Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Virginia's State Bird ... is the Cardinal.

Sometimes when I am sitting at our dining table, and while gazing out the glass doors to our deck ... I am blessed to see a cardinal. I was able to take the picture below. We had a little bit of snow ... and, with the cardinal ... I was blessed to enjoy some winter beauty.

Did you know that the male cardinals are brillant red all over? And, the female cardinal is pale brown overall with warm red tinges in the wings, tail, and crest?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,521 Posts
What a gorgeous picture and thank you for sharing it with us. I remember or hearing about the male cardinal being bright red just like the male peacock is the one with the beautiful feathers.

·
Premium Member
24,028 Posts
What a perfect picture Marie. That cardinal is just beautiful. I love watching birds.:thumbsup: I believe that the case for most of the birds - the males have the more vivid coloring and plumage. We have Grosbeaks here in VT - the males are bright yellow and just stunning. The females look kind of greenish. We stopped putting out food because the seeds they dropped seem to look mighty inviting to mice who wanted to have their little snack in our house.:w00t::w00t: I hate not to feed or see as many birds but mice creep me out.

·
Premium Member
24,178 Posts
Marie that picture looks like it belongs on a Christmas card.:aktion033: I saw a cardinal one time, they are sooo beautiful. Thanks for the picture I really enjoy it

·
Premium Member
8,116 Posts
Oh, Marie. Cardinals are my favorite because they remind me of my Parents. {long story!!!}
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxox

·
Premium Member
2,210 Posts
Oh Marie, that is such a beautiful photograph! You could make winter greeting cards with that pic. Thanks for teaching me about cardinal male/female colors. I had no idea.

·
Premium Member
1,280 Posts
:aktion033: Marie Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture. I just love winter pictures. My sister is a master quilter and her specialty is art quilts. She has a beautiful quilt of 2 cardinals in a tree covered with snow. If I can find it among my pictures I will post it. I think I deleted them.. dumb on my part.

·
Premium Member
2,958 Posts
We are lucky enough to have cardinals in our yard, too. I love to sit outside and watch them and listen to their distinctive call. One year, they made a nest in some vines that draped over our back porch. I sat there one morning and watched as the mother and father cardinal shepherded all of the little babies to a new nest in a higher tree. It was amazing to see and I felt very blessed to be able to watch this little family without disturbing them. Thank you for posting that beautiful picture!!

·
Premium Member
10,201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
A big thank you to all of you who posted below. I'm happy that you enjoyed the picture. And, I loved reading about your experiences with cardinals and other birds, too. Today, on the phone, Kerry shared her cardinal stories with me. I hope she shares them with you ... very spiritual and beautiful.

What a gorgeous picture and thank you for sharing it with us. I remember or hearing about the male cardinal being bright red just like the male peacock is the one with the beautiful feathers.
he looks magnificent!
What a perfect picture Marie. That cardinal is just beautiful. I love watching birds.:thumbsup: I believe that the case for most of the birds - the males have the more vivid coloring and plumage. We have Grosbeaks here in VT - the males are bright yellow and just stunning. The females look kind of greenish. We stopped putting out food because the seeds they dropped seem to look mighty inviting to mice who wanted to have their little snack in our house.:w00t::w00t: I hate not to feed or see as many birds but mice creep me out.
Marie that picture looks like it belongs on a Christmas card.:aktion033: I saw a cardinal one time, they are sooo beautiful. Thanks for the picture I really enjoy it
Beautiful! It looks like a Christmas card!
Oh, Marie. Cardinals are my favorite because they remind me of my Parents. {long story!!!}
xoxoxoxoxoxoxoxooxox
Oh Marie, that is such a beautiful photograph! You could make winter greeting cards with that pic. Thanks for teaching me about cardinal male/female colors. I had no idea.
Marie -- what a lovely picture. Thanks for sharing. :)
:aktion033: Marie Thanks for sharing the beautiful picture. I just love winter pictures. My sister is a master quilter and her specialty is art quilts. She has a beautiful quilt of 2 cardinals in a tree covered with snow. If I can find it among my pictures I will post it. I think I deleted them.. dumb on my part.
We are lucky enough to have cardinals in our yard, too. I love to sit outside and watch them and listen to their distinctive call. One year, they made a nest in some vines that draped over our back porch. I sat there one morning and watched as the mother and father cardinal shepherded all of the little babies to a new nest in a higher tree. It was amazing to see and I felt very blessed to be able to watch this little family without disturbing them. Thank you for posting that beautiful picture!!
How beautiful!
so beautiful Marie!!:wub:
i love birds, have 2 canaries!
Awwh Marie, so beautiful :)
Hugs
Kat

·
Premium Member
13,437 Posts
Beautiful! I would love to see a red one, I've only seen one female in Ontario -we don't have them here at all.

·
Registered
4,604 Posts
Marie, I love it!! I don't think I've seen one in our area before...I'll pay closer attention from now on so I can spot one...they are so pretty!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts