. Not that I recommend that! But that made his eyes drier and he need eye drops from time to time, so maybe thats why his didn't stain??

·
Premium Member
8,623 Posts
Jo, I hope it stops soon. I know about tear stains! Zoey had terrible stains until she was a little over a year old and now she's pretty much stain free. Emy had some when I got her but its much better now and Tess was over a year old so once I got the old stains out she's pretty clear too. We still get one little strain of hair right from the corner of there eyes that will stain no matter how hard I try to keep it out of their eyes but I do remember how frustrated I'd get. I hope it gets better soon!
hugs to you and your gang. :grouphug:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts