Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you have purchased a dog from Wizard of Claws you may be interested in this press release.
Permission to crosspost granted-Anuraagii

Media Release

CONTACTS:

MI K. KIM, ESQ. MARCY I. LAHART, ESQ
Feldman & Getz, LLP Marcy I. LaHart, PA.
155 NW 167th Street 711 Talladega Street
Penthouse West Palm Beach, FL 33405
(305) 770-0003 (561) 655-9537
[email protected] [email protected]

December 12, 2003

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

PUPPY STORE SUED FOR MISLEADING CUSTOMERS, SELLING SICK PUPPIES

(Pembroke Pines, FL) Two South Florida attorneys have filed a lawsuit on behalf of customers that bought puppies from Wizard of Claws Inc., alleging that the Pembroke Pines pet store defrauds customers by intentionally misrepresenting the origin of the puppies sold, and by selling puppies that suffer from a wide array of health problems, including contagious diseases and genetic disorders.

Although Wizard of Claws has told customers that their puppies were imported from "reputable" breeders in South America, according to the complaint filed yesterday Broward County Circuit Court, in reality the puppies were obtained from large scale commercial breeding facilities in Missouri, commonly known as a "puppy mills", where animal welfare concerns are wholly secondary to profits.

Plaintiff Shannah Diaz of Miami purchased a Maltese puppy, “Prince,” from Wizard of Claws on September 6, 2002 for $950.00. Prince suffered from a congenital bleeding disorder, and died from internal hemorrhaging when he was less than a year old. After Prince died, Diaz began to suspect that Prince had come from a puppy mill, and asked a Wizard of Claws. "They assured me that my puppy had come from a reputable private breeder " Diaz .said, "but I later discovered that my puppy had been shipped to Florida from a commercial breeder in Missouri. " Wizard of Claws refused to reimburse any of Diaz's vet bills.

According to the Humane Society of the United States, the documented problems of puppy mills include overbreeding, inbreeding, minimal veterinary care, poor quality of food and shelter, lack of socialization with humans, overcrowded cages, and the killing of unwanted animals. To the unsuspecting consumer, this often means buying a puppy facing an array of immediate veterinary problems or harboring genetically borne diseases that may not be detected until much later.

Wizard of Claws, which claims to specialize in "tiny, tea-cup size puppies" sells puppies from its Pembroke Pines store and over the Internet. Plaintiff Mary Ibarra of San Antonio, Texas ordered an English Bulldog from Wizard of Claws, and knew that something was very wrong with her new puppy moments after "Gracie" arrived from at the San Antonio International Airport. Gracie, who had received a clean bill of health from Wizard of Claws veterinarian of choice Dr. Jan Bellows, walked on her wrists and she kept falling down on her back legs. Gracie was soon diagnosed as suffering from severe hip dysplasia with early onset arthritis. Gracie’s hip sockets are so bad that they do not have a cup to hold the ball of the joint, and she needs at least two surgeries. If the surgeries are not successful Gracie will have to be euthanized. Wizard of Claws refuses to assist with the costs of the surgeries, or to even reimburse the $1200.00 Ibarra paid for the pup.

The lawsuit, which alleges fraud, breach of warranty and multiple counts of violating the Florida Deceptive and Unfair Trade Practices Act, asks that the plaintiffs be reimbursed for the purchase price of their puppies as well as the veterinary expenses incurred as a result of the purchase an unhealthy pup.

NOTE: Some of the victims of Wizard of Claws and other animal lovers will be demonstrating outside the store at 9101Taft Street, Pembroke Pines tommorow, Saturday, December 13th starting at 11:00 am. Attorneys Mi Kim and Marcy LaHart will be present to answer any questions concerning the case.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
its just sick that people are so greedy to do things like this to living beings

·
Registered
346 Posts
Morgan came from a pet store..he had been there for four months and I couldnt' stand it anymore, I bought him to get him out of there, later to find out I was one of the only few who walked away with a healthy puppy! The first night I held him in the store before buying him, he smelled sooooooooooooo bad! I stunk the rest of the night on my clothes until I finally got home to shower and change.
The store was just shut down about two months ago for health issues and sanitation. I keep worrying about all of those other puppies that were there....what happened to them?

·
Registered
69 Posts
I dont know how people can be cruel to animals especially Maltese,

They are just so beautiful, their eyes are so expresive!

I'm just lost when I look into my Malteses eyes and when she shows that little bit of white. I'm just smitten......

Ah Maltese love

·
Registered
2 Posts
Another Maltese breeder to beware of is Hollybelle's Maltese. You can read about some cases filed against her on the Maltese Only Talk forum. It's so heartbreaking to hear these kinds of stories.

As long as we keep each other informed of cases like these we can prevent more puppies from enduring miserable lives and more people from suffering heartbreaking disappointments.

·
Registered
27 Posts
After reading on the Maltese Breed for about a "Year", It's funny because you go over the Do's and the Dont's and you can still buy an Maltese on impluse. The Biggest Dont was not to buy from a Pet Store, and that's exactly what i did. I drove all the way to Staten Island, it took for ever to get there coming from Queens. She was about to close when i got there. That's when i Notice it was a Pet Shop. It was like a Diva Shop for dogs. Very Clean. She had it set up like an Puppy Day Care. When i met Bushi, i saw him in a Doggie Crib beside 2 others. I thought that was 2cute. In less than 5minutes i bought him. SOLD!!! He's every thing i wanted in a Maltese. The only concern i had, was that she didnt ask me anything about my house hold. She Never Once Did a Follow up Call to see how he was making out. He came home with a Kennal Cough, and stood in the Hosptial a few days for not Eating. Price $600.00 Puppie $1100.00 Totals out to $1700.00 in one week. He's fine now, and i love him to death. He's still a Finiky Eater, but he's eating....
Wouldnt trad him for the World. Well, that's my Story. You live and you Learn. The End..

·
Registered
181 Posts
Let me also add....when shopping on the Internet for a puppy, I've found a few things to be aware of...especially if purchasing a Maltese. First of all, there are very few available in general....you'll generally have to call and be put on a wait list even if you want a sound Maltese that is not show quality....but raised well with proven good parents. Second, beware of breeders that sell more than 2 or 3 kinds of breeds of dog....they are nothing more than puppy mills. By the way, I did run across one on the Internet that had all kinds of puppies, including Maltese. You could get one for $4,000 immediately. Yikes! If that isn't a rip off, I don't know what one is!.

I also called the American Maltese Association and started networking from there.

Gail

·
Registered
162 Posts
This is really sad. I've looked at their website (wizardofclaws.com) several times just to see the sweet tiny pups, but i knew even if i had all the money in the world, i'd NEVER buy a malt from them.
I had a feeling they'd "get it" one of these days!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by babycoconut@Nov 5 2004, 01:08 PM
This is really sad. I've looked at their website (wizardofclaws.com) several times just to see the sweet tiny pups, but i knew even if i had all the money in the world, i'd NEVER buy a malt from them.
I had a feeling they'd "get it" one of these days! 

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=15026
[/QUOTE]

I've gone there to see the pics, having heard how cute they are. I think they are kind of distressing. The puppies don't look happy. I seems like it to me.

There is another issue that I have with them. They PURPOSELY breed white dobermans.

Breeders work for decades trying to eradicate the white gene-too many health problems. BUT-Wizard of claws is breeding them and charging a ridiculous amount for them.

I sent them such a nasty e-mail. (Made me feel better even though I never got a reply.)

Terrible. really terrible. sad. heartbreaking. There's a special place in heck for those 'Millers'.

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
This is another upsetting horror story.. I also do not understand how someone could ever treat a living animal so harshly... not to mention a Maltese.. I would have to agree that this breed is like a little person. It breaks my heart to even think of what is going on out there in this world to these poor babies.

·
Registered
7,741 Posts
look at this poor thing: did they think this was cute????

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Sigh....we have such a long way to go to protect furbabies from the unscrupulous and the unsuspecting...

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by Nichole@Dec 12 2004, 10:06 PM
Ohmigod!  Who would do that?  Was that pup from a pet store?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22427
[/QUOTE]

No, Nichole-that's from the wizard of claws website. That one is called, "My coat was so disgusting from rolling in feces that they had to shave me"

There's tons. I get the willies at all the puppies in actual teacups!!!!!

Makes me want to throw up.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
Originally posted by Airmid+Dec 13 2004, 05:51 AM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Nichole
@Dec 12 2004, 10:06 PM
Ohmigod!  Who would do that?  Was that pup from a pet store?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22427
No, Nichole-that's from the wizard of claws website. That one is called, "My coat was so disgusting from rolling in feces that they had to shave me"

There's tons. I get the willies at all the puppies in actual teacups!!!!!

Makes me want to throw up.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22556
[/B][/QUOTE]
Oh geez....that is just so so sad!
It is very sickening!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
They even advertise Celebrity Customers. Those poor Celebrities don't even know what they are doing. People look up to them, and making a huge mistake by buying from a pet store will make tons of others want to too. I like the Celebrities that ONLY adopt from shelters. They are proud of it too!
OMG looking farther into this site makes me even more sick! They have a section for their muts. they have a CHIHUAHUA/POMERANIAN! Oh yeah that was a good idea. That's going to be the most agressave barking annoying dog in the world. I can't believe how much they are charging for these things. How can anyone purposly "mix" these dogs and be ok with it? I can't believe their site is still on the internet if they are getting sued. That's outragious! They really need to get on with this case so they can shut them down and get the word out! And maybe these Celebrities will learn a lesson and pass it on.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Originally posted by FannyMay@Dec 13 2004, 11:41 AM
They even advertise Celebrity Customers.  Those poor Celebrities don't even know what they are doing.  People look up to them, and making a huge mistake by buying from a pet store will make tons of others want to too.  I like the Celebrities that ONLY adopt from shelters.  They are proud of it too!
OMG looking farther into this site makes me even more sick!  They have a section for their muts.  they have a CHIHUAHUA/POMERANIAN!  Oh yeah that was a good idea.  That's going to be the most agressave barking annoying dog in the world.  I can't believe how much they are charging for these things.  How can anyone purposly "mix" these dogs and be ok with it?  I can't believe their site is still on the internet if they are getting sued.  That's outragious!  They really need to get on with this case so they can shut them down and get the word out!  And maybe these Celebrities will learn a lesson and pass it on.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=22622
[/QUOTE]

You reminded me of another pet peeve-...doodles. Why in the world would someone pay 1000.00 for a labradoodle, claim it'll never shed, and it'll be the worlds best service dog?

I spoke to a woman the other day who just BOUGHT a cockerpoo. I saw a picture. It's a cocker spaniel with curly hair on its back. Huh?

It's a mutt. And I LOVE mutts, but I'd go to a shelter and pick up a mutt. Not a mutt breeder!!!! AGH....lol

Did anyone see the "special" puppies? they cost 3500 and up!!!! wha? for a sickly looking too young to go home puppy? That probably has at least Kennel Cough, if not parvo!
Sickening, absolutely.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts