Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Woman jailed after calling 911 about pizza man

Wednesday, May 25, 2005 Posted: 8:41 AM EDT (1241 GMT)

CHARLOTTE, North Carolina (AP) -- An 86-year-old woman was jailed after police said she called emergency dispatchers 20 times in a little more than a half-hour -- all to complain that a pizza parlor wouldn't deliver.

Dorothy Densmore was charged with misusing the emergency telephone hotline, jail spokeswoman Mandy Giannini said.

She told dispatchers Sunday that a local pizza shop refused to deliver to her south Charlotte apartment, said Giannini. She also complained that someone at the shop called her a "crazy old coot," Giannini said.

Densmore wanted them arrested. Instead, police came to arrest her, and she resisted, Giannini said.

It's unusual for someone to face charges for nonemergency calls, Giannini said. But on Sunday, Densmore kept calling 911, even after she was told to stop, Giannini said.

When an officer arrived at her apartment, the 5-foot (1.5-meter) -tall, 98-pound (44.5-kilo) woman attacked him, Giannini said. Densmore scratched him, kicked and bit his hand, she said.

Densmore also is charged with resisting a public officer and two counts of misusing the emergency telephone system, jail records show.[/B]

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
That's too funny - lol

Spunky old-lady, huh? I wonder what kind of pizza she ordered, if it were pepperoni, I'd be pissed too!!

·
Registered
7,840 Posts
Poor thing...she is obviously losing it...

But she sure has some spunk left in her!

·
Premium Member
8,543 Posts
I hope something like this does not happen to anybody elses mother. This lady is sick loosing her mind and jailing her is not going to help. Law enforcement should know better when dealing with people of that age. We all are going to get there and we don't know what's going to happen to our minds. I don't think we would like to be treated that way. Don't think you are immune. It's not nice getting old.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by MalteseJane@May 25 2005, 11:18 AM
I hope something like this does not happen to anybody elses mother. This lady is sick loosing her mind and jailing her is not going to help. Law enforcement should know better when dealing with people of that age. We all are going to get there and we don't know what's going to happen to our minds. I don't think we would like to be treated that way. Don't think you are immune. It's not nice getting old.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65099
[/QUOTE]

What you said is so true. I work with people like this every day in the nursing homes. Just last week, I had to deal with a woman who called 911 to get them to demand that our home make an announcement about the sore on her face where she fell. I had another lady who would call 911 to tell them she was being held against her will. Of course we could deal with it better in a supervisied situation, and this is probably where this lady needs to be. I sure hope she gets the help she needs.
And while I'm on the soapbox, many elderly people develop change in personality that comes on suddenly as a result of UTI. They become paranoid and have hallucinations. When we do lab work, we can clear this up rather than shipping them off the the psych unit. So, if this happens to one your loved ones, take them to their MD for lab work.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by LucyLou@May 25 2005, 11:48 AM
And while I'm on the soapbox, many elderly people develop change in personality that comes on suddenly as a result of UTI.  They become paranoid and have hallucinations.  When we do lab work, we can clear this up rather than shipping them off the the psych unit.  So, if this happens to one your loved ones, take them to their MD for lab work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65108
[/QUOTE]
My grandma does that. It is the only symptom she has. They will find her waiting for her parents to pick her up. Ah, they never had a car and have been dead for over 25 years. She will call my dad like 20 times in 2 hours and not remember she had called him previously. At first the nursing home didn't believe my dad when he told them to test her for a UTI. They were like she doesn't have any symptoms. Finally we talked them into testing her and she did have a UTI. For some reason she doesn't have any of the symptoms. She just gets a little nuts (I mean that in a very loving way).

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
That's amazing about the UTI's - I never knew it could present itself this way in the elderly. Lexi's Mom - kudos to your dad for knowing about this and insisting they test your grandmother.

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by CandicePK@May 25 2005, 04:27 PM
That's amazing about the UTI's - I never knew it could present itself this way in the elderly.  Lexi's Mom - kudos to your dad for knowing about this and insisting they test your grandmother.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65210
[/QUOTE]
She seems to get UTI a couple times a year. She has been getting them for over 10 years. She also has diabetes so it might have something to do with the combo.

·
Registered
2,119 Posts
my first impulse after reading that was to laugh.. but reading the serious replies sobered me up a bit. i'm not quite sure what to say but YOU DONT JAIL AN 86 YEAR OLD WOMAN!!

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
Originally posted by LucyLou@May 25 2005, 08:48 AM
And while I'm on the soapbox, many elderly people develop change in personality that comes on suddenly as a result of UTI.  They become paranoid and have hallucinations.  When we do lab work, we can clear this up rather than shipping them off the the psych unit.  So, if this happens to one your loved ones, take them to their MD for lab work.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65108
[/QUOTE]

LucyLou is quite right. I work with the elderly, and whenever there is a change in behavior or odd behavior, the first thing we do here is test the urine with a special dipstick to see if they have a UTI. The first symptoms are usually behavioral. Poor lady! She needs medical attention.

·
Registered
54 Posts
my grandma calls the cable company to complain that her favorite character on her show doesn't get enough airtime. my mom had to speak to the cable company 5 times because she would call every day, sometimes 10 times a day. -_-

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
I was sickened and upset when I read this story in our local newspaper. Is this the way we treat our sick and elderly in this country!!

My mother had dementia and she did that exact thing. She thought that someone had stolen an extra TV (that she didn't have) and called 911 over and over again. She did that a few times. I ended up writing the police department a letter telling them of her condition, etc. Soon after that I brought her to my hometown to live in an assisted living home down the street from where I live.

Regarding the story, of course this woman resisted arrest... she was probably totally freaked out. And saying that she had been told to stop... how STUPID is that .... she probably has short-term memory loss and doesn't even remember anyone telling her. Telling her to stop... that is about the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

This woman needs help, not jail, for goodness sakes!

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Originally posted by Lexi's Mom+May 25 2005, 04:31 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-CandicePK
@May 25 2005, 04:27 PM
That's amazing about the UTI's - I never knew it could present itself this way in the elderly.  Lexi's Mom - kudos to your dad for knowing about this and insisting they test your grandmother.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65210
She seems to get UTI a couple times a year. She has been getting them for over 10 years. She also has diabetes so it might have something to do with the combo.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=65215
[/B][/QUOTE]
I just talked to my dad last night and he said they were testing grandma for a UTI. I was like dang we were just talking about that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts