Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Yesterday afternoon I got an email from the lady who was keeping Wilson, asking if there was any way we could pick him up earlier. So we drove the 3 hrs round trip and picked him up last night!!!!!!!!!

He was wonderful in the car- he didn't like his carrier, so I let him ride on the backseat and I sat next to him. He laid down and would sit up every now and then.

When we got home he was excited to run outside on his leash, he used the potty (number 1 and number 2) and then we brought him inside. We introduced him to the living room first, and he was very funny- he rolled around and ran between me and my husband. Then we took him into the kitchen and he looked around- he doesn't seem very interested in his water- or his food, so I am a bit worried about that.

He seems to be a bit nervous when we are standing up- so when standing we have been trying to make slow movements while making reassuring sounds.

He seems to be adjusting well so far!

Thankfully, my husband has today off work- since we weren't planning on picking him up until Thursday I had only scheduled Friday and Monday off of work.

He is pretty grungy- they have had a lot of rain where he was living, so today he will be getting a bath!

I took this last night

We made it through our first night. Wilson did very very well. We were all wound up and excited, so none of us had an easy time going to sleep.

I showed Wilson his bed, and then my husband and I got into bed. Thankfully, he isn't big enough to jump up on our bed. He tried, and we just ignored him- it only took him about 15 minutes to stop trying and to settle down. We were just drifting off to sleep when I heard him start growling I looked down to the floor, and he was looking at himself in the mirrored closet door! He was growling and backing away slowly- he was really scared of the mirror dog! So at 10 to 11:00, my husband covered the bottom portion of the closet doors so Wilson couldn't see himself.

He slept most of the night- either in his bed or on the floor at the end of our bed. At 2:00 AM when I got up to go to the bathroom, he got very excited, so I spent a couple of minutes with him, and then got back into bed. He tried to jump up on the bed one or two more times- but ignoring him seems to work- and he stops right away.

Oh- and no accidents all night!!!

Can anyone tell me- how can 6 lbs of fur sounds like a herd of elephants going up and down the stairs!??!!
I was worried he would be have a hard time with the stairs, uh- no need to worry there-- he flies up and down them so fast!

I can't tell y'all how happy I am to have him here- I have been waiting for him so long, and he is wonderful! And oh so cute!!!

I will post more pictures tonight, after his bath!

G

·
Oh I'm so glad for you that Wilson is home now.
That's great that things are going so well so quickly. He's a cutie!!

·
Registered
13,097 Posts
Oh what a little doll Wilson is!!! and I am so thrilled and excited for you!
It sounds like Wilson is going to settle in very quickly in his new home!! I bet he is going to just love all the attention!!!
Best wishes to you all!!

·
Registered
17,045 Posts
Congradulations! I know you are very excited to have Wilson home with you. He is a real cutie.

Herd of elephants
sometimes we refer to that sound as "Thundering Paws!"

·
Registered
571 Posts
So glad that Wilson has come home. I have thought of him often and glad he is in his forever home
He looks like a doll.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
yippee
, I know it is so hard to sleep the fist night. You worry so much and you keep one eye open to make sure they are ok. Sounds like he had a grand time last night and was so happy so come home with you.
congrats.

He is very cute.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you all for the congratulations. I am so happy! and I think he is too. He follws me around and whenever I say anything to him, or even just look at him his little tail gets to wagging.

Although, he is so tired- and as I move from room to room he sighs but follows. I think he wants me to sit down so he can get some sleep.

Few Questions:

He has only drank one tiny bit of water. I keep taking him in to the kitchen and try to get him to drink- the only way he will is if I put some on my finger, and he licks it off. I don't want to encourage that, but I also don't want him to be thirsty! Suggestions?

He also hasn't eaten. She didn't feed him dinner last night because of the long car ride, she gave me some of the food she gives him- and I put it down as soon as we got home last night. He doesn't seem interested in it, she also told me he isn't a big eater. But it's no wonder, she has fed him cheap stuff that is a really large kibble. So I put some of the food I bought in with it- and he did eat two small pieces. I won't worry about not eating until tomorrow- but I am worried about him not drinking.

He is really grungy and stinky- do y'all think it's ok if I give him a bath now, or should I wait one more day?

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
What an expressive face Wilson has! He looks a little worried, doesn't he? Like he really isn't sure what is going on yet!

Congratulations!

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 1 2005, 08:02 AM
What an expressive face Wilson has! He looks a little worried, doesn't he? Like he really isn't sure what is going on yet!

Congratulations!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=115594
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, we had only been home about 45 minutes when I took that picture, I am sure it will be awhile before he isn't nervous. This is his fourth (and last) home in 1.5 yrs! Poor little guy!

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Oh, he is a cutie and a very lucky boy! I'd go ahead and give him a bath. I bet he'll feel a lot better being clean and fluffy, etc.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Sometimes dogs get fussy about a change in water, too. It's often recommended when you travel that you bring along a jug of the water your dog is used to.

I agree that if he needs to drink some water today. These toy breed dogs can get dehydrated really fast. You can always force water down with an eyedropper. I have one of those big ones for babies. They are handy to have on hand anyway.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
He seems to like licking ice as well, so I will keep putting a few pieces of ice down for him- just to keep him drinking, and maybe onces he isn't so nervous he will drink from his bowl.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.