Maltese Dogs Forum : Spoiled Maltese Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Grace will be 14 months old in one week....... she has NEVER went into heat.

We have been asked by family members to breed her so they can have a Maltese. Cheaper for them this way... they don't have to pay 300-1200 dollars.... lol.

We've got 3 people in our family wanting one. Well, if something happened and she had 4 puppies, guess I'd be stuck with another bundle of love, huh. But what happened if she had less than 3??? I guess I'd go in order that they asked. I don't care to breed her once, but I'm kind of concerned that she's never had her first heat. Is it odd for a girl to be this age and not have had a heat.

Also, I'm not going to breed her on her first heat. So, how long will it be before her 2nd heat will come???? Any ideas?

Could there be something wrong???

I'm concerned, but don't want to go to the vet just yet looking like an idiot, so I thought I'd ask my friends here first. All input is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by scottchelf@Nov 8 2005, 02:12 PM
Grace will be 14 months old in one week....... she has NEVER went into heat.

We have been asked by family members to breed her so they can have a Maltese.  Cheaper for them this way... they don't have to pay 300-1200 dollars.... lol.

We've got 3 people in our family wanting one.  Well, if something happened and she had 4 puppies, guess I'd be stuck with another bundle of love, huh.  But what happened if she had less than 3???  I guess I'd go in order that they asked.  I don't care to breed her once, but I'm kind of concerned that she's never had her first heat. Is it odd for a girl to be this age and not have had a heat.

Also, I'm not going to breed her on her first heat.  So, how long will it be before her 2nd heat will come????  Any ideas?

Could there be something wrong???

I'm concerned, but don't want to go to the vet just yet looking like an idiot, so I thought I'd ask my friends here first.  All input is greatly appreciated.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118020
[/QUOTE]

Scott, I have two girls who are full sisters. They were born in May of 2004. One had her first heat in January of 2005, and the other had her first heat in March of 2005. The one who had the March heat had her second heat in September. I did not breed her then because I think she is still too immature. The one who had the January heat has not had a second one. Their mom went 13 months between heats last time. I also have her sister, and they do not have but one season a year. Their grandmother, who belonges to my friend had a heat every six months. I've read that the average time is seven months between heat cycles in dogs. Some do come in every six months, but some take longer, so I guess that is why the average is seven.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
Just say "no" to those family members who want you to breed your dog so they can get a cheap Maltese!

This should give you an idea of the costs you will face if you decide to breed your girl. Genetic testing, testing for sexually transmitted diseases, ultrasounds and other prenatal care:

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/costs.html

Did you know that Maltese have a high rate of c-sections? Add another $1,000 or so to that figure depending on if your girl goes into labor during business hours or you have to take her to the emergency vet after hours.

Then, as you say, if she and the puppies survive the birth, your litter may consist of only one puppy.

So you've spent thousands of dollars, to save one relative a few hundred, plus you have the other 2 relatives disappointed (and maybe urging you to try again - more $$$!)

And you've also needlessly put your girl at risk for mammary tumors and uterine disease.

You still have time since she hasn't had her first heat to all but eliminate the risk of her getting breast cancer later on by getting her spayed.

And you will have a much beter family pet, too.

SPAYING YOUR FEMALE:

Makes an outstanding housepet devoting herself exclusively to her human family.
Prevents accidental breedings—creating unwanted puppies.
Eliminates the mess and inconvenience of a heat cycle.
Reduces the urge to roam or stray from home.
Reduces the occurrence of mammary tumors.
Eliminates the possibility of uterine diseases.
Eliminates false pregnancies which can lead to serious health problems.
Reduces the occurrence of mood swings and alteration in disposition caused by her cycle.

·
Registered
10,369 Posts
Scott - Listen to Marj. Get her spayed, and tell your family that there are several little ones in rescue waiting for a forever home.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Lady's mom is right about the expense. Also, a litter of four is rare. I'm happy with a litter of two--estatic with three!
One thing that was not mentioned is that taking care of a litter of Maltese is like raising a premature baby (believe me I've done that too). You must be prepared to stay up during the night to monitor their feedings during that time they "forget" to eat. I have a friend who had premature pups last year, and she was up ten days straight trying to save them. One of the four lived. That is Teaco's pup she got from her. Mom can usually do a good job after the first week, until they start weaning. Then, you become their caretaker. It is during this time that I stick close to home. I didn't get a vacation all summer because I couldn't leave my pups. I know you are home during the day, but have a full load with the children and housework. Add cleaning poop every hour (sometime washing butts), and making sure everyone is acting right.
Sometime when I have a depressed or anxious patient, and they tell me they are crazy, I tell them I own that diagnosis, they must choose another (good way to get them to relax), but there is some truth to it. Raising pups, especially Maltese isn't easy. Some of us are just crazy enough to love it though. :new_Eyecrazy:
If you do decide to go through with a breeding, I'll be happy to help any way I can, but if it's about saving your family money, then tell them they should pay all the expenses of the litter, as well as contribute something to you for the care you give them. I'll bet some of them will back out when you get them to agree up front to pay for c-sections and other expenses related to raising the litter. I'm just not that nice to my family.

·
Registered
17,659 Posts
You need to start with this checklist:

Is Your Female:

1. show quality
2. a champion
3. have both parents and grand parents that are champions
4. free from hereditary disease
5. parents and grand parents tested and free from genetic disease
6. mature enough to breed
7. tested today as free from brucellosis

The rest is here.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/checklist.html

Does Grace meet this criteria?

·
Registered
7,486 Posts
Another thing to consider is that the good breeders have a working knowledge of genetics and study backgrounds of the sire and dam to try and eliminate the possibility of problems. My understanding is that there is a lot more to the whole breeding thing than picking a male and a female and having puppies.

I know that the replies might not be what you had wanted, but I really hope you'll consider the suggestions and ask your family members to rescue, or purchase maltese from reliable breeders.

·
Premium Member
21,482 Posts
Count me in agreement to spay her and forego a risk to her life just so your relatives can save a few bucks.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by LadysMom@Nov 8 2005, 03:23 PM
You need to start with this checklist:

Is Your Female:

1. show quality
2. a champion
3. have both parents and grand parents that are champions
4. free from hereditary disease
5. parents and grand parents tested and free from genetic disease
6. mature enough to breed
7. tested today as free from brucellosis

The rest is here.

http://www.geocities.com/Heartland/Flats/7244/checklist.html

Does Grace meet this criteria?
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118043
[/QUOTE]

I don't want to get into an argument as to whether Scott should or should not breed his dog. That is his business. However, I do want to point out something that is well documented. While it is idealistic to have both parents and all the grandparents champions, it is not a set rule that this must be done before breeding. If so, everyone should expect to pay at least $5000 for a pet. Idealist and realists are two different things. For instance, I clicked on the Champions of Rhapsody, and this does not hold true for any of the dogs she has listed as hers, including Thriller. More important, this also includes dogs from other kennels including Divine, Chrisman, and Pashes. It goes back to what I said earlier about quality. Not every quality dog is a champion, yet may be capable of producing champions.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
To add to Faye's point, not every champion deserves to be a champion. Breeding a beautiful and healthy Maltese requires a lot of study and experience. I have been involved with the breed for many years now (I started researching Maltese since I was 12) but I only owned one for the last 6 years.

You could breed two non-champions and have a healthy and happy Maltese. I am still too afraid to breed but for anyone who wishes to do so .. please read up on it and have a vet and mentor on call.

·
Registered
2,942 Posts
Originally posted by CharmyPoo@Nov 9 2005, 01:14 PM
To add to Faye's point, not every champion deserves to be a champion.  Breeding a beautiful and healthy Maltese requires a lot of study and experience.  I have been involved with the breed for many years now (I started researching Maltese since I was 12) but I only owned one for the last 6 years.

You could breed two non-champions and have a healthy and happy Maltese.  I am still too afraid to breed but for anyone who wishes to do so .. please read up on it and have a vet and mentor on call.
<div align="right">index.php?act=findpost&pid=118329
[/QUOTE]

Thanks for adding your input, Charmypoo.
I have just had the crazies thing cross my mind. First, before I tell you and you think I'm a complete idiot, I want to say that I have not had any sleep because Liz wanted to kiss me every 30 minutes (I not sleeping with her tonight). She and Secret also started wrestling about two hours before time to get up (he may get put out too).
At any rate, when talking about people getting dogs from champions, I was just thinking about how puppymills and some backyard breeders are so eager to get dogs with a good pedigree solely for advertising they have "champion lines". One person even ask if I had a dog with at least two champions in the pedigree. They didn't care what it was, just two in there for advertising.
Now, my crazy thoughts.....Remember the man who wrapped his garbage in a pretty package and left it on the back seat of his car at the mall so it could be stolen and he didn't have to haul it off? Well, how many "champions" out there are wrapped in a pretty package with a title, then passed off to the unsuspecting person who only wants the pretty wrapping? I hope there aren't many, but I do know of several. In fact, in one breed, the #1 dog was known to have a problem with demodex mange, and in another breed the #5 dog threw pups with skin and bite problems.
What I'm getting at here is that having a championship or a good pedigree is only a start in developing a breeding program. If you don't work with a breeder who knows their lines and how they can combine with what they are breeding to, then you could be in trouble. Championship is not as important as what the dog has in it, and what it can produce. Of course, I do love those champions

Now, I'm off to deal with a problem patient who has been in 17 previous nursing homes, and is about to be kicked out of this one. I hope I don't fall asleep while telling her I'm taking her computer screen for two weeks as punishment.
Hope you all have a nice day

·
Premium Member
13,652 Posts
Scott I would suggest you read all the above responses as there is some very sound advice there for you.
My thoughts are that you are thinking of doing a kindness to your family but not to your little girl. If she were my pup I would never consider breeding her for the reasons that you are contemplating, the risks are far too great and not to mention the expense you are going to have just to please a few family members. The greatest expense could very well be the health if not the life of your dog should things not go smoothly.
I am no expert but if she hasn't had her first heat by 14 months I would be wondering if in fact she is going to be able to have pups, or she may have had her first heat without you even knowing and her second heat may be much more noticable.
Please thing long and hard about this Scott, if you are not highly experienced in the breeding of Maltese then I would suggest you don't risk it.
Just my thoughts

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.