Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the type of person to research anything before I purchase it (even shoes
, yeah i know
). I am trying to stock up on the things I need before my little Dash gets here.
So my questions* are:

What are the pros and cons are of the wizdog?
How long have you had same?
Approx. how long did it take your pup to get use to it?
Do you use newspaper or pee pads?
If you had to rate it (1-10) what would the score be?
Would you recommend it?

Thanks.

*If you can think of anything else you'd like to add, please feel free to do so.

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Aug 20 2005, 02:32 PM
What are the pros and cons are of the wizdog?  My biggest pro is that there are no wet paw prints all around the floor near the pad anymore.  I hated cleaning the floor like 5 times a day

How long have you had same?  We've been using it for maybe 6 months

Approx. how long did it take your pup to get use to it?  It took Peanut a while to get used to the grid.  He doesn't like walking on it, but I would say it was like a month before he got used to the grid

Do you use newspaper or pee pads?  I use newspaper in the wiz dog because it's free

If you had to rate it (1-10) what would the score be?  I would say it's an 8, I don't have to clean the floor all day anymore, but now I have to clean out the wizdog a couple times a week

Would you recommend it? I would actually recommend a different thing that is the same idea as the wizdog.  It's smaller, but they do have a model that is larger for about the same price as the wizdog (at least it was when I ordered it).  The grid isn't as hard on the feet for my guys and they prefer it over the wizdog.  It's also a harder plastic base, more durable in my opinion.

I will look for the site and come back with a link for you

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92622
[/QUOTE]

Here's the link It's the Yogi. Mystify79 actually was the one who mentioned this before

·
Registered
4,035 Posts
Mine is the newer grid, and the way Peanut acts it seems like it's painful to walk on. Tic on the other hand has big feet and nothing bothers him
I think the older grid would have worked better for Peanut

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
I have the Wizdog and love it. At first Lacey did not like to walk on the grid so for about a week I put the peepad on top of the grid to get her use to walking on it. It keeps her paws clean and dry. It took her a while to get use to pooping on it. At first she would walk off of it while she was pooping. Took about a week or two to get her to stay on to finish. It is great, if I am running late and can't get home right after work I know that Lacey can use the Wizdog. She does go outside to do her business but she is just as comfortable using the Wizdog.

·
Registered
4,856 Posts
Paris wouldn't walk on it (and I had the newer version). She hated it. I had to end up sending it back.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Laceys mom@Aug 20 2005, 10:32 PM
I have the Wizdog and love it.  At first Lacey did not like to walk on the grid so for about a week I put the peepad on top of the grid to get her use to walking on it.  It keeps her paws clean and dry.  It took her a while to get use to pooping on it.  At first she would walk off of it while she was pooping.  Took about a week or two to get her to stay on to finish.  It is great, if I am running late and can't get home right after work I know that Lacey can use the Wizdog.  She does go outside to do her business but she is just as comfortable using the Wizdog.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=92731
[/QUOTE]

Same here the new grid did not feel good to chelsey either , so i put the pee pad o nthere for a week and then put it under neath it after that. Now chelsey is a pro with it.
she runs on it and walks on it. They just have to get used to it. The old grid was softer feel but they puppy could bite it and rip the grid apart .Our rating is a 9 . I wish you could get two for the price of one.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Is the grid hard or is it just not soft?
How often do you have to clean it? Does it stain (if you use newspaper)?

My boyfriend is telling me to get it but im still not sure...

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Violet's Mom@Aug 24 2005, 05:32 PM
Is the grid hard or is it just not soft? 
How often do you have to clean it?  Does it stain (if you use newspaper)?

My boyfriend is telling me to get it but im still not sure...

<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93766
[/QUOTE]

The grid is made of hard plastic so they cannot bite it or lift it up. With the old one they were able to bite it apart. You can rinse it off easy outside in your back yard or in your tub or Landry tub. I don’t think it stains I never had that problem I Use the wee, wee pad in it... so Chelsey knows she can still use them anywhere . I hope this helps.

Edited :

If you decide to get it, you do have to train your puppy to use it. It's not just here it is go potty.

What I did was train Chelsey to use the Wee wee pad first, because I did not have the Wizdog yet. The following weeks when I got it, I put the wee wee pad on top of the grid and yes they do not like the feel because it feels different from the floor. Maltese are very smart puppies.. I went trough this with my first puppy she would not walk over any cracks on the sidewalk... she would just plup down on the ground if she saw one. I would have to pick her up or walk her around it. She would not walk on hard wood floors because she was used to carpet from the apartment. I had to teach my first puppy how to do that too. Anyway let your puppy use the paper or wee wee pad first then place it on top of the Wizdog with the urine sent for next time and say go putty. They will eventually get the idea and get used to the feel of the grid. Just keep using the wee, wee pad on top of the grid for like two to three weeks and then put it under after that. Then again let them use the wee wee pad while it is ontop of the grid then move it under so it still has the urine sent on it. And that's it. From there it is easy sailing. Every once in a while let them use the wee wee pad or paper with out the Wizdog.. So that if you can't take it with you . You can always carry a wee wee pad in purse and puppy will still go on it. Chelsey is a pro at using it. She runs over it all the time.. and then plups down quick does her thing and off she goes to an other adventure. The good thing about it is ... she will use it sometimes and then plup herself down on it to say she is done well because the pee goes under she does not get wet. She has never sat in the poo on it. Thank goodness. Oh yeah for that you can just pick it up with paper towel if it is hard.. if it is soft I flip it over and let it fall in a bag or something. Very easy to clean off. Sorry for the long post

·
Registered
131 Posts
You know, for $26.00 you can purchase two PetEdge Cat Welcome Mats that work on the same principle and get a potty surface of 28 in x 16 in. they are 14 x 16 inch each. You can find them at Petco, Petsmart and online. I have now moved from using pads to using cat litter inside that seems to mask the odor better than the pad. But I do cheat a bit. I place a 2 in. square of pad in the center just in case sometimes.
)) Hope it works as well for you as it does for me.

Michelle

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just bought a Yogi doggy potty for Bailey. It looks simpler than the Wizdog, and I heard it's more comfortable on their feet. It will take some time to train him to go on that as opposed to the litter box, but it's worth not always wiping his feet.

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Aug 25 2005, 09:30 AM
I just bought a Yogi doggy potty for Bailey. It looks simpler than the Wizdog, and I heard it's more comfortable on their feet. It will take some time to train him to go on that as opposed to the litter box, but it's worth not always wiping his feet.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93922
[/QUOTE]
Let me know how you like it.. I've been dragging my feet on buying it since I never saw any reviews about it. Puppyinstyle is a great website.. they shipped me a bed practically overnight!

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Mystify79+Aug 25 2005, 01:16 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bridge
@Aug 25 2005, 09:30 AM
Let me know how you like it.. I've been dragging my feet on buying it since I never saw any reviews about it. Puppyinstyle is a great website.. they shipped me a bed practically overnight!
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93997
[/B][/QUOTE]

yes I would like to know how it works as well. i need a second thing someing like the wizdog for our new home. Having two would be great. Being in canada I payed and arm and leg for one. I should have gotten two at the same time it would have saved me in shipping and extra taxes.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Aug 25 2005, 10:30 AM
[/QUOTE]

Hi, what are the dimensions of the Yogi? I could never find out the measurements when I was looking at the Wizdog as an option. And can the dogs pick up the grid by chewing on the side? Thanks.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Originally posted by mpd+Aug 25 2005, 07:00 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bridge
@Aug 25 2005, 10:30 AM

Hi, what are the dimensions of the Yogi? I could never find out the measurements when I was looking at the Wizdog as an option. And can the dogs pick up the grid by chewing on the side? Thanks.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94077
[/B][/QUOTE]
It doesn't give the dimensions, but a wee wee pad fits perfectly in it, so I'd say the dimensions are a little bigger than that. It looks like the dogs could bite the handles on it. Here is a link to the page: http://www.puppyinstyle.com/shop.cart?acti...od_id=PIS-PO-01

·
Registered
267 Posts
Well, the Yogi works, but I noticed when he was going #2, his feet were on the grid, but his hind end was pointed toward the floor, so most of it went on the floor. Do they do that sometimes with the Wizdog too? Most of the time with the litter box, he made it inside.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Originally posted by Bridge@Aug 27 2005, 09:18 PM
Well, the Yogi works, but I noticed when he was going #2, his feet were on the grid, but his hind end was pointed toward the floor, so most of it went on the floor.  Do they do that sometimes with the Wizdog too?  Most of the time with the litter box, he made it inside.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94557
[/QUOTE]

Was his front feet in the middel of the grid or was there just not enough room.
What i would do when chelsey was a puppy in training is when she would go off the grid doing her smelling for the right area ... i would make a grunting sound or a tiny growl then she new she was off of it. she never misses now. It is all a training issue. Wizdog , pee pad or yogi. When ever they step off of it before they are done just make a grunting sound. He will eventually get it. Oh and lots of cheers and treat when they go on it correctly.

·
Premium Member
1,959 Posts
We use the pad and holder and I like it. Ty goes outside too so we only change the pad once a day. I pick up the poo as soon as he goes and the pad is very absorbant so any urine is absorbed quickly. Now that he is older I have noticed that he very seldome uses it but prefers to wait to go outside. But he knows it is there if he needs it. If you purchase the pads in bulk (200+) they are very inexpensive )

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Originally posted by mpd@Aug 25 2005, 06:56 AM
You know, for $26.00 you can purchase two PetEdge Cat Welcome Mats that work on the same principle and get a potty surface of 28 in x 16 in.  they are 14 x 16 inch each.  You can find them at Petco, Petsmart and online.  I have now moved from using pads to using cat litter inside that seems to mask the odor better than the pad.  But I do cheat a bit.  I place a 2 in. square of pad in the center just in case sometimes. 
))  Hope it works as well for you as it does for me. 

Michelle
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=93883
[/QUOTE]

I got some cat litter grates like that at Petsmart. I think mine were 10$ each. They fit nicely in the dog litter pan over the wee pad. It does help with pee-pee paws for sure. They are somewhat of a pain to pick them up to change the wee-pads because there is no "edge"...but it has worked for us, and was a lot cheaper than the Wiz-dog. To clean them, I just use bleach and put them in the tub for a bit.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Originally posted by Chelsey+Aug 27 2005, 10:44 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Bridge
@Aug 27 2005, 09:18 PM
Well, the Yogi works, but I noticed when he was going #2, his feet were on the grid, but his hind end was pointed toward the floor, so most of it went on the floor.  Do they do that sometimes with the Wizdog too?  Most of the time with the litter box, he made it inside.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94557
Was his front feet in the middel of the grid or was there just not enough room.
What i would do when chelsey was a puppy in training is when she would go off the grid doing her smelling for the right area ... i would make a grunting sound or a tiny growl then she new she was off of it. she never misses now. It is all a training issue. Wizdog , pee pad or yogi. When ever they step off of it before they are done just make a grunting sound. He will eventually get it. Oh and lots of cheers and treat when they go on it correctly.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=94576
[/B][/QUOTE]
He was all the way on it but towards the edge because I think he was avoiding pee, he doesn't like to step in it. I'll look into the cat grids as well, thanks.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts